Page 1 of 2
Well, in the past I've always plugged my guitar into whatever effects pedal, and then the effects pedal into the input. A lot of my friends that are musicians do it that way as well.

But on forums such as this one, I see that most people run it through their amps effects loop. Mine has an FX return and FX send. I'm wondering how I would hook up my pedals do this, and if there is any benefit to doing it this way?

My amp is a Marshall MG100HDFX head, I don't care that it isn't a tube amp, as I've noticed a lot of people here prefer tubes, well they can shove their tubes up their ass if they have any negative comments. Because I play Black Metal, and nothing that needs a tubes "tone", and I use distortion pedals anyway.
i was gonna say something and try to really help...but then i read the last paragraph...and that was not very nice...
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
i was gonna say something and try to really help...but then i read the last paragraph...and that was not very nice...

I agree.
Well thanks for not answering my question. First of all, I only said that I used distortion as an example to show how I don't care about a tubes tone. Second, I've been playing guitar for 11 years, and tubes sound no better to me. In fact, I don't like the sound, as I want evil distortion.
Quote by Otsugua713

+10000000000
A word springs to mind, guess what it is "b***T**z"
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by await_thewinter
Well thanks for not answering my question. First of all, I only said that I used distortion as an example to show how I don't care about a tubes tone. Second, I've been playing guitar for 11 years, and tubes sound no better to me. In fact, I don't like the sound, as I want evil distortion.

Evil to his listeners, I guess........
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by await_thewinter

If by evil you mean god-awful I can see where you're coming from.

Some effects sound better through the effects loop (especially when using the amp's distortion) like flange, reverb, delay and others.
Since you're using pedals for your distortion it won't really affect anything.
Does that help?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Yeah, when you are looking for help or a favor you normally wouldn't tell people to shove things up their asses.
Quote by await_thewinter

Have you ever even played a good tube amp for metal? Like a 5150, Mark IV, Rectifier, Uberschall, JSX, etc?
I wasn't planning on running my distortion through it. I was talking about effects pedals in general, as I plan on getting a good flanger. I just wanted someone to explain to me how it works. For instance, if I had a chorus or flange pedal, or something that you will agree with, would I not plug my guitar into it at all? I would just plug the send from the head into the pedal, and then the output of the pedal into the return? Again, what is the benefit of this?

Sorry if you were offended by my first posts last paragraph. If you re-read, I said they could shove them up their ass IF they had something negative to say, as I didn't want this thread to turn into an argument about a tubes clean tone, as I don't care about clean tone.
To acdcrocks, I haven't played through the amps you mentioned, but I've played through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL, and today I played a extremely ****ty sounding (to me) vintage Marshall tube amp, that didn't even have distortion.

And I'm not looking to play nu-metal, or anything in drop tuning. I play Black Metal.

And to all the others, great job upping your post count by posting things that contribute nothing to the thread. To all the others who have actually given advice, thanks.
^Tubes destroy most SS, especially yours for cleans AND distortion. Like I said, try one of those higher end amps and tell me you like SS better. I almost guaruntee you will like the tube amp better. You have been told/ heard a ton of misconceptions about tube amps I bet.

Edit: The JCM200 isn't a very good amp. Doesn't get too heavy and is just mediocre for such a high price. The vintage one I bet sounds awsome, but you need to turn it up to get overdrive/distortion. Not your kind of tone, I know, but old Marshalls like the JCM800 is what Slayer uses so Idk how heavy that is for you. Really vintage Marshalls were used by basically any group back in the day so without them you probably wouldn't have the same kind of music we have today.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Mar 2, 2008,
I guess there is something you don't understand. I don't use the amps distortion. And I wouldn't use a tube amps distortion. I would buy a effects pedal, and find a sound I like.

Another thing to mention, is the fact that many professional guitarists who use tube amps, have an array of effects pedals. They wouldn't use them, if they liked the sound of their amp as it is.
well if youre happy with your amp and sound right now...good for youuu...and about the question, yeah like everyone said there are certain pedals (modulation ones) and sometimes eq's that sound better (according to the person) through the effects loop
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
For anyone who doesn't understand, I play Black Metal. Listen to Burzum. That's the sound I want. tell me I need a tube amp.'

BTW, I have EMGs as well as my Metal Zone pedal, but I'm going to get a Metal Core pedal because they are superior, but anyway, I'd change the sound if I had a tube amp, to the same sound I have now, with my pedals. What is so hard to understand? I've been playing guitar for 11 years. I know what I like.
Quote by await_thewinter

You do know that most bands that use distortion use tube amps right? SS isn't only for distortion, in fact most people think distortion on a SS sounds like crap. And you have seriously been playing for 11 years and never decided to try something better than a beginner (your MG) amp?

