Ok for about two weeks i have been committing to learning theory and the G Major scale, so to do so I have been playing the whole scale starting at the first note on the E string, F sharp and running down all the notes to the end of the E string and back up and then doing th e same thing on the remaining strings and then starting over, is this an ok approach to learn it, i dont play it that fast and i usually pratice it for about an hour each day, i just want ot make sure im doing this right and not doing something that wont help me learn it

Thanks!

hopefuly this wasnt confusing
errr... i just learn the intervals for the major scales. then u just find the note and you,re away.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

It's also helpful to practise them in sequenzes, that means you play a G then the next higher note, the a, than again the g and then again the a then h,a,h,c,h,c,d,e,d,e,f... up to the g and the the whole thing down again.

Hope it's not as confusing as it looks...
^^Intervals are great(but it requires that you have thoroughly memorized scale formulas) which is good. But I don't think you're doing anything wrong. If you play them slow over the fretboard and recite the notes you are playing, you're off to a very good start.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
(but it requires that you have thoroughly memorized scale formulas

the scale formulas aren't that hard.

recite the notes you are playing

That's a very good thing to do.

I'd also recommend my method to learning the fretboard. It'll help you see the intervals in the scale at the same time as you memorize the scale. It'll also help you see the scale over the entire fretboard instead of just as vertical slices or "box" shapes.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799182
Once you have learned the scale one way, make sure you try something different with it, knowing just one way to play a scale will do you know good.

From what I gather from your post you are playing the aeolian mode, (G maj starting on E), which is actually minor, so if you are just beginning theory training this could be counter productive.

I would start by learning the basic pattern for the major scale. Know the positions, notes, intervals, and most importantly the sound. From there, find different positions and ways to play the scale. You could play it in fourths (G, C, A, D etc.) or from the highest note on your guitar to the low E. One of the things I find most useful is to play through the scale using triad based on the starting note, (G B D, A C E, A D F#)

I hope this helps
^ as this man stating, technically you're playing E minor, not G major. start on the G and play up to the next G. you will hear how it resolves differently.
im kind of confused why i shouldnt play that first f sharp, because even if i start that half step down on g, im still going to be playing the other f sharp once i hit the 14th fret right?
You're technically playing the sounds that make up the G major and the natural e minor scale (and also other modes). There's nothing wrong with that, but if you really want to play a G major (and nothing else), start and end your scale on a G. Starting on F# makes your scale be a locrian... also useful, but not so common.
To make it clear, the G major is: G A B C D E F# G in that order. If you play the same notes, but start and end the scale elsewhere, you get the different modes: dorian from A, phrygian from B, lydian from C, mixolydian from D, eolian (or natural minor) on E and locrian from F#.
Quote by HeadSouth!
oh ok thanks i get it now

Keep in mind that the progression determines the mode. You can start on F# all you want, but if the progression is in G major, you're playing G major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 2, 2008,