*shakes fist* Damn you, Ms. V!

We have to write a 16 measure piece in 9/8 meter in B-flat minor that includes 2 or 3 examples of leading tone seventh chords. First and third measure must be the same, and it also needs to sound "folky".

Can anyone give me a rough idea as to how I should structure this thing? I've never written in 9/8 before and I think I'm about to make an ass of my self.
9/8 time is like triplets in 3/4. So instead of 1 and 2 and 3 and, count it 1 and uh 2 and uh 3 and uh.

Edit: I'm saying the same thing as Archeo.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 2, 2008,
If you're treating 9/8 as a compound meter (which I assume they expect you to), it will consist of three groups of three eighth notes (ONE two three - one two three - one two three)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you're treating 9/8 as a compound meter (which I assume they expect you to), it will consist of three groups of three eighth notes (ONE two three - one two three - one two three)

How else would you treat 9/8?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
9/8 CAN be in triplet 3/4, but I've played a piece in 9/8 that was 2 2 3 2.

1 2 1 2 1 2 3 1 2

Basically, make it feel like the 3rd beat of each measure is loftier and lasts longer.

EDIT: to make it sound folky, I'd just go with the triplet 3/4 feel. The other grouping I showed sounds too "overture-ish" to me.
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by coffeeguy9
9/8 CAN be in triplet 3/4, but I've played a piece in 9/8 that was 2 2 3 2.

1 2 1 2 1 2 3 1 2

Basically, make it feel like the 3rd beat of each measure is loftier and lasts longer.

EDIT: to make it sound folky, I'd just go with the triplet 3/4 feel. The other grouping I showed sounds too "overture-ish" to me.

Of course, as as hybrid meter.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation