ok im about to go teach a couple of kids how to play guitar in a few hours for a healthy sum of moneys.... its my first time teaching so i need some tips.

theyve already been playin for about a year so they do know a few things. first of all im gonnna suss out what they already know (what open chords they know, bar chords, scales, whether they can read music/tab etc)

then im gonna suss it where they wanna go, like if they wanna play rock or classical or what.

and then ask if there are any songs in particular they want to learn next week or something.

does that sound about right? am i missing anything?
If they know the frets, if they can tune it, if they know how to do certain things (tremolo picking, basic 1 finger tapping, etc)
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
First figure out what they know, and then show them songs from different genres that include things you want to teach them.

For example, at one of the music schools I go to, each lesson, I learn a classical/acoustic style tune, a jazz tune, and a rock(ish) tune that cover some new form of theory or something that I'm learning.
teach them about the chords in the major scale like I ii iii IV etc... and then that can help them learn to make there own songs

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
no harm in revising everything eg positioning and technique. do one string riffs to break them in and do 1/2 size treble string chords if they have really small fingers
It's not hard. I teach about fifteen kids every week, ranging in age from seven to sixteen (my age). Teach them notes, progress to chords...make sure you go over tuning and reading tablature.
Quote by ridder
ok im about to go teach a couple of kids how to play guitar in a few (what open chords they know, bar chords, scales, whether they can read music/tab etc)

barre.

sorry, it was bugging me
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86