Right now I need to find out the power chords of certain chords within the minor/major scales... and I'm having trouble with it.

An example:

I need to find out hte power chord of the G chord.. how do I do that? explanation, tips?

thanks, and if I didn't express myself clearly let me know.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
consists of
g and d lol

in other words
3rd, 6th string
5th, on a string and
5th on d string
power chord isn't really a chord. Its the interval of a 5th. So all you do is find the 5th of whatever note you want and there it is. So you wanna play a G and a D.
Funky c, Funky do
Power chords are made up of the root, and the 5th, so for instance, if you're in the key of C, the C powerchord (they're not major or minor, they 3rd would be needed for that) would be a C and a G played together. In the case of G, the chord would consist of G and D played together.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
Whatever fret your index finger is on is the pitch of the power chord.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by copet
Whatever fret your index finger is on is the pitch of the power chord.

Exactly !!!!
Once you know the notes of the fretboard put your index finger on the note you want and your ring finger 1 string down and over 2 frets
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
kinda, off topic, but if you use the 3rd string, say, E-3 A-5 D-5, theoretically, wouldnt that be spelled R-5-8?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Woo! that helped me greatly guys. thanks!

what is the exact formula, or method fo finding them, eh? sorry for my inability to understand till now..
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by sleepwalker16 at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by abyssspecter
kinda, off topic, but if you use the 3rd string, say, E-3 A-5 D-5, theoretically, wouldnt that be spelled R-5-8?

well, the 8th note is just an octave up from the root so it's the same note. you can call it root or 8th. whichever you want.