I've been playing bass for 6 years. Due to a shortage of guitar players in my area, I've decided to switch to guitar to complete a band line-up. Meaning, we can find a bass player, but not a guitar player. Does anyone have any advice for an experienced bass player switching to guitar? I'm not just going to be a bass player that happens to play guitar in a band. My plan is to put my bass up, buy a guitar, and devote myself to becoming a good guitar player.

Thanks.
You'll have to spend a fair amount of time learning to pick properly, but your left hand should be well prepared for the guitar. The theory is all the same, of course.

You might have some trouble accepting that the highest string (in pitch) is E rather than G. My guitar teacher was messing around with a bass for a bit and he told me that he was fine on the low E, A, and D strings, but always wanted to treat that G string like a high e string. I'm sure the opposite will happen to you, but you should get over it soon enough.
My advice, buy a 6string bass. You're probably not going to do that, though, are you :p.

but always wanted to treat that G string like a high e string.

I actually find that surprising. I play them both, and it's really not that difficult to switch back and forth. Guitar isn't that different. The main thing I would say is you *don't* need to press down as hard. Be gentle, relax.
Quote by mCarny
My plan is to put my bass up, buy a guitar, and devote myself to becoming a good guitar player.
That's...the noblest thing I've ever heard. Other then the addition of that pesky 3rd between G and B , it should just be matter of learning chord comp.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
So... In your area there are plenty of bass players and not enough guitar players? Weird.

My advice is don't get descouraged learning chords. That's the biggest difference between playing guitar and bass to me, and I can imagine it would be strange learning to play several notes at once after 6 years of monophony.