The most commonly recommended tube amps, like the blackheart little giant and Epi VJ, seem to plateau at around $250. If I was willing to be spent a bit more, like $500, is there anything better I could get in the same category? I'd use it mostly as a practice amp.
Badcat! Those things kick ass.

Or the Peavey JSX mini collosal.

Or if you want cleans, get a 1960-something Fender Champ.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
The thing is though, you can buy a Valve Junior or competitor and mod it to the specs of any of the fancy ones like the Gibson and BadCat for probably less than the cost of the more expensive one. That's the thing with these 5 watters, the circuits are so damn simple...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The thing is though, you can buy a Valve Junior or competitor and mod it to the specs of any of the fancy ones like the Gibson and BadCat for probably less than the cost of the more expensive one. That's the thing with these 5 watters, the circuits are so damn simple...

+1
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by MrCarrot

+5

theres a dude i know who has spent probably $25-50 max and has his vj sounding better that amps 3-4 times the price

its ridiculous what you can do with those lil bad boys
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
The laney lionheart series is supposed to be fantastic.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Yeah either mod the **** out of a VJ or bet an Orange Tiny Terror (the lowest they go is 7 watts but still)
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by MrCarrot

When you say mod, what do you mean? Replace the tubes?
^He means change out parts in the circuitry.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by acdcrocks0323
That and change some of the circuitry.

or changing the speaker and such

or going extreme and adding tubes

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Modding refers to changing to circuitry. Replacing speakers/tubes are really just upgrades
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
Modding refers to changing to circuitry. Replacing speakers/tubes are really just upgrades

adding an extra power tube or pre amp tube on something like a vj is more than just an upgrade imo

Quote by Dempsey68
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Theres that one Gibson one that is $300. I have no experience but it is supposedly handwired and really good.

That's the one I'm eyeing right now, the Gibson Goldtone GA-5. It retailed for $700 when it came out but MF has dropped down to $300 (for a limited time, maybe) and some other retailers have matched their prices. They're handwired and made in the USA, seems like a really good deal.
Quote by the boogieman
adding an extra power tube or pre amp tube on something like a vj is more than just an upgrade imo

Yes, I know. I didnt say anything about adding tubes. I was talking about replacing them
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted