So in the summer I am going away for college and will be living in a small dorm. At the moment all I have is a 100 watt half-stack, and I would like to get something smaller. Whether it be tube or solid state it doesn't matter (some guy at a music store suggested I get some peavey solid state thing, but he didn't seem all that knowledgeable) but it should sound good (obviously).

I got a chance to try the Peavey Royal 8 briefly but not for more than about 5 mins so I didn't really get to test it out. I tried to crank it (it's a single channel) but it remained clean at levels that would be too high for a dorm.

I play mostly hard rock and a lot of metal. This may not happen from a 5w amp but keep it in mind. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and any thoughts on the Royal 8 too.

Thanks in advance.
I think the Peavey Windsor studio would fit your needs a little better than the Royal 8. It's 20W, but it's got an attenuator that can take it down to 5. It doesn't have an actual clean channel, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for metal.

You could also try a Roland Microcube or a Blackheart + an OD, but the cube sounds really digital to me and the Blackheart isn't voiced very well for metal.
A Crate Palomino or V Series 5w tube would be good with an OD pedal i think. Itll distort at low levels, since it has a gain control, and an Od will push it even harder.
If you need such a small amp that whispers, why even buy amp at that point? Wouldn't a headphone unit be better for that? Something like a Line 6 Pod or something that will get a better sound (in headphones) than the smallest amp, and you can use it to record as well.

For me, I'd rather have a good sound in headphones that I can play at all hours of the day, than a small amp that gets a horrid tone and must be kept quiet.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz
If you need such a small amp that whispers, why even buy amp at that point? Wouldn't a headphone unit be better for that? Something like a Line 6 Pod or something that will get a better sound (in headphones) than the smallest amp, and you can use it to record as well.

For me, I'd rather have a good sound in headphones that I can play at all hours of the day, than a small amp that gets a horrid tone and must be kept quiet.

It's not that it has to whisper, it's just that I need a good sound at "bedroom level" so that I am not rattling the walls. I am pretty sure there are good "practice" amps that can do good sound at low levels.
I have got the royal 8, for precisely the same uni reason, personally i think its pretty good, esp. for the price. It is single channel, but does hav a master volume and a gain knob, so can get some crunch out of it. No chance of metal without a pedal though. I have paired mine with a rat and am pretty chuffed. Would recommend it!
Buy an acoustic guitar. Besides chicks love em.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Buy an acoustic guitar. Besides chicks love em.

I would but 1) have never had much luck playing acoustic (I don't know many acoustic songs, I guess I could learn some) and 2) That doesn't help my hard rock/metal problem
I'm surprised Roland Cube hasn't been suggested yet. It would be perfect for you. Also Microcube if you want to be able to play it anywhere.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I'm surprised Roland Cube hasn't been suggested yet. It would be perfect for you. Also Microcube if you want to be able to play it anywhere.

It was suggested (see 2nd post) I was never impressed my the cube series. I did not like the sound of them. I could check them out again though.