I've been attempting to transcribe the piano part to guitar from the Grand Finale version of the song Mystery Train by Nobou Uematsu, though that isn't really important because I doubt most of you know who this guy is unless your an ff fan. Anyhow, in order to play it I have to use my thumb to play the bass notes and my other four fingers to play the right hand, however, this is extraordinarily hard at the speed in which the song is played, at least for me, and I was wondering if it was at all possible to play perfectly or if I should find some other technique to play this.

PS: for those that didn't realize the tab is attached and is in guitar pro
Attachments:
Mystery Train.zip
The thumb will definitely be the hardest aspect of the song, as soon as you wrap it around the top of your guitar neck, not only do you lose dexterity in your thumb, but it ultimately shortens the range which your other four fingers will be able to move.
I agree with the previous post though. If you can play it slow, speed will come. However, I am questioning exactly how much speed one will be able to produce using this technique.

Good Luck.
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
@ Geebz: I'm pretty sure he's actually talking about playing in a classical style (feel free to correct me), meaning he'll be using his thumb for bass notes, and other fingers for the bottom three strings.

And TS, you might want to try neglecting your right hand pinky on this, It could just be me but I prefer only using my index middle and ring while picking like that, makes it seem easier and smoother. You could also try holding your guitar in a classical position, it makes it more comfortable in my opinion.
And TS, you might want to try neglecting your right hand pinky on this, It could just be me but I prefer only using my index middle and ring while picking like that, makes it seem easier and smoother.

That is what I'm doing because your right the pinky isn't really strong enough to produce a loud tone, at least mine isn't.

I'm pretty sure he's actually talking about playing in a classical style (feel free to correct me), meaning he'll be using his thumb for bass notes, and other fingers for the bottom three strings.

Yes this is what I'm doing, I'm using the thumb on my right hand, sorry if I didn't specify that, and I am playing in the classical style, well I guess it is in a way.

In my opinion, if you can do it slow, means it possible to do it fast...its only the matter of practice. Go a head with the thumb thing

I'll keep practicing it and see, I'm just worried that the notes won't be loud enough or stand out enough when played at that speed. I don't want it to sound like a quick little hit on the strings, but i guess i can try to avoid that with practice.
I'm familiar with that song (as I'm also a big Uematsu fan/dork). To me it sounds like you could really slow that tempo down. I think maybe 150-175 would be a more suitable speed than the 225 you had it at it. That should also help with your problems playing it too I would think. Just my opinion, good luck.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words