I'm looking to buy an amp. Only problem is I'm kind of on a budget, or to be exact my parents are. heres the deal (wall of text): My birthday is next month and I want an Amp and an Xbox 360. my parents aren't rich and I'm too young for a job. I currently have a marshall mg (AHHH!) and I need a new amp. I can get a pretty good tone with the help of my Boss Metal zone, but I want to upgrade for a bigger and more versatile amp.

so here is my question. should I get a medium sized ( 25-50 watts) good amp or a smaller better amp.

with a crappier amp I can still use my pedal. but if I got a better amp with a couple effects (chorus, flanger) I wouldn't need my pedals.

what should I do? amp suggestions? the tone I'm looking for would be like Tool/Dream Theater sound.
Don't buy an Xbox 360, you will just waste your time playing that thing than practicing and getting better in guitar. Instead of buying Xbox, take that money and get a really good amp that you won't need to change for years.

Maybe a use mesa f30?
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef
Don't buy an Xbox 360, you will just waste your time playing that thing than practicing and getting better in guitar. Instead of buying Xbox, take that money and get a really good amp that you won't need to change for years.

Maybe a use mesa f30?

Agree. xbox 360 will eventually get bored, which is what happened to me. Save up for a good amp, and show them real guitar skills.
I would say get a Peavey ValveKing. Itll be a big upgrade from the MG. Also, trade in your Metal Zone for something like a Zakk Wylde OD, and you should be able to get some good metal tones.
+1 to the F30, I'm usually the one who reccomends them in these threads!

You could try a valveking, but I think you'll find the Mesa much more to your liking.
maybe you guys are right about the 360 I don't play videogames like I used to... but I do get bored even of guitar sometimes and need something other than guitar and computer.
Im really not into alot of tube amps' tone. they're too bluesy to me maybe I don't know how to use them right or something but aside from Mesa I don't care for them.
nix the 360, i'm on my third one this year, warranty's are great.
Forget the 360!! I sold mine to get me a guitar, amp (mg i know i was foolish to buy), and a decent pedal.