My mom and I are gonna get my dad a new Fender amp since his vintage Peavey tube amp is on the fritz and it's near his birthday. We can get a killer deal on fender products so that's why we decided on this brand. We're looking for an amp in the $800-$2000 range (before the discount). My dad is a semi-professional blues/classic rock muscian who will gig with this about 2-4 times a month. I know he will prefer a tube model as well. Any suggestions?
A Fender Supersonic

Its like a Twin Reverb with an overdrive channel

AMAZING amp!

Very Versatile.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
If you decide to buy an overdrive pedal too for the more classic rock kinda stuff, take a look at a Fulltone OCD
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
or you can just get the twin reverb + an OD pedal like the maxon OD 808
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
'65 Super Reverb Reissue. Loud, clean, beautiful reverb, and great overdrive when cranked.

The '57 Deluxe is also very good, but will not stay clean when playing with a band. I would pick this one for playing with a Telecaster. The Super Reverb can't be beat when used with a strat.

The Twin Reverb is simply too loud.
Quote by Teh GIR
A Fender Supersonic

Cool amp, but not for your dad.

How big are the gigs he's playing? What artists does he cover?

The Twin is a really loud amp, and not what I would be looking for, myself, either.

I'd suggest either the 59 Bassman or the Super Reverb. Both are high quality, gigging amps. The Bassman is a bare bones amp that's all about the tone, while the Super Reverb -while tonefully sweet itself- also offers up some excellent reverb and tremolo effects that your dad might enjoy. I'd probably lean towards the Super.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

The Twin is a really loud amp, and not what I would be looking for, myself, either.

I'd suggest either the 59 Bassman or the Super Reverb. Both are high quality, gigging amps. The Bassman is a bare bones amp that's all about the tone, while the Super Reverb -while tonefully sweet itself- also offers up some excellent reverb and tremolo effects that your dad might enjoy. I'd probably lean towards the Super.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the Bassmans overdrive, though. It's got a bit of a brittle, fizzy thing going on. Great cleans, though.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania

He plays a lot of different venues such as clubs,mid to larger bars, and he plays fairs and festivals in the summers also. As far as artists I know he plays a lot of SRV, Johnny Winter, Clapton and that sort of guitar driven blues. He plays in a 4 piece band (drums, bass, guitar, sax). Also, if he's playing weddings and such he'll play classic rock like the Stones. I hope that helps. If you need more info I could call him tomarrow (I live in a different state - he lives in Alaska) and get back to you. I'll look into the super reverb. Thanks for the help so far.
The Super Reverb would still be the winner. If you want to pump him for info, get the exact model of the amp he's currently using, and find out if he mics it for shows. If he's playing festivals, it's possible that he might prefer the Twin Reverb.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Super Reverb would still be the winner. If you want to pump him for info, get the exact model of the amp he's currently using, and find out if he mics it for shows. If he's playing festivals, it's possible that he might prefer the Twin Reverb.

I can't be positive at this juncture but I'm pretty sure at larger fair shows and festivals his amp is miced because it would be hard for anything short of a wall of speakers to be loud enough to sound right and they usually record the shows.
I say super reverb because i own one and i love the tone. However i havent tried any of the other suggested ones
No body says you can't turn a twin down. A twin does sound great at lower volumes also.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
With 2 grand to spend DO NOT get a new fender amp. Forget the discount, you can get vintage blackface gear for that much dough, '64 bassmans run only $600 for a 50W handwired head, and will sound at least 2x as good as anything fender makes now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/65-blackface-fender-twin-reverb-vintage_W0QQitemZ120227590818QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There, 1700 for a 1965 Twin Reverb, your dad will own this for the rest of his life and then pass it on to you.

Believe me, I owned an American Made '96 Blues Deville, then a $1500 Pro Tube Twin, and those amps both pale in comparison to my '77 deluxe, which is a toy compared to a blackface twin.

Go vintage, your dad will thank you for not getting him an amp made from circuit boards and plywood.

edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-1965-Blackface-Super-Reverb-Amp-VINTAGE_W0QQitemZ180218965455QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-BASSMAN-BLACKFACE-1966_W0QQitemZ180218857814QQihZ008QQcategoryZ121157QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Tremolux-vintage-1965-Blackface_W0QQitemZ330215218866QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Last edited by hamish5178 at Mar 2, 2008,
Pretty odd that a 65 Super Reverb will sell for 800, he is either waiting for more bids or if he does sell for 800 there is something wrong with it. Ive seen the silverface models (which are not considered as good) sell for 1500-1800.
Blackface amps go for under a grand all the time, not to mention the guy said he had 2 grand to spend.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~