I need a 100-120 watt head in the price range of 0-400$. I know you guys bash the mg's, but that's the one I'm looking at. I just need the head, not the cab, and I'd rather not have a combo.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
why do u NEED 100-120 watts?

its like saying "i need a lamborgini murcilago"

go for a 50watt amp... MAX
1. What do you play?
2. Wy a head?
3. WHY 100watts?! 30 watts tube will sound 92376459837465983746598374659837465983746598217634903847609348 better and still be loud enough (I have a 30W Orange, that's never passed 3 on gigs for hundres of people, unmiced too!)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Get a Peavey Windsor. MG's do suck. The bigger ones suck more.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Get a Peavey Windsor. MG's do suck. The bigger ones suck more.

Yeah Windsors are pretty damn good for the price. The only drawback is there are pretty much no cleans.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Riffer_maddness
Line 6 Spider II $250 cant go wrong

why would you ever get a spider.....
just dont get an MG or spider
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I'm all for a halfstack but unless your spending $1000+ on the head your gunna get a piece of junk. Listen to these guys or save up. I'm a bit of a stack fan boy my self but just becuae its a stack it doesn't mean its better just different.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Quote by _DeX_
I'm all for a halfstack but unless your spending $1000+ on the head your gunna get a piece of junk. Listen to these guys or save up. I'm a bit of a stack fan boy my self but just becuae its a stack it doesn't mean its better just different.

+1

What cab do you have already? Music style?
Mostly classic rock and metal, but some cleans too for Floyd (the pink kind) and for jamming.
I need the wattage because I'm doing a show that has terrible acoustics, so small sounds just get drowned out.

In response to Dex, I know I'm not getting a great head for under 1k, but I need a new amp anyway, and I figured I might as well go with the stack so I can keep the cab when I move on to a better head.

Let me Put it this way, if you had to pick a head that was under 400usd what would you choose.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Last edited by evilbeaver22 at Mar 2, 2008,
It's called a microphone bro, also, don't waste your money to play one show, you'll be stuck with a ****e amp for a while.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
What could you possibly need 100watts for? Are you playing Wembley or Donnington?

And I hope you know you can't play a head without a cab, as you failed to state whether you have one or not, and what it is.

EDIT: You don't need 100 watts to fill a room with bad acoustics. 30 is more than enough. Even 20 will do, if it's tube.

And even if you got the MG head and cab, and you moved on to a better head, you would need a new cab. A ENGL, Diezel, Marshall (tube), Fender, any head won't sound good through an MG cab.
High as tits
Peavey Windsor.
Fuhgeddabout cleans though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
In response to Dex, I know I'm not getting a great head for under 1k, but I need a new amp anyway, and I figured I might as well go with the stack so I can keep the cab when I move on to a better head.

Used jcm 800 try ebay.
edit: sorry forgot your budget. The only head i can think of is the peavey valveking which im not very fond of but some people like it. They usually go for cheap. Theres a used 1 here at a pwn shop going for $325 (CAD)
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Don't listen to everyone on here telling you that 30 watts tube is OMG MORE THAN ENOUGH UNLESS YOURE PLAYING MADISON QUARE GARDEN. You know how much volume you need, and 30 watts may not be enough. I have a JCM900 stack and I put it usually on at least 4 for practices, even more for shows. I can tell you if I had it set on 3 then it would not be loud enough for a show, and mines a 50 watt, not a 30.

Anyway, you wont find much good tube heads for $400. If you do, then you got a really good deal. I'd reccomend a Peavey Windsor, which is $400 new. I dont really have experience with them, but I hear theyre a good amp for the money, and It will kick the **** out of any MG. Dont waste you're money on a $400 or less solid state head, the Peavey Windsor is the best you're gonna get unless you find some incredible deal. It's also 120 tube watts, which is honestly loud enough for anything you would need, noone will disagree with me on that.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I have an amp modeling pod, so I only care about clean and volume, I'm doing all the tone creation through my preamp. Just need a cheap power amp.

Also, I do know I need a cab, I want the head and cab because I want the versatility of the separate cab and head.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Last edited by evilbeaver22 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by LastCaress88
Don't listen to everyone on here telling you that 30 watts tube is OMG MORE THAN ENOUGH UNLESS YOURE PLAYING MADISON QUARE GARDEN. You know how much volume you need, and 30 watts may not be enough. I have a JCM900 stack and I put it usually on at least 4 for practices, even more for shows. I can tell you if I had it set on 3 then it would not be loud enough for a show, and mines a 50 watt, not a 30.

Anyway, you wont find much good tube heads for $400. If you do, then you got a really good deal. I'd reccomend a Peavey Windsor, which is $400 new. I dont really have experience with them, but I hear theyre a good amp for the money, and It will kick the **** out of any MG. Dont waste you're money on a $400 or less solid state head, the Peavey Windsor is the best you're gonna get unless you find some incredible deal. It's also 120 tube watts, which is honestly loud enough for anything you would need, noone will disagree with me on that.

30 watts tube IS enough! I also have a JCM900 stack, the 100watt head, but I keep it on 50 watts, because it's more than enough for practise and gigs. All you need is to be heard over the drummer, and the volume on 5 does that fine. Do you really think this guy will have the volume on 8 or 9??? "Bad acoustics" are not a guideline to follow to purchase a 100watt amp. It's just stupid. Counter the bad acoustics with mics, which you should be doing anyways.
High as tits
I have the same amp, Mines always on the half power mode also. I didnt say that 30 watts will definitly not be enough, i said that he knows how much he wants and that he may want more. I'm sure 30 watts tube prabobly would be enough for a show, but it'd prabobly have the be turned up pretty high, prabobly at least 3 o'clock to be sufficient. I was reffering to guy up there who said that he's got a 30 watt head, and it's never been past 3, and his gigs are filled with hundreds of people. I find that hard to beleive. Unless he's got a really special, out of the ordinary amp, then 30 watts tube on 3 is not enough for a show.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Peavey Windsor, VK, or Classic 30/50 (used). Or crate V32-V50 head.

But, I would save up more for a decent head rather than get an alright one now, and a good one later.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
OK, if you're really against cheap stacks then what would you suggest in a combo for under 500$
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by evilbeaver22
I have an amp modeling pod, so I only care about clean and volume, I'm doing all the tone creation through my preamp. Just need a cheap power amp.

Also, I do know I need a cab, I want the head and cab because I want the versatility of the separate cab and head.

Oh, you only care about the clean channel, not the amp distortion? That makes it a little harder I think, because you arent going to find an amp will alot of headroom in the $400 range. The only thing I can think of right now is suggesting a Fender combo. I cant give you a specific one because I dont know alot about Fender amps, but I know they're known for a good clean channel. I have heard that they dont do mid/high gain stuff good either, not matter what pedal you're putting into it, so you're still in a bind. If you really want what you described, then youre gonna have to save up more money. $400 for a tube amp head with alot of headroom (which is what you need for the amp to stay clean at high volumes) is pretty inconsiderable.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
Oh, you only care about the clean channel, not the amp distortion? That makes it a little harder I think, because you arent going to find an amp will alot of headroom in the $400 range. The only thing I can think of right now is suggesting a Fender combo. I cant give you a specific one because I dont know alot about Fender amps, but I know they're known for a good clean channel. I have heard that they dont do mid/high gain stuff good either, not matter what pedal you're putting into it, so you're still in a bind. If you really want what you described, then youre gonna have to save up more money. $400 for a tube amp head with alot of headroom (which is what you need for the amp to stay clean at high volumes) is pretty inconsiderable.

I have thought about a fender twin front man, or Princeton, but I heard the same, they don't sound good for what I want to play.
I figured a cheap head with even a semi decent clean would be fine because I am creating the tone with a preamp.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Used Peavey VK head?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The Windsor should give you semi-decent cleans. Prabobly not anything you would like, but something that would be useable. I still say save more money, once you get into the $600 give or take price range, then you can start looking for an amp you'll be happy with.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
What about a Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH? Any thoughts?
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by LastCaress88
I have the same amp, Mines always on the half power mode also. I didnt say that 30 watts will definitly not be enough, i said that he knows how much he wants and that he may want more. I'm sure 30 watts tube prabobly would be enough for a show, but it'd prabobly have the be turned up pretty high, prabobly at least 3 o'clock to be sufficient. I was reffering to guy up there who said that he's got a 30 watt head, and it's never been past 3, and his gigs are filled with hundreds of people. I find that hard to beleive. Unless he's got a really special, out of the ordinary amp, then 30 watts tube on 3 is not enough for a show.

Past three isn't necessary, that's like having the volume turned to what 8? You need to understand that a 30 watt tube head on a 4x12 cab will project sound a lot better than a 2x12 or 2x10 combo.

Also, think of a high school gym. That can fill on average around 1100-1400 standing students/people, so cut that gym into half, and you have about 600 people, which isn't that big of a space, so 30 watts tube can easily play for "hundreds of people".
High as tits
Quote by LastCaress88

No, 30 watts tube is loud enough for any show where they don't have a PA for the instruments. As long as you can be heard over the drummer: that's loud enough and no drummer is louder than a 30w tube amp. More to the point, 100w is not actually much louder than 30w anyway, it's just for bigger headroom on cleans. Also with 100w you will almost never get to properly crank it so you'll never get that awesome saturated tube sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What about used jvm combo's?
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by evilbeaver22

If you can afford it and you like the tone; go for it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
QUOTE-Past three isn't necessary, that's like having the volume turned to what 8? You need to understand that a 30 watt tube head on a 4x12 cab will project sound a lot better than a 2x12 or 2x10 combo.

Also, think of a high school gym. That can fill on average around 1100-1400 standing students/people, so cut that gym into half, and you have about 600 people, which isn't that big of a space, so 30 watts tube can easily play for "hundreds of people".-QUOTE

Do you mean having the volume at 3 o'clock? Because if so, then like I said in earlier posts then thats fine. A 30 watt tube amp turned to 3 o clock can handle shows. But If you mean actually on 3, then saying "Past three isn't necessary, that's like having the volume turned to what 8?" is pretty rediculous, theres a huge difference between volum on 3 and volume on 8. Maybe not on your amp, but on regular amps, it makes a big difference. I have a halfstack too, 4x12 not 2x12, and I still turn my amp up to past 5 most of the time for shows. If you think about it in a gym, then you'd prabobly be right. All shows arent like Gyms though, not everyone may be sitting directly in front of the stage. There's plenty of venues that have people go to the side, or somewhere else besides directly in the front. I'm not defending that, I think its pretty pointless, but theres still places like that.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Quote by evilbeaver22

If you can find a JVM combo for $400, even $800, then buy that right now because theres not doubt in my mind that it wont be selling for long. The JVMs are really good amps, and I think they have the best clean channel out of any Marshall, I really like it. It's not like normal Marshall "dirty" cleans, its actually a clean channel. I also dont think you'd need your pod if you got a JVM, theyre 100% versatility.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,