I read through the sticky's and would like some advice. Short background. I used to play in H.S., bought my first guitar about 13-14 years ago (Kay Starter Series, single bridge humbucker) with a generic practice amp. Sounded okay. Wanted a bigger amp, got a Peavey Special 130, again sounded okay but not great. Graduated H.S., bought a Squier Affinity. That really sounded awful with my amp. About 5 months ago I sold all my gear, so right now I don't think I have anything except a guitar strap.

(a) What do you want to buy?

Want to buy an electric guitar. Been looking at a dual humbucker guitar. Have been thinking of an Ibanez RG321, but still open to other options.

(b) What is your budget?

About $500 for guitar and amp.

(c) What type(s) of music do you want to play?

Tops 2 guitarists for me: Alex Lifeson & Adam Jones. Hard rock and heavy metal. Big prog fan, for clean music I like warm tones, love the overdriven tube sounds of Lifeson between 2112 and Moving Pictures. I'm a huge Rush fan so that is a lot of what I'll be trying to play.

(d) Current gear:
No gear except a guitar strap.

(e) Skill level:
Punk rock, some Metallica intros, some Pink Floyd. Pretty much stuff I listened to in H.S. Never was very good at solos which is an area that I wish to focus on.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by thr_wedge at Mar 2, 2008,
Yeah man an ibanez guitar would probably suit you well. Also Check out ESP guitars. Dont know if you want a floating bridge but check out their guitars. I love mine. As for an amp i dont know if you are going to be able to get something nice on that budget. But just go to your local guitar store and play a bunch of amps with a guitar that is going to be very similar to the one you are going to get, and see if you fine something you like at the price you want.
Thanks guys.

I was looking at that Palomino V8 as well. I saw a couple videos on youtube and it sounded nice.

I'll need to go to the store/stores (I live in Austin, TX - live music capital of the world!) and start checking stuff out, this helps me at least get started.

My first guitars were more impulse buy than an educated choice and going into any of the big chains sends you into sensory overload if you don't know what you are looking for!!!
Looked at the RG321, body is a little thick on it, but one of my coworkers said that the thicker bodies tend to have a little nicer tone compared to the thinner bodied guitars.

Any opinions on some of the Jackson's or ESP LTDs? Those caught my eye as well.
No decent Jacksons or ESPs in your price range. I would say go with a Roland Microcube, then spend the rest on an Ibanez RG321. That's probably the best you're gonna do at that price. A tube amp that cheap will pretty much be a one-trick pony unless you buy a pedal as well. You won't get any decent metal tones out of it on its own. But if you can afford a good distortion pedal to go along with it, then there are advantages. The tone will be a lot better than any solid state, and it will be able to get DAMN loud. It may be a little too loud if you live in an apartment, though.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I've read some good things about the Roland Cubes on UG and elsewhere, so I'll have to check those out.

I live in a house, but don't want anything that requires going too loud to sound decent. That was the problem with the old amp, it was way too powerful and to get some decent distortion required a LOT of volume.
How does the Epi Studio LP compare to the Ibanez RG321?

How do either of those compare to a Squier Affinity Strat?

I'm leaning towards a Roland 20x and either the RG321 or an Epi LP Studio ATM.

Thanks!
Quote by mafropetee
No decent Jacksons or ESPs in your price range. I would say go with a Roland Microcube, then spend the rest on an Ibanez RG321. That's probably the best you're gonna do at that price. A tube amp that cheap will pretty much be a one-trick pony unless you buy a pedal as well. You won't get any decent metal tones out of it on its own. But if you can afford a good distortion pedal to go along with it, then there are advantages. The tone will be a lot better than any solid state, and it will be able to get DAMN loud. It may be a little too loud if you live in an apartment, though.

+50000
Roland Microcube,RG321

Perfect

haven't heard anything about the epi studio, but the rg321 you cant go wrong with.

as for the cube 20, i have actually heard the microcube is better. you should try them both out and see which one you like.

as for the squier, i would stay far away from it. bad pups, bad bridge, bad body wood,
bad neck(for me), and bad tuners

the rg321 is superior in many ways to the squier. if you ever want to upgrade it then it will be a really good guitar. it already is.
+1 for Alex Lifeson first of all... I agree with the Roland Micro Cube.. its amazing for $130 and for guitar the Epiphone Dot Studio would be good guitar for Lifeson I believe, but as previously stated you cannot go wrong with Ibanez either...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572.gc

this guitar gets nothing but good reviews and it is double humbucker, its very cheap, and the money you have left you could get your self a decent wah and or get your guitar set up with preferrable strings... but no tremolo so a lot of Lifeson's solos would be out of the question.... or they have the..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar-512496-i1147802.gc

not sure if this was stated yet, but it could cover all grounds...
BGrem261, thanks for the suggestions.

I have thought about a semi-hollow to get that Lerxst tone...

That Dean looks like a steal too.

Some great choices, it will at least put me in the right direction!