i just got cubase sx and i cant get it to record correctly. im running it on windows vista(probably the root of the problem) and im trying to record through a usb port. it keeps on recording from the mic on my laptop rather than my usb and i don't know how to switch it. any help?
well, the setup is guitar to pod xt live. pod into crate powerblock. powerblock into alesis mixer via xlr cable, and then mixer to usb port
What matters is the ASIO driver that you have. In Cubase you need to assign the right driver for the right recording interface. By default you will probably have a Direct X, possibly Direct X Full Duplex driver selected. To check, go to Devices->Device Setup, VST Audiobay. You'll have to try and find an ASIO driver on the Alesis website.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Quote by MrPillow
I do not believe Alesis products are Vista compatible, sorry.

Well, mine is

Anyway, yeah....

Go to devices>device setup>vst audiobay. Then, where it says "Master ASIO Driver", select your mixer. If it's not there, then you'll have to download the latest driver on the Alesis site, as someone already said. When that's done, restart Cubase and try it again.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
restart Cubase and try it again.

no restart is necesarry, but you may need to check the device routing (Press F4 to show it). Restarting Cubase does nothing in this situation.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
^Actually, you're right. It just asks you if you're sure you want to switch, if I remember correctly.
There is poetry in despair.
Nothing wrong with Vista... Everything wrong are at your settings. Learn to do it by the book before begin to bash something. Both Cubase and POD XT works perfectly on my PC here...

Read the damn manual!
Quote by Crazy Drummer69
What matters is the ASIO driver that you have. In Cubase you need to assign the right driver for the right recording interface. By default you will probably have a Direct X, possibly Direct X Full Duplex driver selected. To check, go to Devices->Device Setup, VST Audiobay. You'll have to try and find an ASIO driver on the Alesis website.

You sir are a f**kin genius! ive spent hours trying to figure out why i couldnt record through my GX into Cubase SX and you solved it for me! i'm ecstatic i was getting really pissed off grr

Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300