Page 1 of 3
So, I just got the opportunity to play my bass through a 300W Fender BXR (bass extended range? I dunno it wasn't on fender's site) that my school owns. Before that, I had only played through my P.O.S. Gorilla GB-30 amp (it says 50 watts on the back). The tones I got out of the 300W were fantastic and just the volume and bass vibrating my chest was a feeling topped only by that thing girls do. O.o

Now after this experience, I am inspired and compelled to buy a new bass amp. One that evokes this new level of euphoric bass playing I hadn't felt before.

There are two clinchers here:
1. With college looming close, funds are tight so the purchase will be in the future but...
2. I lack the necessary knowledge on bass amps so I'm doing research now.

Don't get me wrong! I've read through the bass amp section twice on the FAQ and did a search but didn't find anything particularly useful. It doesn't really cover what type of wattage is needed in certain situations (I hope to god that is isn't in there or flaming will ensue).

If I buy something that is 300W how far will that get me? What kind of venues could that be played in? I am not in a band but see myself joining one in the future playing very small to small to medium venues (I can dream!). I know the 3 to 4 times as much wattage as guitarist rule. But I don't even have a band and may not for awhile. What kind of wattage would a guitarist have in these type of settings?

Also, I found this:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR610

Carvin's are liked around here right? I know fitz has one but not a combo amp. I don't really want to mess around with heads and cabs at this point. Are Carvin's combo amps just as good? Seems like a great price for the wattage. I won't lose too much tone control w/ a combo, will I?

Hmm...done typing up my wall of text. I guess now I just sit and wait for the knowledge to come flowing to me, right?

inb4 tl;dr
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
The best price-per-watts amp i think is the Crate BT220. It packs 220w of power and a 15" speaker, all for only $200. And if the guitar player has a good tube combo, he should only have anywhere from 30w to maybe 50 or 60w. Which is alot louder than you might think.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Describe "tight". A more specific budget would help, along with some examples of tones you'd like to achieve.

I knew I missed something with that wall of text.

I guess I wasn't trying to even give a budget just stating that I wouldn't be buying it until a later date. I suppose around 1k USD ish. But if quality can be achieved with less than that would be fantastic.

As for tones, I like to play all different kinds of music so just something versatile. I want to say I like bright tones more but then I think of a smooth, bassy tone and I can't decide between the two. So I want the best of both worlds. A lot of people give descriptions of the tone they want by stating their fave bassists' names. I don't want to sound like them. I want to sound like me. I suppose that's where versatility comes into my purchase.

(I can't stop typing walls of texts today, sorry)
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by qotsa1998
The best price-per-watts amp i think is the Crate BT220. It packs 220w of power and a 15" speaker, all for only $200. And if the guitar player has a good tube combo, he should only have anywhere from 30w to maybe 50 or 60w. Which is alot louder than you might think.

Price-per-watts is a useless gauge. Quality for the price is so much more important.

TS, you won't go wrong with that Carvin and it'll be above and beyond the call of duty for what you're asking of it.
I think you want a Carvin too. You're not going to get that super-clean, bright tone out of an Ampeg or Ashdown or something similar, but you can try to get that boomy warmth out of a more modern sounding amp.
How can an amp be good at such a low price? Is it just because you are buying it directly? Are there many stores that carry them?

And SMB, the Carvin doesn't have much warmth? Could this be remedied somehow?

Also, how much will I benefit (and how) if I was to get a Carvin stack (like c3po linked) instead of a combo?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

The Carvin has transparency. It's like a hooker, it'll do whatever you want it to do. Yeah, the Carvin is so good at such a low price because you're buying direct, no middle men.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by barb3rman
And SMB, the Carvin doesn't have much warmth? Could this be remedied somehow
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The Carvin has transparency. It's like a hooker, it'll do whatever you want it to do.
Bales is right. A vintage voiced amp is like that first girlfriend you had at school. Yeah, you wouldn't swap her for the world (well, until you do) but she's only good for the same old sex, and good luck getting her to do anything funky. A transparent amp, like a hooker, can at least pretend it loves you and try to do the warm thing but it can also do sooo much more that you just can't get from your regular missus.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The Carvin has transparency. It's like a hooker, it'll do whatever you want it to do. Yeah, the Carvin is so good at such a low price because you're buying direct, no middle men.

Without the risk of STDs right? And no pimp either.

So they don't sell to stores at all? Which means I would have to order in hopes that it is what I am looking for? And all I'm looking for is some versatility really. My plan is to be a heavy effects user (at some point...working on finding cool pedals) and there's no such thing as compatibility issues with amps and effects are there?

Quote by smb
Bales is right. A vintage voiced amp is like that first girlfriend you had at school. Yeah, you wouldn't swap her for the world (well, until you do) but she's only good for the same old sex, and good luck getting her to do anything funky. A transparent amp, like a hooker, can at least pretend it loves you and try to do the warm thing but it can also do sooo much more that you just can't get from your regular missus.

Sigged O.o (I had to shorten it)

So it seems like a Carvin is the way to go. It has versatility and will do "funky" things with me. AND I can just order it online whimsically and not feel bad about not trying it before buying it (right...?)

I just need to narrow down which Carvin is right for me...which hooker do I want....

She can't be too big. Enough to hear in small to medium size venues (I don't really know what means but I can't ever imagine myself playing in what I would describe as a "large" venue). And less then $1000.

Is that enough criteria to make an educated purchase?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Last edited by barb3rman at Mar 2, 2008,
I would buy the BX600 and the BRX2.10 cab. That'll be a small, compact, light rig that's big on sound and easily transportable. By the way, Carvin has free shipping to the U.S. and a 10 day trial with no questions asked on the return. So in the event you truly have a distaste for it, all you're out is $50 for return shipping.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I would buy the BX600 and the BRX2.10 cab. That'll be a small, compact, light rig that's big on sound and easily transportable. By the way, Carvin has free shipping to the U.S. and a 10 day trial with no questions asked on the return. So in the event you truly have a distaste for it, all you're out is $50 for return shipping.

I'm liking this idea more and more. =D

And I don't see a BRX2.10 cab. All I see is a BR210 or a BRX10.2NEO. Did you mix those up or am I retarded/blind?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Hmm, I could afford these right now (although I'd be near broke). I see, in your sig, you are looking to buy the same thing accept a different cab. The BR210 is much cheaper. Would it still be able to tackle what I need it for?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

2x10s & 2x12s are ok to work with a 15" cab but as serious backline they will struggle on their own in a full blown gigging band.
So unless you have PA to augment your backline go for a 4x10 or a 1x15 otherwise you'll be coming back here moaning and wanting to know how to increase your rig.

As an example; in two of our local bands the Bassists both have the Ashdown Mag 300 combos, the 2x10+horn combo cannot cope with low notes at high levels whereas the 1x15 combo can.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
2x10s & 2x12s are ok to work with a 15" cab but as serious backline they will struggle on their own in a full blown gigging band.
So unless you have PA to augment your backline go for a 4x10 or a 1x15 otherwise you'll be coming back here moaning and wanting to know how to increase your rig.

As an example; in two of our local bands the Bassists both have the Ashdown Mag 300 combos, the 2x10+horn combo cannot cope with low notes at high levels whereas the 1x15 combo can.

Hmm, you don't think the BRX10.2NEO will be enough for small gigs? Not that I know ****, and that's why I started this thread, but from what everyone else says, it seems like it would be fine.

Were you meaning something like this:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR615
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But there is a definite difference between conventional and neo magnets. Neo's are much more efficient and have a much better low end response and CAN get those low notes.

