Hi im deciding between A fender HSS MIM strat, An Ibanez JTK2/3/4 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Each with very different pickups. I was wondering which produce better cleans? Which produce better distorted? Also which sound better for zed zeppelin RHCP and rolling stines type music.

Thanks for the help.
The HSS strat would be your best bet. Jimmy Page and Keef both switched between guitars with humbuckers and single coils, so the versatility of the HSS strat would be nice.

As for the cleans, a lot of people prefer the sound of a clean strat to a clean Les Paul or a guitar with high- output pickups. The LP's sound a lot fatter and slightly muddier than strats do, and high- output pickups have kind of distinctive clean sounds, often very sterile- sounding but a lot of metal players prefer the sound to passives.
Clean = single coil
OD = humbuckers

As a general rule for passive pickups of course, but if you go actives you can get humbucker type overdrive and output from single coil. That doesn't mean humbuckers sound like crap clean or single coils are bad for an overdriven sound. Its all personal preference
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
It really depends on what kind of clean you want. The best way to go, as said before, is an HSS setup as you have the option of using both pickups.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
It really depends on what kind of clean you want. The best way to go, as said before, is an HSS setup as you have the option of using both pickups.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the HSS is the way to go though. Some people want the really twangy single coil bridge pickup. Most people with 2 humbuckers never use the bridge for cleans either.

For me it's gotta be the EMG 89 for clean. Really big fat humbucker tone, nice round poppy single coil tone. Best splitting pickup on the market if you ask me.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
do you think the ibanez's are any good (the jet kings listed above)?

are they as versatile as everyone says?
Quote by dzaerpoor
do you think the ibanez's are any good (the jet kings listed above)?

are they as versatile as everyone says?

Coil taps, at least to my ear, will get you maybe halfway between a humbucker and single- coil tone. I'm not a big fan of the Jet Kings, partly because they're hideous and partly because they're unremarkable guitars with mediocre pickups.
^ k well notice how everything i put are in the 400 dollar range and are kind of beginner guitars. How am i supposed to afford a Gibson LP and new pick ups? Come on man.
Quote by dzaerpoor
^ k well notice how everything i put are in the 400 dollar range and are kind of beginner guitars. How am i supposed to afford a Gibson LP and new pick ups? Come on man.

Haha, great response. Sorry, I don't have much advice to add, as I'm in basically the same situation switching from acoustic to electric and contemplating which electric to get. I've played a copy LP (I think it was a Sammie or something like that) and an SSS MIM strat through a Peavey classic 30 and the strat's cleans blew the LP out of the water, for sure. But an Epi Les Paul might sound better (it definitely feels better - I've played it before, but not through a good amp). The strat just had a really great clean sound to it. If you listen to the song "If" by RHCP from Stadium Arcadium, that's what the strat sounded like on the clean setting. The LP just had less character - it was deeper and duller - kinda boring. But I suppose that's just my opinion. Anyway, GL.
Last edited by MudaFoka at Mar 3, 2008,
I played an HSS Strat a few months back and I have been GASing for one ever since. It sounded amazing clean, it looked absolutely fantastic, and it felt even better. I want a white one with a maple fretboard. Grr.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

yeah well im leaning towards the Strat but the ibanez is appealing since its cheaper meaning i can get a better amp. im on a 750$ budget for everything (i mean everything, gig bag, tuner, picks, etc) so i dont know. But yeah i like the white strat.