I own a Fender Deville 2x12 and have had it for about a 1 1/2 years. I use it about once or sometimes twice a week cranked like hell on the clean for band practice to get natural breakup and saturation, and have been for awhile.

Recently, I'm starting to notice that when I crank the amp now, i could swear I am getting a bit of a scratchy tone. It almost reminds me of a digital pedal residual fuzz while playing. Sometimes I use earplugs when cranking uncomfortably loud, in which the scratchy tone is extremely evident.

The stock tubes, I believe they are "Groove Tubes" are in it. Are they the issue? If you believe they need replacement, what do you think would be an adequate tube replacement for exclusively blues?

Also could the scratching sound be with a problem from the speaker cones, perhaps? Like 2 months ago, a bandmate once plugged his bass into my amp for like 10 seconds before I threatened to have him pay for the amp. Could the issue be coming up now?

Thanks alot guys, all replies are appreciated.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
eurotubes has a few different options. you can also select a low headroom option, so you can get breakup earlier

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=32
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you had the amp a year and a half and haven't changed the tubes, you definately need to change them. Preferably all of them. Especially if you want the most out of your amp. Nobody can really suggest tubes until you give up what tubes they are. I dunno if Fenders have 6L6's, 34's, 6550's...
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
If you're cranking your amp that much, it could definitely be time to swap out your power tubes. The Winged C 6L6GC is an excellent choice for your amp. Get some Tung-sol 12AX7's to go along with them, and you will have upgraded your tubes in a major way. Clean the sockets with contact cleaner when you change them, and see if that doesn't clear up your scratchiness issue.

If it doesn't, come back and we'll talk speakers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.