EDIT:

Quote by await_thewinter
For anyone who doesn't understand, I play Black Metal. Listen to Burzum. That's the sound I want. tell me I need a tube amp.'

BTW, I have EMGs as well as my Metal Zone pedal, but I'm going to get a Metal Core pedal because they are superior, but anyway, I'd change the sound if I had a tube amp, to the same sound I have now, with my pedals. What is so hard to understand? I've been playing guitar for 11 years. I know what I like.

You're trying to justify your lack of an ear for tone by saying you have EMGs? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but EMGs through a SS was the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. Just because you have a popular type of pickups doesn't mean that you know what you're talking about.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Last edited by thsrayas at Mar 2, 2008,
Quote by await_thewinter
I guess there is something you don't understand. I don't use the amps distortion. And I wouldn't use a tube amps distortion. I would buy a effects pedal, and find a sound I like.

Another thing to mention, is the fact that many professional guitarists who use tube amps, have an array of effects pedals. They wouldn't use them, if they liked the sound of their amp as it is.

Yes, many artists have effects, but that isn't to change the tone of there amps. There is no other way to get delay or flanger without pedals. Plus, ODs are used to push tubes harder to get a heavier, tighter sound. So don't try saying that tube amp users need effects.
The reason that Marshall amp didn't have distortion is because it is a one channel amp. To distort it, you would've had to have cranked it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by await_thewinter

Because I play Black Metal, and nothing that needs a tubes "tone",

So unbelievably wrong. The day you hear a 6505 or ENGL you are going to **** your pants. MG is possibly the worst amp for any kind of metal I've ever heard in my life. It sounds like fuzz mixed with mud.

tubes are not used for clean tones, the idea of them is to get rich distortion unlike an SS amp. SS are used for pristine clean tones, so I think you have them mixed up.

Last, I don't see why an FX loop matters in a SS amp...
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I can see how a tube amp sounds better, for playing classic rock, Hendrix, Steve Vai, etc... or for bands such as AC/DC, where that distortion sounds good with it, and clean, etc...

And I can see how a tube amp turned up, would have a distortion good for that, but not for me. Obviously none of you have listened to real black metal.

And you guys contradict yourselves so much. Some of you are all against digital effects because to you tubes sound good as they are, but most of the people like you said, with tube amps use pedals to change the sound obviously. That's what pedals do. Most have a distortion pedal, and other pedals. The reason they have tube amps, is because they are expensive, and they don't even have to pay for them. They just want the best that there is. But guess what? They use pedals, and get the same sound I can get from my amp using pedals.
Quote by await_thewinter
I can see how a tube amp sounds better, for playing classic rock, Hendrix, Steve Vai, etc... or for bands such as AC/DC, where that distortion sounds good with it, and clean, etc...

And I can see how a tube amp turned up, would have a distortion good for that, but not for me. Obviously none of you have listened to real black metal.

And you guys contradict yourselves so much. Some of you are all against digital effects because to you tubes sound good as they are, but most of the people like you said, with tube amps use pedals to change the sound obviously. That's what pedals do. Most have a distortion pedal, and other pedals. The reason they have tube amps, is because they are expensive, and they don't even have to pay for them. They just want the best that there is. But guess what? They use pedals, and get the same sound I can get from my amp using pedals.

Yes pedals change sound. The point other people were trying to make is that NO AMP unless it's a modeling amp (which are usually terrible BTW) will have effects built in to them like flangers, phasers, etc.

And you most likely won't be able to get the same sound they can through your MG.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by await_thewinter

You are sooooo wrong. List some black metal bands that you like and I will take a listen. THen I can tell you what they use and that they use tube amps without distortion pedals. NOTHING can replicate something like a metal tone from a good metal tube amp.

Plus, effect pedals that pros use aren't digital at all. They are most likely all analog unless they use a digital delay. That is pretty much the only exception that a pro would use digital.
You contradict yourself so much. Have you guys not listened to Burzum? Until then you can't tell me I'd prefer a tube.
Quote by await_thewinter

ohhhhhhh REAL black metal. Guys stop giving him advice. None of you listen to REAL black metal.

Do your bands use marshall mgs? >.<
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by await_thewinter
You contradict yourself so much. Have you guys not listened to Burzum? Until then you can't tell me I'd prefer a tube.

