I'm considering making the switch from the mass of pedals at my feet to a lovely neat rackmounted setup with a midi foot controller or something similar. However, I seem to be at a bit of a loss in finding the sort've unit i'm looking for.

I'm looking for a rackmounted multi-effects processor that has all the common effects integrated, chorus, flange, delay etc. with possibly a built in compressor and noise suppressor. All with a budget of around £300, used is certainly an option.

I did look at the line 6 bass POD, but I fear that all the preamp models would go to waste due to my GK rig giving me all the tone I need, but then are the effects good enough quality to make up for this? I've also heard things about the Lexicon Mxp G2 and the Boss VF1 but they both seem to be guitar orientated units and I can't attest to how they handle my low-end output.

Can anyone offer me some guidance here?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Why not get two units, a nice easy to use multi effects (2 at a time) unit like a lexicon or the super simple one they sell on Carvin.com and then also get a dedicated compressor? I'm no expert, but I'd get an general PA use processor before I got one designed for guitar just so that the bass response is more likely to be there. I'm using a cheap little zoom rack mount unit right now and the effects sound way better on a bass than guitar pedal effects would.

It depends what you want too: want to program in 50 super layered presets to switch between during gigs, or want one or two one-trick channels that are really intuitive and quick to edit on the fly? I'm really thinking of buying that little carvin number just because it seems to do the second so well for cheap... I really hate digital menus. If you want to use a tone and switch a lot, disregard my advice, but at least consider the possibility of keeping things simple, makes experimenting and gigging life a little easier

Most of these just have footswitchable channels, so you can buy a few foot switches and be ready to roll.
With your GK head, you SHOULD be able to get the GK tone with the FX. but the best way is to try it out. you could look into the Tech 21 PSA, it is made for guitar but also works with basses
+1 to dullsilver, the POD is more for set and go type stuff. Though it does have compressors for each channel so you can have a bit more control over your sound than having a dedicated compressor. Be careful about which firmware version you have on yours though, it may not be to your liking. When I had my POD, I like the older firmware version a LOT better than the newer one I DL'd. However, the newer firmware was better for messing with tones on the fly, whereas the older was better for switching channels.

As for the overall sound of the effects and emulations, it's pretty good. I got a good few compliments on my tone when I had it and the effects were great for my needs. I wish I had it back now that I know more about tone, though. I guess you have to make choices: sound good with POD, or make sound at all with amp.

I definitely say go for the POD, you shouldn't be disappointed, even if it's only for the effects.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Thanks everyone for the advice, seems I have a good few choices to look into now! Gonna have to try some out.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2