Hey folks...

I have a Marshall MG100HDFX full stack. If it weren't for life changing I would stick with it... However, I am looking for my life and gear to become very portable. I figure as long as I am going to swap out this monstrosity for something smaller, I should switch from solid state to tube.

It must be a Marshall. I'd like to keep it around $500 but I could go up to $1,000 for a small sized awesome Marshall tube amp. I'll be playing my current Les Paul Studio through it and upgrading the axe to a Les Paul Classic.

My influences are Ace Frehley, Jimmy Page, Mick Mars (even though he plays a strat!) and Joe Perry.

First, a (stupid?) question: Is 'valvestate' the same as tube? I was looking at the Valvestate I amps on the Marshall site. http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/valvestate_i/valvestate_i_01.asp

Must Have:
  • Clean and overdrive channels
  • Enough power for playing / practicing by myself
  • Enough power fo jamming with others
  • It's ok for my new amp to be too small for a small club gig but it should be able to be mic'ed through a PA to retain 'that Marshall sound'
Nice To Have:
  • A single 10" or 12" speaker would be nice for smaller size but two speakers would be ok if that's what it takes to have 'that Marshall sound'
Thanks!
Hmmm, your probably not going to get much in the way of a great marshall for that. Maybe a JCM800 used?
Really you'd be better off with something not Marshall. An Orange Tiny Terror perhaps?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Marshall DSL401 is near enough £400/$800 USD, and it's a great amp. 40 Watt tube.
yes valvestate and tube mean the same things just called differently over seas. i would recommend a used jcm800 combo or maybe a used jcm2000 dsl 401. those are my recommendations, but hey if you want absolutely killer tone and you can go just over 1000 look for a used 1974x
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by AdamDK
Marshall DSL401 is near enough £400/$800 USD, and it's a great amp. 40 Watt tube.

In the UK, yes
In America, Marshalls have huge taxes added...
I think its more like $1200 over there..... Massively overpriced tbh
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by thejester
yes valvestate and tube mean the same things just called differently over seas. i would recommend a used jcm800 combo or maybe a used jcm2000 dsl 401. those are my recommendations, but hey if you want absolutely killer tone and you can go just over 1000 look for a used 1974x

No, valvestate isn't tube. Valves are tubes, but valvestate is the same as hybrid technology, and it won't offer you the tube sound. Its basically a solid state with one preamp tube i think. More of a marketing gimmick than anything else.
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

+1 with the orange tiny terror. its a seriously awesome amp.
valvestate isnt the same as tube. its a combination of valves and ss, and it sucks. i know, i used to have one.

but yer

ORANGEORANGEORANGE!
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
First off, your mindset of "must be a Marshall" is already holding you back. Unless you're willing to spend a decent sum, you're not going to get anything satisfying from them. $500 will pretty much get you nothing but an MG.

Considering you said up to $1000, there are a few more choices from them around there. I saw a DSL combo on musiciansfriend for about $1100, so you could probably get it for less if you go used. But really, I'm not sure how many Marshalls below $1000 would get the sound you're looking for. Some might say used JCM, but that's for higher gain stuff. And by the way, Valvestate isn't the same as tube. It means hybrid.

Alright, so what you could do is get a Peavey Classic 50. Or you could get an amp like a Fender Hot Rod Deville along with an overdrive, or an EHX Muff (either a Big Muff or an English Muff'n). Those will probably get a similar sound to what you want.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
the valvestates (only from 65W and up) have solid state output section and a preamp tube
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
valvestate isnt the same as tube. its a combination of valves and ss, and it sucks. i know, i used to have one.

but yer

ORANGEORANGEORANGE!

yep This man has taste Ive got the same guitar as you, and was wundrin how it goes with your orange?
Are there any cleans to be seen at slightly higher volumes, when turning down your guitar volume for instance?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by Baarmy_Sheep

but yer

ORANGEORANGEORANGE!

