I think my picking for unmuted strings is coming along really well because my picking hand just floats at a perfect angle above the strings, quite perpendicular. But when it comes to palm muted picking, the fact that you must touch the side of your wrist to the strings (to mute) makes my hand and pick more angled toward the strings. This seems to make it harder to pick.

Is this how it is for everyone or must I re-evaluate my technique? Shouldn't your picking motions/technique remain consistent on every string you pick on (whether palm muted or not)? I can put up videos if necessary.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas PG's hand seems to only have to be angled SLIGHTLY differently on the palm muted lower strings, and more importantly his picking motions seem to remain consistent going up and down the strings.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 2, 2008,
In all honesty there shouldn't be any difference in technique, if so, very slight. Though you have to work with what is best for you, if you have been doing this for years and are comfortable with it then that is great.

For muting try a couple of different techniques, i.e. use your fretting hand to mute rather than your picking hand, this might sound counterintuitive but it will help with speed. You are lifting your fingers up, as opposed to using your palm, and producing the same affect with no change on your picking hand.

Also, remember it is called Palm Muting, not Side Hand Muting, you shouldn't have to turn your hand to the side to mute, you should be able to do it with the flat side of your hand, but it depends on if you are dealing with individual notes or chords, the technique is truly different for each, in my opinion.
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Right, and I just don't understand how I can truly be "floating" above the strings if I have to angle my hand to touch the strings.

The problem is that when I am playing up on the high strings where palm muting isn't really necessary, my hand is in a more rotated position where the right side of my palm is sort of lifted away from the strings. This is really the only time I feel like I'm "floating." As much as everyone keeps saying palm muting =/= anchoring, something about my palm muting doesn't seem right. My hand is just more angled toward the strings, successfully making my pick more angled to the strings.

Should I put up a video? Maybe I'm just over-reacting and need to practice?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 3, 2008,
I'm not sure what you mean, put up the video?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Put up a vid. It sounds like you might be having the same problem I used to have. It took me forever to break out of it and start learning the proper technique for palm muting.
Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by angling...but put up a video, if you are truly using your palm (& small part of your under-wrist) as the technique calls for, "angling" shouldn't be an issue.
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Ive also got a problem with muting. When im muting and playing a scale or something on seperate strings, i end up missing the strings because i push the strings down with my wrist lowering the action. It sort of just messes up my co-ordination because everything is lower. Any suggestions? Sorry for sort of jacking your thread.
Quote by nugiboy
Ive also got a problem with muting. When im muting and playing a scale or something on seperate strings, i end up missing the strings because i push the strings down with my wrist lowering the action. It sort of just messes up my co-ordination because everything is lower. Any suggestions? Sorry for sort of jacking your thread.

the problem is you shouldn't be pushing at all.... only resting the palm on the strings. your right hand should be totally relaxed, as it should be when your not muting as well. Muting should be as simple as letting (not forcing)your palm touch the strings.
shred is gaudy music