Okay, I just picked up a used Explorer in black.

The pickups are very.. well, not nice. I'm used to the high output of the EMGs running 18v in the LP.

Now. I'm going to repickup the Explorer because it needs rewired anyway.

Here's what I need help with.
I want something nasty in the bridge. Prefer non-active because there is no way I'm going to route the Explorer for an LP-sized cavity. No. Unless there is room under the pickguard (I assume the pickguard is routed under because the toggle mounts on it) for the batteries, I won't consider actives.
I want to have a good metal sound from the bridge. I don't care about coil split/tap and crap like that. A no frills mean humbucker. Prefer if it comes in a covered style, either black or gold. Do not expect that I will play cleans on the bridge. Only overdrive.

For the neck, I'd prefer something a little more mellow. I'd like for it to respond well to drive so that I don't have a completely weak solo sound, but I also want it to be clear enough that my cleans don't get muddy. Being clean on the neck is the primary function, however. Again, prefer covered in black or gold.

Also, if anyone happens to have a wiring diagram for 2hb + 1 3-way LP style toggle + 2vol 1tone, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If it comes down to actives, don't recommend anything. I'm going to buy SD Blackouts if I go active.

Edit: I know someone's gonna ask what amp.
Vox AD15 Valvetronix currently
Blackheart Little Giant on the way
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
Also, if anyone happens to have a wiring diagram for 2hb + 1 3-way LP style toggle + 2vol 1tone, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quote by thedonutman
Steam hammer bridge, Rolling Mill neck = win

+1 The Steamhammer/Hammerhead pickups are fantastic in the bridge. Easily better than an SH-4 or SH-5, and 1/3 of the cost.

I'm using a Steamhammer in the neck of one of my guitars, just for lead work, and it's smooth as a baby's arse.. I've not tried the others though.