So I've already asked this question but i was not very clear on my music styles or what i want, so here goes!

I'm wanting a new amp, tube. It needs to be able to gig, but yet also reasonable for at home. Like a 50w tube or something. (combo only please, no stacks)

Price range: CAN: 400-700? (rough estimate, I will be saving up for it so i could go higher if it's worth it. I would be very happy if the price is not insane, the more i save, the more other things i can buy) I would also like to buy a pedal to achieve the tone i want ( Digitech bad monkey any good? SUGGEST a pedal to go with the amp for me please )

Music Style: I play pretty much everything, I do a lot of cleans in my guitar lessons/playing at home, yet I love playing metal riffs and classic rock tunes.

(bands: from John Mayer to eric clapton to RHCP to ACDC/led zeppelin to bullet for my valentine/lamb of god/atreyu)

I've been suggested the Peavey Valveking 112, Peavey Classic 30, traynor YCV40, Randall RG50TC, b-52 something? and a few others (crate and palomino also)

I'm not very comfortable buying used, had some bad experiences.

Suggestions please

Thanks a lot guys, I want good answers here so i can link this thread from now on to people who are looking for a tube amp in this price range also.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
yo do realize that theres a "which amp" sticky on the top of the forum right? or in GG&A i dont remember
are you going to contribute to the thread? I know there's a which amp thread, but it also only goes about 1 post a day... I would rather make a separate thread like every other person who wants a new amp to get results more quickly.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
well my last post had a touch of douchness i have to say... so...

1. try almost every fender tube (that fits your price range) seems that they cover what you look for...

2. personally i would get a palomino and a nice compresion pedal... or the valve king if youre more of a hard rock guy

edit: just rememered theres the "bugera" amps... i tried one... amazing tone! really look at those
Last edited by just17n8 at Mar 2, 2008,
the valveking has great clean tones and with an OD it has a great lead tone. a nice chugga chugga sound and will be perfect for bfmv. i play alot of them too.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
what od would work good with the VK

I've heard good things about the bad monkey(on budget) or the Maxon OD808 if you wanna spend the money

EDIT: and how is the VK 112 plugged in to a cabinet?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Since you are in Canada, I'm going to suggest one of our homemade amps. The Traynor YCV50. It has a ****load of gain, awesome cleans. Slatsmania explained it as almost fendery cleans and the overdrive is in the marshall area. But keep in mind you are only paying half the price of the Marshalls.

I personally don't think The amp alone with do any metalcore. but pair it up with a tubescreamer and It will be close. Or you can add a Jekyll and Hyde distortion/OD pedal in front of it and boom, brr00tals are waiting
yeah, i was seriously considering the traynors

Is the YCV50 worth the extra?

and do you know if i can buy directly from the factory

EDIT: NVM about the factory thing, i have a local dealer
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Mar 2, 2008,
Dude a have a 50w, and its not a "home use" amp LOL
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Since you are in Canada, I'm going to suggest one of our homemade amps. The Traynor YCV50. It has a ****load of gain, awesome cleans. Slatsmania explained it as almost fendery cleans and the overdrive is in the marshall area. But keep in mind you are only paying half the price of the Marshalls.

I personally don't think The amp alone with do any metalcore. but pair it up with a tubescreamer and It will be close. Or you can add a Jekyll and Hyde distortion/OD pedal in front of it and boom, brr00tals are waiting

+1
Probably my next amp unless I can spend more money and get an Egnater Tourmaster.
Quote by angeldef
Dude a have a 50w, and its not a "home use" amp LOL

it depends on what you think a home use amp is, my definition of home use is LOUD

my rents are cool
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^your so lucky man
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
After like 2 months of searching and countless threads in the same price range/styles, Ive made a decision.

Out of all the amps, the B-52 AT112 seems to come on top. Superior clarity, clean tones, distortion and overall value. The Randall has bad cleans and a shoddy speaker, the ValveKing has thin tone (at least when I tried it)

I'm getting the B-52 AT-112 along with a MXR MicroAmp. Im a big fan of natural tube tone, but I'm also a Gain-\/\/hore. The Microamp is almost completely transparent (doesnt color tone), and adds a nice smooth boost. It can also be used to make your Clean channel a very nice crunch channel.

I recommend the B-52.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I recommend the Traynor YCV50. At Long Mcquade it's only like, 20 bucks more than the YCV40, and I think it sounds much better.

If you wanna go cheaper than that, I'd say go for a Blues Jr. They're great little amps, and will be able to do small gigs.
You could try A orange tiny terror.

