I have to do a 15 minute presentation tomorrow on the topic of my choice. I Chose "The History of the Electric Guitar"
As much as I'd like to get in front of the class and play November rain, Black Magic Woman, or (ugh)...freebird, to kill most of the 15 mins, I can't.
I need:
-A Speech or lecture ( I'm thinking a brief run down of the electric guitar timeline, including bits about Leo Fender and Les Paul.)

-some sort of Demonstration (maybe a how-to on a proper string change?)

-and at least 3 types of media(i'll do a slideshow to go with the lecture, or maybe show the parts of the guitar, and some sound samples of different guitars)

Help please! suggestions, anything.
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Mention how guitar playing has evolved from like Buddy Holly to Herman Li.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
To kill some time you could list some things that have nothing to do with guitar.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Don't do that, it'll make it sound like the evolution of the guitar is a bad thing.

hahaha
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
lol.
good Idea tho!
I was planning on listing a few of the most influential people that played. (Hendrix, EVH, Randy Rhodes, etc..)
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by freedoms_stain
Herman Li is getting alot of post time today.

I think there's alot of closet Dragonforce fans on.

I don't even like Herman Li. I was just pointing out the different sounds that have sort of evolved from guitar playing.
Quote by Noyon999

i was listening to an interesting show on the radio (that's right....) the other night, about unsung heroes of rock music and such. an interesting part was how the guy was talking about how the electric was initially made to simply be louder, and then he went into how distortion was made. one of the first examples of early distortion was when the kink's guitarist(sorry i don;t know his name) slashed his amp's speaker, and the result was the guitar sound you hear in "you really got me". maybe mention how effects came into play?
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by appetite4gnr
(maybe a how-to on a proper string change?)

That would bore people. Just a heads-up.
explain how they work a bit. Use in pop culture, different styles, etc.
awesome ideas! keep 'em comming!
I like the "evolution" idea. maybe i'll include something about where the electric is headed? like those hybrid's?
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by appetite4gnr
lol.
good Idea tho!
I was planning on listing a few of the most influential people that played. (Hendrix, EVH, Randy Rhodes, etc..)
at the end mention how some players are overatted and just post a gif icon of "HERMAN LI TAB BOOK" clip thing where he says "AM7" with a subtitle under it that says it or sumthin.

or just a pic of him with AM7 written on it XD
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Rip off your face and eat it. How could you not give that an A?

Oh yea play a little guitar too.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
If you want to fail then you should do the history of Electric Guitar. Get rid of that word electric and you might be able to make a decent presentation.
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Give the history of the guitar and makers eg like you said Leo Fender. If you do demonstrations about guitar that doesn't involve playing it, I guarentee it will bore the audience (no offence).

So say what Chikitty_China said: the guitar has evolved from artists such as *previous famous guitarist* (then play a bit of his/her music to show) to *new famous guitarist*(and once again play a sample). The audience will seem interesting if you're playing it.

Show some of your guitars and the time will fly by.
Best of luck.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
if you have varied guitars at ur home(like a strat, LP, acoustic, etc.) bring em in and show how their all different, and not all guitars are the same, also introduce effects and stuff, all the guitar-ignorant people in your class would probably go gah-gah over a wah-wah pedal, a flange, phaser, tremelo, or whammy bar!!
Quote by blue_strat
That would bore people. Just a heads-up.

I know. Any good ideas for a visual demonstration?

Quote by sincewhen??
Give the history of the guitar and makers eg like you said Leo Fender. If you do demonstrations about guitar that doesn't involve playing it, I guarentee it will bore the audience (no offence).

So say what Chikitty_China said: the guitar has evolved from artists such as *previous famous guitarist* (then play a bit of his/her music to show) to *new famous guitarist*(and once again play a sample). The audience will seem interesting if you're playing it.

great idea. I was planning on doing something along those lines.
either way tho, I have to give alot of the presentation without playing it...
I am playing it for a portion of it, but i'm not worried about that part.
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by Steve The Plank
Don't do that, it'll make it sound like the evolution of the guitar is a bad thing.

if you teach guitar evolution you must teach guitar creationism too
Quote by appetite4gnr
I know. Any good ideas for a visual demonstration?

Showing how various effects pedals work?
Try explaining diff techniques of playing guitar, how guitars differ from other instruments, different styles, why nu-metal guitarists suck, etc.
I'm not much into effects. I only use a wah. I'm mostly focusing on the guitar itself. construction, electronics, history etc.
Quote by piratemetalhead
Try explaining diff techniques of playing guitar, how guitars differ from other instruments, different styles, why nu-metal guitarists suck, etc.

like, palm mutes, scrapes, bends, divebombs, squeals? stuff that can only be done on electric?
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
for a demonstration show different playing stlyes, for example, classical(wait never mind you screwed yourself with the word electric) show techniques, for example pinch harmonic, etc
Quote by RPGoof
I feel dirty just reading that word. Grindcore... EW... I need a shower

Quote by stratkat
music is my meth equivalent