So you're saying I should be fine then because of the Neos? I don't want to end up paying that $50 return fee.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Well, I suppose it'd work for what I need it for right now (actually, since I'm not playing any gigs yet, it's more than enough). How much is a 15" ?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Carvin? (Let's stick with that for now)
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

If you're going for a speaker that just pushes the low end, you might as well just get the 18. I think there should only be one tweeter in a given stack, and that subs shouldn't have tweeters. The 18 doesn't and the 15 does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
210's have never done it in loud situations. I'd go for the 15" if I were you.

Also, if you find the Carvin a bit too clean/sterile for you, you might be interested in something like a Fulltone Bass Drive to warm up/add grit to your tone.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But there is a definite difference between conventional and neo magnets. Neo's are much more efficient and have a much better low end response and CAN get those low notes.

Neos are not much more efficient they are much lighter than speakers with Ferrite magnets.

Neos are good so are all the others but none are as light as neos, Neodymium was good initialy because of its lightness but it had a major problem with heat causing it to lose its magnetism permanently; this has now been sorted out.

Neos cost less to ship at all stages due to weight saving; that is a major factor in their increased usage, I said on this forum a long time ago that they will become the norm and this is proving to be the case but it is the weight saving that is the major factor and not performance.

Finaly I have been using Neodymium speakers for some years now long before they were in general production due to my connections within the industry, the first that I tested was an 18" 600 watt speaker.

I have curerently 14 x 15" Neos in stock, if anyone wants an Eminence 15" Neo cheap in the UK just contact me, the retail is £113 I'm putting them out at £59.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John, we all know 10" Neos have a comically broad frequency response, sometimes going under 30Hz. Does the 18" Neo go even lower? More importantly, what does it TOP OUT at?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift
I have curerently 14 x 15" Neos in stock, if anyone wants an Eminence 15" Neo cheap in the UK just contact me, the retail is £113 I'm putting them out at £59.

PM Sent.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Alright, I'm sort of confused by all of this. I do have a 5 stringer so would the 15 or 18 help this? I'm not necessarily looking for low end. I'm more worried about volume. Do you really think the 2 10s will be too quiet?

Just trying to get things straight here with the different opinions:
The BX600 head is fine, correct?
And as for cabs, what are my options and what are some pros and cons of each?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

It doesn't really "work like that." Smaller speakers don't necessarily put out less "volume", and bigger speakers don't necessarily put out more "volume." The greater the surface area of air being pushed, the "bigger" your sound will be. Some speaker types, like 12's, "sound" louder than 10's.

However, it's all about WATTAGE. That's first and foremost what you're looking for.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
It doesn't really "work like that." Smaller speakers don't necessarily put out less "volume", and bigger speakers don't necessarily put out more "volume." The greater the surface area of air being pushed, the "bigger" your sound will be. Some speaker types, like 12's, "sound" louder than 10's.

However, it's all about WATTAGE. That's first and foremost what you're looking for.

Volume of sound is totaly different to loudness, a 4x12 cab may only produce the same level of DBs as a particular 1x12 but it will have a greater volume of sound, although it may not be louder it will sound as if it is and that is where the larger speaker benefits.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by thefitz
John, we all know 10" Neos have a comically broad frequency response, sometimes going under 30Hz. Does the 18" Neo go even lower? More importantly, what does it TOP OUT at?

Most speakers will go to what you want them to but it is the usable frequency that counts.
The claims that many manufacturers make regarding efficiency and frequency range are for the most part suspect and are designed to attract customers.

There are very few speakers that cannot cover the frequncy of the bass guitar even 18s can.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Mar 3, 2008,
To be honest, all of this technical stuff is just confusing me more and more. :S I'm new to this all.

Bottom line, will I be happy with this - https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX210

if I'm just using it for personal use and small gigs?

It seems solid from what I've gathered but I'm still unsure.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Running in mono-bridge for huge gigs, 1 channel of dual mono for smaller volume needs - definitely!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Running in mono-bridge for huge gigs, 1 channel of dual mono for smaller volume needs - definitely!

I have no idea what you just said but I'm just going to assume you're being sincere.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Page 1 of 3