No, not necessarily shredding, I mean playing through quick death and thrash metal riffs cleanly with ease. I've been playing along with tracks on Guitar Pro, putting sections on a loop and slowly building up the tempo. While this worked for a bit, I now seem to be stuck on a plateau where I can't get any faster. Keep in mind that I'm not anchoring!

So two questions:

1. Whats the best way to gain speed? When I reach a plateau, should I play the part as slowly and perfectly as possible to gain accuracy and precision? Should I keep driving myself forward? Should I try a greater speed to make the original speed seem easier? (my old guitar teacher told me to do this)

2. How long does it usually take to develop good speed and accuracy?

Thanks to whoever helps me out!
try cromatics

-----------------------------------
------------------------1-2-3-4--
------------1-2-3-4--------------
-1-2-3-4-------------------------
etc.

relly helpful get it to bout 140 and you should be gud
Practise...practise...practise.
Sweeping and some good arpeggios will get you there.
Play songs in higher tempo.
But PRACTISE!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Maybe even go down to a lower tempo, and work on it at that speed, getting it absolutely perfect; then leaving it for a few days and coming back to it at a slightly higher tempo. I wouldn't try pushing past the boundary by flailing at the strings and getting cramp in your wrists; it's better to just take the time to get it absolutely perfect at a slower speed before testing your plateau again.
Quote by .SLAVE.
No, not necessarily shredding, I mean playing through quick death and thrash metal riffs cleanly with ease. I've been playing along with tracks on Guitar Pro, putting sections on a loop and slowly building up the tempo. While this worked for a bit, I now seem to be stuck on a plateau where I can't get any faster. Keep in mind that I'm not anchoring!

So two questions:

1. Whats the best way to gain speed? When I reach a plateau, should I play the part as slowly and perfectly as possible to gain accuracy and precision? Should I keep driving myself forward? Should I try a greater speed to make the original speed seem easier? (my old guitar teacher told me to do this)

2. How long does it usually take to develop good speed and accuracy?

Thanks to whoever helps me out!

The best way is to learn really hard songs. Look at some technical death metal, if thats what you're in to. Also practice patterns and sequences, but that will only get you so far.
well, im in the same place as you, ive been trying to play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znUzTXyaqG4 sod - chromatic death
not technical, but ****in fast, ive been trying diff hand positions(how i hold the pick) i tend to fall behind
the tab on UG is wrong, youre supposed to play it on the low E not a, but besides it is right. just watch the vid, if you care to learn it.

learn some slayer while youre at it.
Make sure your using correct picking technique like economy picking instead of alternate picking.

Make it perfect at slower speeds and keep building up speed until you get it faster than normal.

And keep practicing, it might take a few days to get it down if you practice hard but the next time you try a difficult song it will be easier.
Quote by Geartrigger
Make sure your using correct picking technique like economy picking instead of alternate picking.
Just because you like to economy pick doesn't mean that it is the correct way to pick. Plenty of people use alternate picking and do just fine.