I've been dependent on tabs for awhile and it's finally time for me to learn songs by ear. I need something simple that I can tab out by ear. I've had a hard time finding a song with a bass line that's not buried under the drums or guitar. I've only done one song which was longview by green day and it came out pretty well. But I'm getting frustrated because I can't find anything else with a simple bass line like that. Please suggest me something simple to tab out, no metal please. Preferably something blues, jazz, or classic rock.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
try with wolves in wolves clothing by NOFX(trust me the first part is really nice)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Try straight ahead, simple rock songs. Ones with just a few changes. Velvet Revolver for example.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Try Garden Grove by Sublime. It's a cool little riff once you figure it out. It's not that hard to figure out too.
For blues, try "Born under a bad sign", "I'm Tore down", "Stormy Monday (Allman's brothers version), "Hootchie Coochie Man". Blues is a great place to start learning to train your ear because for the most part it follows some standard patterns and devices.
you shouldnt be able to hear bases, anyway all the notes just sound like a huge enourmous fartz
silly boy
Basses
Ibanez srx300
Ibanez srx595
Amp
Trace Elliot GP12SMX Head
Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10
Trace Elliot 1518 1x15
Hartke VX210 2x10
Quote by Varkunus
you shouldnt be able to hear bases, anyway all the notes just sound like a huge enourmous fartz

*Reported*
Try like classic rock sorta stuff.
AC/DC
Lynard Skynard
Last edited by 6stringbasshred at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by Varkunus

Gtfo my bass forumz. *reported*

TS, try bands that have bassists who differentiate the bassline from the guitar riff and use effects, like Muse. Muse - City of Delusion/Starlight are good ones to try.
Hey Hey, My My by Neil Young is pretty simple. The bass just follows the guitar for the intro.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

jeesus guys i just realised when i looked at my previous posts. I was on UG today at school during lunch, and left PC on, and my mate just told me on MSN that he had posted random crap on bass forums!!! Believe it or not hes a bassist!!! Anyway if you dont believe me check the IPs
Quote by Varkunus
jeesus guys i just realised when i looked at my previous posts. I was on UG today at school during lunch, and left PC on, and my mate just told me on MSN that he had posted random crap on bass forums!!! Believe it or not hes a bassist!!! Anyway if you dont believe me check the IPs

The IPs would just say you're on at home and at school. Doesn't say who's on the other end, so it's assumed to be you.
Most (if not all) of his other guitar forum posts are serious (non-troll) and this is the first time hes posted this kinda crap in the bass forum. Someone with 900+ post definitely knows the rules and would not ruin his rep by posting such things.... maybe I'm just gullible like that.
I don't have any recommendations right now for the songs, but I have an idea what you can do it hear the bass lines better.

In windows media player, turn the EQ on, then turn up the bass frequencies, it's kind of muffed and distorted but you can hear the bass lines alot better.

Otherwise, get audacity and load the song in there, turn the bass boost up a bit. Slow it down a bit if you need to.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by Varkunus

Identity theft is a bitch aint it?

Word to the wise, employers and the FBI take these sort of things a bit more serious than UG, so if true--considered it a lesson learned.
If you want funky songs, check out The Budos Band. Some of their songs are pretty difficult, but others are surprisingly easy to figure out. Specifically, the tracks Sing a Simple Song and His Girl (a superb cover of My Girl, by the way) are a good place to start.