Alright, this month I'm getting a new guitar, but I've been looking for a new guitar for some time now, and every time I think I've found the right one, I can never really settle on it. So I'm looking for some opinions. I like to "try" and play a lot of different stuff.

My favorite bands/players are: Dream Theater/John Petrucci), Pink Floyd, John Mayer, Jimi Hendrix, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
And to complicate things more I would like to keep things under $600 (U.S.)

Right now I'm looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

I think it will suit my needs well, but I don't know if it will handle the dream theater. Any opinions and recommendations are welcome.

(Note: I know I need a new amp, but I'm going to college this fall and I'm just going to play though my pod x3 live with headphones, till I get out of college.)
Choose for yourself, man. Don't have a bunch of people over the internet choose for you. You should really want a guitar, not choose on a whim.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
You might want to consider some schecter's. A lot of them feature coil tapping, which would allow you to get the thicker humbucker sound, AND the single coil sound.

Ibanez's have an H-S-H setup a lot of times which can help with versatility.
^+1
But, Jackson DK2 is you can stretch to it

EDIT: +1 to Cachew
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Mar 2, 2008,
Dude Ibanzez Or Dean Is The Way To Go Well I Play A Zz Ryder And It Kicks Ass So Check It Out
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
dude get a strat with a humbucker
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
If you really wanted the Strat, for music like Dream Theater, you really need the humbucker, so I'd got for the 'Fat Strat', have you looked at any Epiphone Les Pauls? I'd give thema look as well
well i was going to by that, but it sounded so toneless when i played it. those pickups arent great. go for a higher end MIM with better pickups, and maybe a humbucker. HSS
Quote by shift3448
dude get a strat with a humbucker

why get a strat with one? gibsons have them already
Everyone you listed there except DT uses a Strat, I believe. I think a HSS Strat would work good for you.
I can't stand to play on Jacksons. They are great guitars, just not for me. I don't like dean period. I've considered ibanez. But I'm really a fender guy.

Anyway, that special ash strat was pretty nice, but I think I like the Deluxe better.
Most of the suggestions in this thread have been ridiculous. He's looking at a Strat, probably because he likes them. He's probably not looking for a Dean/Jackson shred machine

Go with the Deluxe Strat if you like it. I played it and thought it was really nice but I prefered the Highway One Strat tbh.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
Most of the suggestions in this thread have been ridiculous. He's looking at a Strat, probably because he likes them. He's probably not looking for a Dean/Jackson shred machine

Go with the Deluxe Strat if you like it. I played it and thought it was really nice but I prefered the Highway One Strat tbh.

The high way one is a bit over my price range I think, but I'll still give it a look.
Yeah sorry, I dunno how much the Deluxe Player Strats are

But seriously, the HwyOne is AWESOME! It was so good, I bought the Telecaster!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Work with me on this one as this is a bit of Frankenstein's monster:

Ingredient one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-FR-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517910

Add a DiMarzio Steve's Special or D-Sonic bridge plus Air Norton S for the neck. Should be around the $600 mark will be hideously flexible and should get you into Dream Theater territory with some suitable Mesa Mark and Recto patches on the X3.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
check out the ibanez sz series, there pretty much good for any music.

mine the sz 320 mh has the nicest fretboard: smooth and really nice rosewood.

go for it
MIM HSS strat, everyone you mentioned (besides dream theater) is famous for using a strat, and the humbucker should be able to handle most of the dream theater stuff.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
get an American Strat with SSS. HSS strats sound like a strat with a humbucker (obv.) You dont get a real fat sound.
You can play anything on a SSS strat. Anything. If your a Fender guy anyway....you will know this. No doubt therer are better options to play metal and the like......

When ppl say you cabn tplay Dream Theater...and BS like that.....they are hypnotized by group think, or are just talking just to talk.
Master your strat.....later on when you decide that you NEED a humbucker.....then buy something more designed for hard rocking, like an Ibanez or high end Schecter.

Why buy new? Lots of ppl selling Standard Amrican Strats for around $500 on the interwebs. Save the rest of the money for hookers.
get a non american g&l legacy

or a korean hamer...maybe a standard
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.