I'm looking to get a mega tight, but with a fat low end sound. I did have the old krankenstein, it was mega tight, but lacking the bass, and I also have a triple recto, not tight but fat low end.

Has anyone tried out the krankenstein Plus (I'm on a way keyboard, can't find the symbol!) But yeh, it's now either between the krankenstein plus or the mark IV or the triple recto, but to be fair, I don't think i'm gonna be able to tighten up the recto to how I want it..
Quote by MrPillow
Get a Randall.

+1. Mark IV's always seem pretty trebly to me.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
look at erock503's profile thing. he has clips of both fortunately for you
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yeh man i've been speaking to him quite a bit actually, been well helpful! it's hard to make a decision without playing both amps, but they don't sell them in any shops here in the UK, so it's gonna be hard to try them out and decide which one. I'm really going for a black album tone, so maybe the Mark IV, but according to Erock the krankenstein plus is more aggressive and has more low end
The Krankenstein would sound alright for $500, but for what they change, it's terrible. The Triple Rectifier is completely pointless unless you're playing un-miced stadiums with the clean channel.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yehh the triple rec is just to messy, really not tight enough. You think the Mark IV with maybe a maxon od808 as a gain boost?? Could nail the black album sort of sound i'm going for....!?
I am a huge fan of Kranks ( I have a Revolution ) so i would suggest maybe looking for a Revolution? They are a lot differnt then the 'Stein+, i loved the KrankenStein+ when i played it, but once i played the Rev1 i was sold. The Krankensteins (i love saying Krankenstsin for some reason) has it's own flavor for sure. If you like the Stein, try the Rev.

haha! yeh? to be honest i didn't even dig the krank that much, it just had nice clarity to it, definitely not enough gain or low end though..
The Triple Recto I played sounded great for metal, but nothing else...is that what you're playing? There are way better heads than the Triple Recto for the same price.
High as tits
Yeh i'm playing Metal man. Metallica old school tone is really what I'm looking for, but with a bit more low end. The low end of the TR is what drew me to it, but it's just way too loose for my liking now! What amps would you suggest?? I think I might try out the Mark IV like i said, with an overdrive pedal as a gain boost
I think the Mark IV is a great amp, and have also heard great things about the ENGL Powerball and Diezel amps for metal.
High as tits
Yeh man, the only thing i'm worried about the powerball is that it sounds a bit TOO dark. The sound clips i've heard, it sounds really really nice and tight, but it just sounds a bit too dark, still it's got that low end the mark IV is apparently lacking in!!

Yeh?? what's diezel distortion like?
Ehhh powerballs are a bit more brighter than most metal amps...IMO.

Maybe a 5150, or a 6505?
Really?? I'm definitely gonna give it a go.. Don't like the 5150, used it for lead stuff in my last recording, just doesn't cut it i don't think. Haven't triedf the 6505 though....
Quote by ollievk
Really?? I'm definitely gonna give it a go.. Don't like the 5150, used it for lead stuff in my last recording, just doesn't cut it i don't think. Haven't triedf the 6505 though....

Then don't bother with the 6505, unless it's a + (although it's not THAT different).

Mesa Roadster?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
hey bro, if you didn't dig your last Krankenstein, you probably won't like the newer ones either. It's a little tighter, and has more lowend and punch, but the voicing is basically the same. I think if you are shooting for that old school metallica sound, you would do great with a Mark IV. There is a lot of lowend there too if you dial it in. I used a Mesa OS 4x12 with my Mark IV, and it had plenty of thump matched with that cab. One thing to remember too, if you do end up trying out the Mark IV, it can be a little rough to dial in at first. Get some settings from the manual and people on the forums, so you aren't going in blind. It's a hell of an amp, I just preferred the Stein more for my modern metal tones. The Mark will cover a lot more ground however, and do it well.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Sorry to be so dismissive haha! But the roadsters distortion is near enough the same as the triple rectifier, I can't imagine it having a tighter sound!? I'm sure it's got that awesome low end you can get, especially with palm muting and picking, but then that messy messy loose distortion and high end!
Erock, thanks again man! words of wisdom haha!! I think I might do that! Get one off ebay from the states, then buy the UK transformer
Since you didn't mention anything about a price:

Bogner Uberschall

It hurts my ears.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Yeh price isn't an issue, working loads at the moment. Sounds good, gain isn't tight enough though, nice low end
Quote by ollievk
Sorry to be so dismissive haha! But the roadsters distortion is near enough the same as the triple rectifier, I can't imagine it having a tighter sound!? I'm sure it's got that awesome low end you can get, especially with palm muting and picking, but then that messy messy loose distortion and high end!

The Roadster and Roadking are much different than the regular rectos. I'd give them a shot, they're very capable of getting a tight sound out of them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeh?? i've heard that they aren't THAT different! You think it's a wiser choice over the Mark IV
Speak to MESAexplorer or FLCLcowdude, they both have one. MESAexplorer also has a Mark IV so he can give you some comparisons there, it's also Erock's old one
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just be prepared to have to mess with the Mark IV a LOT. It does take a while to get a sound that you like out of it, but once you do you love it like nothing else.
Hmm, just a heads up, found this on GC's used section for the Tucson store here.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104571717 $1600 is a damn good deal, I'm half tempted to buy it and then just put it on ebay
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^

sorry, it's not that great of a deal... but $11,999 isn't too bad either.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
^

sorry, it's not that great of a deal... but $11,999 isn't too bad either.

Oh crap, wrong link.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104674971
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
tehe

think it's really a c+ though?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Since you live in the UK I would skip both of them due to ridiculous prices. Look at Framus, ENGL, and Laney.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
tehe

think it's really a c+ though?

I dunno, I wanna know what's wrong with it if it is. I could buy it and make some good cash off it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Having Played Dual Rec solos, Roadsters, and Road Kings, I can say that the Roadster is MUCH tighter than the dual rec is. I didn't like the rec too much but I really liked the Roadster/RK.

On another note:

If money isn't an issue, look into:

Engl
Brunetti
Bogner
Vht
Rivera
Soldano
Diezel
Mako
Cameron
Splawn
Elmwood

The list of great high gain amp manufacturer's goes on for a long time.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno, I wanna know what's wrong with it if it is. I could buy it and make some good cash off it

doooo it!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yehh but i really dig the mesa distortion though... Dude, i'll buy that C+!!