+1 to the valvestate. I believe that the valvestate line became the MG line. I played one once, they are pretty bad. I also don't understand why it HAS to be Marshall. I have heard and played some other brands of amps that give a very nice "Marshallesque" tone. So I guess +1 to the Orange as well.
Why marshall? Stop being a brand *****, you could do much better for a fair bit less. UNless you plan on going all out on a JCM800 or something...

Valvestate i do believe is just hybrid, theyre basically the same SS crap sound with a valve chucked in for money whoring points. Wouldnt do it.

The DSL401 isnt so good. Especially not so much for value for money over in the US.

Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV20 (Apparently very marshally)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney VC30 (If youre in the UK)
Orange Rocker 30

Or go used and try pick up a JCM900/800 combo for cheap...
^^Actually the Valvestates went onto become the AVT series. The older valvestates are MUCH better amps than the new ones as well They don't sound half bad, but obviously a tube amp will blow it out the water.....
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

you want "the marshall sound"
Find a ORANGE rocker 30.
Or a used jcm 800/900, because nothing else will get you THE marshall tone.
Those who say a DSL 401 need to shutup because either a:They've never played one or b:They're tone retarded, because the dsl 401 is way too modern sounding to get THE marshall sound.
And a valvestate would be a waste of money too.
And whoever suggested a vintage modern?
Wow, play one before you suggest it. It really sucks, unless you can crank it. Lets face it, maybe 10% of the time you play will you be able to crank 50/100 watts.
When its power section isnt pushed, the bass is flubby, and the overdrive is extremely fizzy.
Marshall just doesnt make amps like they used to man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by cmakkidguitar
yep This man has taste Ive got the same guitar as you, and was wundrin how it goes with your orange?
Are there any cleans to be seen at slightly higher volumes, when turning down your guitar volume for instance?

bit off topic, but goes VERY nicely with the tele. people always seem to rave about strats sounding great, but humbuckers work very well with it.

to try and stay a bit on topic, altough it only has 1 channel and no inbuilt eq, even without tons of pedals it can give you a range from very nice cleans to unexpectedly heavy sounds. and if you buy an eq pedal, you make your control much better.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Hey guys... Thanks a TON for the honest feedback.

OK - so maybe it doesn't have to be Marshall... But you understand why I want 'that Marshall sound', right? I study with a jazz master so I play a lot of jazz on the neck pickup. However, I am also an 80's metal-head so I'm playing stuff like Ace Frehley, KISS, Ratt, Rush, etc. with the bridge pickup and overdrive channel. I also like doing stuff like Giant Drag's version of Wicked Game using my Boss ME-50 to get the same sound.

So what's next? Go to Guitar Center and try out the amps that Becky suggested to see what I like? I'm definitely into shopping used on Craig's List to save some bucks...

Any other suggestions and feedback are welcome!

Thanks!
Quote by MrWannabe
Hey guys... Thanks a TON for the honest feedback.

OK - so maybe it doesn't have to be Marshall... But you understand why I want 'that Marshall sound', right? I study with a jazz master so I play a lot of jazz on the neck pickup. However, I am also an 80's metal-head so I'm playing stuff like Ace Frehley, KISS, Ratt, Rush, etc. with the bridge pickup and overdrive channel. I also like doing stuff like Giant Drag's version of Wicked Game using my Boss ME-50 to get the same sound.

So what's next? Go to Guitar Center and try out the amps that Becky suggested to see what I like? I'm definitely into shopping used on Craig's List to save some bucks...

Any other suggestions and feedback are welcome!

Thanks!

A JCM 800/900 should fit you well with the 80's metal type stuff, especially hair bands. However, the cleans arent the best on those. Maybe you could find a cheap Roland Jazz Chorus? Its one of the cleanest amps available.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Traynor YCV 50 Blue.

It's a better amp than the DSL401, IMHO, and sells for a lot less over here. Great Marshall sound on the crunch, better cleans than the Marshall could hope to produce. Don't get seduced by the name.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'd also recomend the classic 30/50. In addition, I'd recomend the crate/palomino v-series. Several people I know have marshalls and like them because they get a good marshall sound in a small size. They're also well within your price range.

A third option is a kit or a clone.

And then there's always ebay.