So I need some advice on amp. Not which amp to get but on the actual buying process. If I am getting a "boutique" style amp and cab like bogner, mesa or engl can I expect to get a discount or am I stuck paying sticker price. I am can be a horrible negotiator if I find something I really want. Anyway any advice on how much to expect off, or how to successfully negotiate a lower price would be great.

Thanks Zeus
Sometimes it is better to ask for additional items thrown in, like an overdrive pedal, and some other things you may need, rather than trying to get the price reduced
It depends where you're buying it from. If you're buying from an online store like www.musiciansfriend.com or www.gak.co.uk , you won't have the option to haggle.

If you're in an auction on eBay, the ending price is usually final; you can't win the auction with a bid of $100, and then try to haggle down to $80.

If you're buying from a chain of guitar stores, like Guitar Center, you may get a discount by exaggerating how you just don't quite have enough money to match the sticker price etc, but that's much easier to do at a small-time shop owned by the people who work there.
^Actually I know you can (or at least you used to be able to) call online retailers and haggle over the phone. As far as GC goes they are no longer allowed to give discounts.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
^Actually I know you can (or at least you used to be able to) call online retailers and haggle over the phone. As far as GC goes they are no longer allowed to give discounts.

I got $1 knocked of a Seymour Duncan back in August.

*smug*
Buy used and offer slightly less than the asking price. Buying new doesn't usually make a lot of sense.
Quote by soul_power

Some GCs still let you.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
Some GCs still let you.

Oh do they? My bad then. I was under the impression that the whole chain changed their policy.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^ GC still haggles. I got 40 Bucks knocked off my Laney VH100R two weeks ago. My friend got 30 off a Jazz bass and another friend got 20 off of a nice splash. You just have to know how to do it. But they won't take off of a new mesa or engl. Boutique stuff like that is priced as marked. Used may be a different story.
Sig What?
yea i got like 100 bucks knocked off my VK somehow and just a couple months ago got a DL4 for 175. at guitar center of course
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
yea i got like 100 bucks knocked off my VK somehow and just a couple months ago got a DL4 for 175. at guitar center of course

How did you do that? I'm going to get a new VK this week. Mind sharing some tips? =)
HA yea. just play around with it until some GC n00b walks up to you to see how yorue doing. just say youre playing around with it because youre interested in buying it. then just say youre short on cash. He'll give you the lowest price he can offer (which is usually bs but if its good take it). so then you hesitate and say you have to go home and check to see if you have enough money. usually hell ask how much money you have. then you say youll walk out with it for X amount right now. thats how i did it for my MIM tele, VK and DL4. same exact routine over and over.
pretty long but hope it helps haha. just know they are all pussies that just want commision and youll win every time. just dont get a manager though. they wont budge
Quote by sg622
HA yea. just play around with it until some GC n00b walks up to you to see how yorue doing. just say youre playing around with it because youre interested in buying it. then just say youre short on cash. He'll give you the lowest price he can offer (which is usually bs but if its good take it). so then you hesitate and say you have to go home and check to see if you have enough money. usually hell ask how much money you have. then you say youll walk out with it for X amount right now. thats how i did it for my MIM tele, VK and DL4. same exact routine over and over.
pretty long but hope it helps haha. just know they are all pussies that just want commision and youll win every time. just dont get a manager though. they wont budge

awesome! Thanks for the help!
good luck dude. once you get to around 320-350 id say its a dang good offer haha. make sure the offer is out the door so you dont get taxed up the butt.