Page 1 of 2
I just saw an ad in the paper up here in St. Paul, and Best Buy is now selling Fender guitars.
I know you're probobly thinking its starcasters or something, but you are a little off.

They are selling the new American Standards. At Best Buy. WTF.
(it is only at the two locations close to guitar center though)

What are they trying to do?...
steal some business from guitar centre by offering a popular model at a lower price than the main competitor in the area, namely GC.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
they have cheap strings/crappy picks...especially if you have a brother who works there :P
Hm.. makes sense if you think about it. Middle- aged men flock there to get enormous HDTV's, then they see a Fender guitar and start reminiscing. The $900 price tag looks small compared to the $2000 plasma they're bying, so they pick one up.
****ing sweet!!! my employee discount+New Jazz Bass=awesome supreme!
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

well really its called "Best Buy" so if your thinking that they just sell electronics and stuff they really sell more than that. if you think about it the name just suggests they sell stuff at a good price so maybe their just expanding what they have to offer
I heard about this awhile back. They are doing a test market deal for something for their bigger stores in large cities.
its not on the website cause ts just from two locations.

Oh, they also give 4 free group lessons if u buy one. Like anyone buying a American stray needs GROUP lessons or even lessons at all

I'll try and get some pics up soon
Chalk it up to the Guitar Hero and Rockband craze. It's a good move on their part, mainly because they'll hit the large groups of consumers that go in for the games themselves, or the accessories for those games. The ones that have been thinking "well, maybe I should try a REAL guitar..."

Unlike Guitar Center's strategy of trying to sell the Guitar Hero games to a consumer base already shopping for real guitars in the first place.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I would never buy anything from Best Buy or Circuit City, let alone a guitar.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~

GC's going down i loved that place.
If you think that's true you've never visited the Guitar Center in Union Square. You jizz your pants before you open the door. It's Mecca for guitarists.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i don't think i would be comfortable buying a guitar from best buy? just my opinion
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
i don't think i would be comfortable buying a guitar from best buy? just my opinion

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by danyellenik

I'd have to agree with you.

Getting a guitar is something you do at a guitar store, where the instruments are properly setup (or at least they should be) and where you have the opportunity to try them through a nice amp for a while.

I don't see myself throwing a Fender in my trolly any time soon.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I wouldn't personally buy one from there but its definitely a profitable opportunity.
Surely anyone willing to spend $1000 or more on a guitar has got to be a fairly professional player, and therefore would always go to an actual guitar centre...

Best buy, walmart etc, they should stick to cheap guitars where the casual buyer comes in an thinks "ah, a cheap little guitar I can mess about on, cool!" I doubt it would go something like "ah, a hugely expensive guitar for me to try out! an it even includes a free pack of blank dvds! cool!"
I think Best Buy is getting ahead of themselves. They should be stocking guitars like Epiphone and mexican Fenders, which are around $500, since nobody in their right mind would buy a $1000+ guitar at Best Buy, which isn't a music store.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
You'd generally want to try a guitar before you buy it (always, actually).. so unless they make an entire new section with a variety of good amps too, they're probably gonna sell very few guitars.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Oh come on guys....why are you acting like this hasn't happened before? Back in the 60's and 70's....you could find Gibsons and other big brands in places like Sears. Don't act like it's a huge deal....it's inevitable. Now that playing guitar is becoming more and more popular....it'll still making it's way over to big stores like Best Buy etc. It's how the market is.....until it dies down again. After it dies down again...big companies will see no point in carrying guitars anymore since there's no profit...then they'll stop. =)
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by _BucketHead_
Surely anyone willing to spend $1000 or more on a guitar has got to be a fairly professional player, and therefore would always go to an actual guitar centre...

Best buy, walmart etc, they should stick to cheap guitars where the casual buyer comes in an thinks "ah, a cheap little guitar I can mess about on, cool!" I doubt it would go something like "ah, a hugely expensive guitar for me to try out! an it even includes a free pack of blank dvds! cool!"

VERY untrue...I've seen beginner guitarists spend over $4000 on a rig. EX: The other day I found a guy on CL selling his custom shop Les Paul and Marshall JCM900 2x12 combo. He said he bought it becuase he wanted to learn how to play but now he has no time for it.

People will buy anything if they're ignorant enough....
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by voodoochildsr22
VERY untrue...I've seen beginner guitarists spend over $4000 on a rig. EX: The other day I found a guy on CL selling his custom shop Les Paul and Marshall JCM900 2x12 combo. He said he bought it becuase he wanted to learn how to play but now he has no time for it.

People will buy anything if they're ignorant enough....

Yes, but the people who buy American Fenders as their first guitars are usually able to afford private lessons.

