Im gonna save up for a five string bass. Anyone know any good 5 strings? Im thinking about getting a Fender Jazz bass 5 string cause i love the feel of the Jazz basses. Any siggestions?
Fender's B strings usually feel pretty floppy to me on the MIM models, at least. It wasn't as noticable on the MIA deluxe jazz I played, but it was still there. You really need to be more descriptive of your situation, mainly price. The price difference between a MIM and MIA jazz is pretty significant, if you ask me.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
the only 5 string i've ever played was a dean, that was very nice.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I'd say go with the Jazz bass, all Fender Jazz basses i've played sound really good
I breathe air.
You could also check out the Ibanez SR505, I have the SR506 (6 string version) and I love it. Great sounding pickups and a real thin, fast neck.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
Check out a couple of Schecter 5 strings, I've got an Elite-5 and I love it. The neck is laquered which isn't to some people's tastes but I find no problems with it. Let us know price range and we'll be able to give you a better idea pal!
i would say go with the fender because of the tone, but the epiphone embassey v is good as well
Quote by wtf290
When I saw the title I immediately assumed it was another person coming to the Pit for medical advice - and then I pictured someone bleeding from the eye and typing like the wind. "RESPOND, DAMMIT! I THINK I'M LOSING CONSCIOUSNESS!"
My price range is like 700 or lower. Maybe a little higher.
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Mar 2, 2008,
*blows Schecterman whistle*

I love my Custom-5
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Another option is the G&L L2500, remember one important thing; and that is, if you haven't got the amp and speakers that will handle a 5 string bass you'r wasting your time and money.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
just dont use BTB
the B strings is like a piece of mud in your sound
maybe with a proper amp it would sounded good(i played it trough a berigner head and a GK cab), but still it feeled awfully flopy
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Lakland or a Yamaha.
Perhaps a stingray (bot sure on price though)
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Let's not leave out Peavey. They have nice custom shop basses for around that price. The B's never been floppy on mine. The mud really comes down to bad EQing or crappy pups in most cases. Also, secondhand or even new Warwick Rockbasses go for about that much, so there's another option to confuse you with.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by SoftParade1967
I got a good amp and speakers. So im not worried about that too much.

What is your amp and your speakers?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
What is your amp and your speakers?

My amp is a Fender Rumble 60 watt. I've had it for a few years and it still sounds great. And when i down tune to B it still sounds good.
Quote by SoftParade1967
My amp is a Fender Rumble 60 watt. I've had it for a few years and it still sounds great. And when i down tune to B it still sounds good.

Yeah dude Rumbles aren't too great. And you'll be wanting for more watts as soon as you start playing with other people. Take what money you have and put it towards a better amp.
Spector makes a lot of nice fivers. And the B-string tension on mine is almost perfect.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Yeah dude Rumbles aren't too great. And you'll be wanting for more watts as soon as you start playing with other people. Take what money you have and put it towards a better amp.

I dunno I love my rumble. its done me good for the last few years. And i have gigged with it and it always does good. Gives me the nice bassy tone I love.
I got an Ibanez EDB405 recently and so far I have been highly impressed with it moring from the SR505 to that has just been quite a relief on my hands, the fretboard is really comfortable and it has a nice tone. I play in B and dropping all the strings accodingly and it still has a very nice tone. Definitely try that and it's only like $400.00!
Look in my profile.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Again ill blow the spector whistle.

Went into a store one day to play a few basses for a few mins. Picked up the spector and couldnt put it down. I did eventually and picked up a Warwick that was 3 times the price soon put that back and picked up the spector again

I think i played that spector for about half an hour and the warwick about 2 mins.
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Quote by Ashdownlover
Again ill blow the spector whistle.

Went into a store one day to play a few basses for a few mins. Picked up the spector and couldnt put it down. I did eventually and picked up a Warwick that was 3 times the price soon put that back and picked up the spector again

I think i played that spector for about half an hour and the warwick about 2 mins.

Dude, Schecter.
Not Spector.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by SoftParade1967

Methinks you should get a new amp before a new bass. A good amp will make even a cheap bass put through it sound 10x better.

Quote by TheBassMan3
Dude, Schecter.
Not Spector.

Spectors are really ace though.