Theres a sale at ALL long and mcquades and its only like 450$ plus cab would be maybe 800

OR you could get a Mesa F-30. The were selling it at LandM for only 850
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by sum_ugly_man

+1 (kinda +'ing myself I guess, which is a little weird... )

Go with the Traynor. Of all the amps in your price range, it is EASILY the highest quality amp. The other amps you list in your initial post can't even touch it. In the UK, the YCV 50 costs the same or more than a Marshall DSL401, for reference. And, IMHO, the Traynor's the superior amp. They're built like tanks, but sound a lot better.

For heavier stuff, the YCV 40 might be a better choice for you. Don't be fussed about 10W, the difference in volume and/or headroom between the two amps is minimal. The gain's a little more modern on the 40. Swapping out the 6L6's for KT66's sharpen up the OD even more. And s_u_m is right, you'll need a pedal for the seriously high gain stuff (with any of these amps), and the J&H is a very good choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
+1 (kinda +'ing myself I guess, which is a little weird... )

Go with the Traynor. Of all the amps in your price range, it is EASILY the highest quality amp. The other amps you list in your initial post can't even touch it. In the UK, the YCV 50 costs the same or more than a Marshall DSL401, for reference. And, IMHO, the Traynor's the superior amp. They're built like tanks, but sound a lot better.

For heavier stuff, the YCV 40 might be a better choice for you. Don't be fussed about 10W, the difference in volume and/or headroom between the two amps is minimal. The gain's a little more modern on the 40. Swapping out the 6L6's for KT66's sharpen up the OD even more. And s_u_m is right, you'll need a pedal for the seriously high gain stuff (with any of these amps), and the J&H is a very good choice.

KT77's, actually. KT66's don't fit.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else. Traynor ftw.
I'll take your guys word for it and pay the extra for the ycv40, I'm sure i will regret it in the long run if i don't.

EDIT: whats the YCV40WR like? is it any different?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by just17n8
well my last post had a touch of douchness i have to say... so...

1. try almost every fender tube (that fits your price range) seems that they cover what you look for...

2. personally i would get a palomino and a nice compresion pedal... or the valve king if youre more of a hard rock guy

edit: just rememered theres the "bugera" amps... i tried one... amazing tone! really look at those

Quit posting...forever
fender tube amps ONLY do cleans, unless you can crank 80-100 watts
Have you ever played a fender tube amp?

Quote by danyellenik
I'll take your guys word for it and pay the extra for the ycv40, I'm sure i will regret it in the long run if i don't.

EDIT: whats the YCV40WR like? is it any different?

Supposedly just different tolex.
I'd suggest ordering it off of
here, as it was 150 cheaper for my ycv 50 than musicians friend.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Mar 3, 2008,
Quote by danyellenik
whats the YCV40WR like? is it any different?

It's got a Celestion V30 in it. A nice upgrade if you like that speaker.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
alright, I've always heard GREAT things about the V30 so I'll check out the YCV40WR and the YCV50 sometime this week.

Just called our local music store (it's an ice day here ) and they said there sold out of traynor's but she will call me back and let me know when they are getting new stock in so I can go and try them out.

Any cheaper substitues for the Jekyll and Hyde?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
alright, I've always heard GREAT things about the V30 so I'll check out the YCV40WR and the YCV50 sometime this week.

Just called our local music store (it's an ice day here ) and they said there sold out of traynor's but she will call me back and let me know when they are getting new stock in so I can go and try them out.

Any cheaper substitues for the Jekyll and Hyde?

any tubescreamer clone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
alright, would a bad monkey be any good?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
awsome, great
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
so, I'm going to head over to our local music store and try out these amps

Traynor YCV40
Traynor YCV40WR
Traynor YCV50
Peavey valveking 112
B-52 AT-112

ANY other amp suggestions for me to try

(i'll also grab a TS and test it with the amps)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^ The top three BLOW AWAY the bottom two, IMHO. Plug into a Peavey Classic if you have the chance, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
There probably won't be any Genz Benz's in your price range, but you should try those out if you have the chance, too. They're nice amps. But in Canada, you're not going to beat the Traynor.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
k thanks man, you're really helpful I always see you're name show up in threads. I'm surprised you're not a mod, if they even have mods on UG
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by slatsmania
^ The top three BLOW AWAY the bottom two, IMHO. Plug into a Peavey Classic if you have the chance, too.

BLOW AWAY is an overstatement imo...

The cleans/low gain might BLOW AWAY the bottom two, but the Traynor was pretty muddy with high gain (YCV50) when I tried it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
BLOW AWAY is an overstatement imo...

The cleans/low gain might BLOW AWAY the bottom two, but the Traynor was pretty muddy with high gain (YCV50) when I tried it.

gotta remember that with a bit of eq'ing that should go away to an extent.
and new t00bs would help.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer