Is the Epi Black Beauty worth the extra money? It looks crazy sexy, but as far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the Epi LP Custom Ebony is an extra humbucker.
What does the Middle Humbucker do?

Wouldn't it just produce the sound when you have the toggle pointed up on a regular Les Paul?

I'm probably wrong though so please correct me.
Well instead of having 2 vol 2 tone you have 3 volume controls and a master tone. Meaning that you get more versatility.
I see the middle pickup on the black beauty as something of a gimmick...generally most people have the attitude that more = better

I'd go for the custom, you won't be disappointed
Quote by minibrowny
Well instead of having 2 vol 2 tone you have 3 volume controls and a master tone. Meaning that you get more versatility.

Actually, it's just 2 volume and 2 tones. My brother has one and it works like that...

Also, to TS, some people think the middle humbucker gets in the way of picking, so you think about that.
yeah it does kinda get in the way, my 3 pickup lp can be a little annoying for that at times and the 3rd pickup really is a gimmick

it looks ****in hot tho
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Alright then, that makes life simpler. I play some light metal, rock, and some soft rock, mostly.

Anything from Metallica to ACDC to RHCP to Guns N Roses.
Also the pickup selector is different. On the Black Beauty it's Neck/Middle, Middle, Bridge/Middle whereas on the custom it's Neck, Neck/Bridge, Bridge.

I think...
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30
3r dpickup has a;ways been a gimmick....thats where Ace would put the fireworks in KISS. To look cool, and hide teh TNT.
this is kind of related, but I'm just saying: On a strat, the middle pickup gets in the way for me, and its not humbucker sized, so I can't imagine playing a 3 humbucker guitar.

But I still like the sound of the mid pickup on the strat, so I just lowered it.
Probaly the LP. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra and it is the best guitar I have ever played so far besides a Gibson Les Paul.
I've seen both and they have slightly different color tone (if you wanna buy a black Custom), and the BB looks a lot sexier. The middle humbucker is going to NOT be used, so it'll be a choice of appearance. I suggest getting a white Custom because it's a bit less seen and the BB isn't such a value.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I dislike the white color, though :S

I think the BB and the LP Custom look the same besides the pickups though... Are there any other differences?
BB is a BEAUTY

putting a fourth bucker is even better. The more the merrier! Even better, stuff as many Lipstick coils were a bucker can't fit..... pup orgy
Quote by mondaymonkey
BB is a BEAUTY

putting a fourth bucker is even better. The more the merrier! Even better, stuff as many Lipstick coils were a bucker can't fit..... pup orgy

Where would you even find a place to put a fourth humbucker?
I have a black beauty and i can honestly say its pretty awesome
Its very useful if you use the mid bucker a lot
You can also mod it to have a greater number of pup combos
The middle humbucker is pretty useless if you're just Joe Average looking for whatever guitar to play. 'Extra' things like middle humbuckers, tremolos, coil taps, active boosts and so on, are great if you know you want that feature and will make use of it - but if you don't know you specifically want that feature, then nine times out of ten you'll probably find you never really use it.

It's the same with any guitar really - if you have to ask other people "would this suit me?", "which of these should I get?", and so on, then the answers is: don't get it. You should only get something if you already know it is the right instrument for you.

My advice is, save the money (at first), get a Custom. Then, use the money you saved to upgrade to nicer pickups, or a better nut, or better tuners, or so on. Maybe get yourself a nice pedal, or whatever. You'll be happier with a Custom +mods/other crap than with just a Black Beauty when you don't even know if you'd ever use the middle pickup.

Also, the BB has less sustain, thanks to the big ol' hole the third pickup takes up. Always worth considering.