On top of that, I reckon the groups will be way to diverse to work. Unless they have a bunch of different groups for different styles and skill levels, it will be pretty much impossible.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes, but the people who buy American Fenders as their first guitars are usually able to afford private lessons.

On top of that, I reckon the groups will be way to diverse to work. Unless they have a bunch of different groups for different styles and skill levels, it will be pretty much impossible.

Doesn't matter if they can afford lessons or not...bottom line is people who are ignorant would actually buy guitars from places like Best Buy. So all in all....Best Buy isn't too off with selling American Fenders. Soon, they'll start selling other brands too.

Why not? I mean...you do a lot of other shopping for other things in Best Buy...why not just stay in one place and buy a guitar there too while you're buying your TV and Computer? =) That's how someone may think if they're looking at those nice Fenders, are ignorant enough, and have enough cash to throw around on a guitar randomly.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by voodoochildsr22 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Doesn't matter if they can afford lessons or not...bottom line is people who are ignorant would actually buy guitars from places like Best Buy. So all in all....Best Buy isn't too off with selling American Fenders. Soon, they'll start selling other brands too.

Sorry I slightly misread the last posts.

Anyway, yes, from Best Buy's point of view this is probably a good decision.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Sorry I slightly misread the last posts.

Anyway, yes, from Best Buy's point of view this is probably a good decision.

Yeah, it sucks but it's how crap like that happens when you begin to make things as popular as guitar is at this point in time.

They sell Guitar Hero games there....people who play guitar hero and are looking to pick up a real guitar may see the Fender and say "wow, nice guitar...I want one!" Then either their parents buy them....or an older man living off his pension buys one.

For the parents point of view...they have no clue...they just want to make their kid happy. SO they pick up a nice guitar from best buy...saves them the trip to the guitar shop....

For the older man's point of view; "Hey, why not pick up this nice guitar? It's from a reputable business like Best Buy...it must be decent. Might as well since I'm already here....maybe I'll pick it up now and then to strum a few chords.

The probability of someone buying a guitar from Best Buy as actually higher than you think.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Why would you not buy a guitar just because its a Best Buy ? Its not like they infect the guitars with phail just because they are in the store. An American Standard is a pretty known quantity to any experienced guitarist, I don't see why you would have to have a huge try out session with it. You can learn a great deal about a guitar by playing it without it being plugged in, especially if you are familiar with guitars in general. And its far better than a beginner can find anywhere else, like Wal-Mart.
Quote by Fat Brian
Why would you not buy a guitar just because its a Best Buy ? Its not like they infect the guitars with phail just because they are in the store. An American Standard is a pretty known quantity to any experienced guitarist, I don't see why you would have to have a huge try out session with it. You can learn a great deal about a guitar by playing it without it being plugged in, especially if you are familiar with guitars in general. And its far better than a beginner can find anywhere else, like Wal-Mart.

It's probably becuase people are afraid it's going to become this big commercial/corporate hackjob. However, they fail to realize that it already has become that way....and has been for years.

I wouldn't mind buying a Strat from best buy...just as long as it's in it's respectable box and has remained unplayed. Also, if it was overpriced I definately wouldn't buy it.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Maybe they're trying to appeal to the Guitar Hero kids that hang out in the video game sections.
Could one of you just explain to me, why it would be bad to buy an MIA Fender, in a store like BB, cheaper than anywhere else?
Were all guitar players here, and we've all, one way or another, complained about the price of a guitar.

Seriously, explain.
Quote by Y00p
Could one of you just explain to me, why it would be bad to buy an MIA Fender, in a store like BB, cheaper than anywhere else?
Were all guitar players here, and we've all, one way or another, complained about the price of a guitar.

Seriously, explain.

Mainly becasue I like the option of trying a guitar in the comfort of a sore and through an amplifier. On top of that, playing in a store gives you the option to compare it with other models and most stores actually know how to setup an instrument.

Even bigger places like Sam Ash and GC have a nice-ish atmosphere (depending on the amount of other people there).
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 2, 2008,
I just got back from Best Buy!

Played a Gibson Les Paul Standard through a Vox AC30...

I think it's cool, Best Buy is like 15 minutes away, while GC is like 30, and the people at BB aren't really bothersome.

They also have way low prices on everything. Gibby LP Standard is 1999. Twin Reverb is 849. Vox AC30 is still 999.
High as tits
Quote by thankyougermany
I think Best Buy is getting ahead of themselves. They should be stocking guitars like Epiphone and mexican Fenders, which are around $500, since nobody in their right mind would buy a $1000+ guitar at Best Buy, which isn't a music store.

They have Standard Strats and Epiphone LP's...They have First Act guitars, and cheapo Parkers, as well as the more expensive Fly's.

They have everything.
High as tits
Page 1 of 2