How do we contradict ourselves?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by await_thewinter

You're calling us biased? do you have any idea how many metal bands use tubes for their sound. People buy pedals to enhance their sound, not to completely aler it. I'm preety sure they get a better sound.
Listen to this amp and your mind will be forever changed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUyGnLOGlY

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9JYIaixSI&feature=related

open your mind man, you obviously havent heard of so many amps mesa rectifiers, peavey 5150/6505s, ENGLpower/fireballs, VHT delieverance, Genz-Benz el diablo, Krank revolution, framus Cobra, bogner Ubershall, etc etc
Because the majority of people that are tube enthusiasts say how they are so against effects pedals, and distortion pedals, because they are digital.

And then the other people, who jump on bandwagons, and say how tubes are so much better, use distortion and effects pedals themselves, which is changing the tone, and not getting a tube tone at all. So it makes no sense.
The purpose of this thread was so someone could explain the effects loop to me. Not to get into a debate that you will never win, because I'll never agree that your tube amps sound better than mine for the sound I want. And my amp doesn't even sound bad. When I use the amps overdrive1, it sounds perfect for anything that needs a mild distortion, like punk, early metal, but I have a pedal to take care of everything else.
Quote by await_thewinter
Because the majority of people that are tube enthusiasts say how they are so against effects pedals, and distortion pedals, because they are digital.

And then the other people, who jump on bandwagons, and say how tubes are so much better, use distortion and effects pedals themselves, which is changing the tone, and not getting a tube tone at all. So it makes no sense.

Or we use pedals to enhance our sounds, not completely alter them, did you ever thing of that? Such as an overdrive or and EQ to tighten up your sound or boost some frequencies for a solo. Who said we were against effects that are digital? If you get a reverb it's going to be digital unless you spend a ton on a Fender reverb tank. Try reading what people post before you go and try to argue a point.

EDIT:
Quote by await_thewinter
The purpose of this thread was so someone could explain the effects loop to me. Not to get into a debate that you will never win, because I'll never agree that your tube amps sound better than mine for the sound I want. And my amp doesn't even sound bad. When I use the amps overdrive1, it sounds perfect for anything that needs a mild distortion, like punk, early metal, but I have a pedal to take care of everything else.

So instead of trying to make yourself sound good you're just going to be ignorant your entire life? Have fun with that.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Obviously you haven't listened to Burzum, or you wouldn't be telling me that I need a stupid waste of money 30 watt tube amp, and that it will be loud enough to play shows.
I guess you haven't been in a band, where there is a drummer, when even un-miced is loud, and you need at least a 2x12 to be louder than the drums.
Don't even bother posting any more replies to this thread people. This is just like banging your head against a wall, this guy doesn't want advice.

TS, you fail.
Think about it this way. A normal tube amp has a better base sound than a normal SS amp. People use ANALOG (not digital) effects to make different sounds that a tube amp cannot make like flanger,wah, delay, etc. People normally do NOT use distortions for their sound. They use OVERDRIVES to push the amp to make it sound even better. Try using an overdrive on an SS's distortion. It will sound like total crap. Now do the same on a tube amp's distortion. It tightens the sound up and gives it a slight volume and gain boost.

Now I'm NOT trying to get you on the tube side. I am just trying to convince you that tube amps can do things like metal that you think they can't COUNTLESS metal bands have used tube amps with NO effects at all.

Edit: I don't like Burzum's tone at all. If you are happy with it, good for you. Just don't think that there aren't better things out there.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Mar 2, 2008,
I wanted someone (and they still haven't) explained to me how the effects loop works, and how I would use it! Not for you to convince me how a tube amp is better than the amp I have. That is not what I came here to get advise for.
I hate to this say but you sir are an idiot those bands use tube amps for their high gain abilities and then use an OD to boost and tighten up the sound on the same amps.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by await_thewinter
Obviously you haven't listened to Burzum, or you wouldn't be telling me that I need a stupid waste of money 30 watt tube amp, and that it will be loud enough to play shows.
I guess you haven't been in a band, where there is a drummer, when even un-miced is loud, and you need at least a 2x12 to be louder than the drums.

You really don't know much about amps do you? The number of speakers doesn't determine how loud you are, your amp determines that.

Quote by await_thewinter
I wanted someone (and they still haven't) explained to me how the effects loop works, and how I would use it! Not for you to convince me how a tube amp is better than the amp I have. That is not what I came here to get advise for.

Yeah somebody did answer your question, look at the 2nd post in the thread.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Page 1 of 2