Hey all...

I'm looking into living aboard a 30' sailboat. If this actually happens, I'll be sticking to warm places like the Caribbean. I want to take a Les Paul (a Classic to replace my Studio), my Ibanez AEG20 acoustic electric and my Yamaha FG312 12-string acoustic with me.

Does anyone have any experience with taking care of gear in tropical climates / on a boat?

Thanks!
You'll need to try and keep them as dry as possible and not leave them out when its too humid.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Is there a certain fairly closed off room you could keep the guitar? If so, make sure to leave it in it's case. The amp should be fine. It might drain your power though. I recommend playing mostly acoustic. I wouldn't recommend taking the guitar on deck either. Strings and hardware rust really quickly in the sea breeze. Hope that helps.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Ah, alone on a boat with a bunch of seamen, surrounded by seamen, in love with seamen . . .
Quote by Gallop7080
Ah, alone on a boat with a bunch of seamen, surrounded by seamen, in love with seamen . . .

oh look! a swallow.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by Chikitty_China
oh look! a swallow.

lol

plus the humidity down in the caribbean is insane

have fun with that
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Chikitty_China
I wouldn't recommend taking the guitar on deck either. Strings and hardware rust really quickly in the sea breeze.

True true - SALT AIR! Even staying below deck, I should probably plan on more frequent string changes and thorough wipe-downs after each play. Contact cleaner to get gunk off the electronics would probably make sense, too.
Hardy har har on the sailor jokes...

If I wanted to hear from a wise-ass, I would stand in front of a mirror and talk!
you can buy humidity controllers, about the size of an electric heater. they might work well in a closed room. they work in houses anyway
Quote by werty22
The Caribbean? Don't bring expensive guitars there, pirates will steal them.

yes captain jack has a fine taste for gibsons and tube amps
Quote by werty22
The Caribbean? Don't bring expensive guitars there, pirates will steal them.

I won't be on the high seas. I'll be in a marina, working on an island, and taking weekend or week-long trips. While piracy does still happen a little bit, it can be 99% avoided by being selective about destinations, routes and timing.
When I used to live in the Caribbean, I had an LP copy with gold hardware, and it turned black and all-around nasty within a few months. Anyway, keep you stuff in a case or covered somehow and it should all be fine.
Quote by Noyon999

All aboard the failboat!!

Nah, couldn't resist.

Get yourself:
- some party food
- some decent music
- some hookers

You'll love it...or at least love the hookers haha
Keep the guitars in a cool room and try not to expose them to the air outside. If you're going through a big climate change, bring tools because you WILL have to re adjust your action on all of your guitars. The amp should be fine though.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
It should be fine, as long at you don't play it on the deck for long periods of time and store it in a closed off room, maybe with a dehumidifier.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
all I could think of after reading the title was sailing out into the middle of the sea, with a whole load of amps wired up and turned up, with some friends and jamming :P
Quote by thefuzz454
It should be fine, as long at you don't play it on the deck for long periods of time and store it in a closed off room, maybe with a dehumidifier.

yeah the dehumidifier is a good idea
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by thefuzz454

I don't think a dehumidifier is practical on a boat. First, there's the issue of power. Dehumidifiers draw a lot of wattage. Then, without an air-tight berth, I would be trying to dehumidify the entire Caribbean!

Maybe some silica dessicant packets in the guitar case...