Okay, I want to start getting into buying bodies, necks, ect off of ebay and building some of my own guitars. What would be a good starter project? I was thinking some sort on 1-pickup EVH Kramer type thing.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
bump
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Sounds pretty sweet, but if you are going to make an entire guitar, I would put 3 pickups in it...ofcourse that is if you want all 3
Hello
Do what I did; strat body and neck off ebay, with 1 humbucker in the bridge (I also slit the coils) total cost to me was under 200 usd and it sounds really ggod.
I thought that a 1-pickup guitar would be easy to wire, how hard is it to wire a multiple pckup guitar? Keep giving suggestions.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

If you're going to be building a guitar, the wiring is going to be one of the simplest parts, since you can find diagrams of how people have other people have wired different pickup layouts. A tele or strat would probably be the easiest to start off with, but if you're just buying the bodies and necks off of ebay, most of the work is already done for you so it doesn't matter as much what you turn them into.
wiring diagrams from
www.seymourduncan.com/support

Having more than one pickup is not complicated really. Just a little bit more soldering.
and
My first build was built from parts i brought, and it sounds amazing, although its always in pieces because i'm always doing something too it.

A strat is about as simple as it gets really, a simple one mind, 3 singles, 2 tone, 1 vol, 5 way.
And the fact that all the wiring is done on the back of the pickguard ( excluding the jack and earth wire) you can doing it easily as it doesn't have to be connected to the guitar when doing it.

A one humbucker guitar would be easy, but it won't give you much versitility really, i'd go with a HSS myself.
Consider an all inclusive kit from somewhere like Carvin or StewMac for a first build. It might not be a bad idea considering you won't have to track down extra parts and you'll get an excellent idea as to what exactly is involved.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
my best suggestion if you want to learn the most you can, buy a cheap end guitar, disassemble it completely, and put it all completely back together. Also, having a book like Guitar Player Repair Guide would speed up your knowledge and learning curve.

Buying a cheap end guitar kit (ie: saga) and then buying a better kit (ie: WD or Carvin) will really teach you the difference in what makes a good and a bad kit.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
i was thinking, it might be cheaper to get a whole really cheap guitar and take it appart,rather than get all the bits separatly.
Get a Squier Bullet Strat for $99, they are very good for the money and the assembly is very easy. I've got one that is waiting on pickups and a nice trem before I paint it and reassemble.