Hi all, new here, I am in the market to get a new fender guitar, without breaking my budget. I am new to this and looking for a decent beginer guitar. I have been looking into getting a used strat. I know that the american, even mex made strats are $$$. My question is would I be satisfied with a squier strat, what is the overall differnce in them, quaility, sound. I know that it is in the eye of the beholding, I just want a decent sounding, easy playing guitar. Is the squiers or do they have a bad action compared to the strats? Would I even notice the diff, between a squire or a strat. Any info on this is a great help on my road to a decent beg guitar.. Again I don't want to spend alot, know that there are decent guitars out there for less then the big dawgs. Thanks much..

Thanks John
If you're a beginner, I would NOT recommend starting on a Fender.
All guitars feel different to different people, so you may be happier with a $500 second hand Kramer than a $2500 Fender Strat.
What kind of music are you playing?
If it's more heavy rock stuff, start with something with humbuckers, like an Epiphone.
If it's more pop, country, blues or something lighter, go a Squier starter pack.

Either way, as a beginner, they aren't bad ways to start off.
Then, once you know what you want, upgrade to a mid-level guitar (higher epiphone, Mex Fender) then once you got it going on, go a nice Gibson, Fender, Caparison, G&L, ESP or whatever may float your boat.

Oh, and welcome to the forums

Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
All guitars feel different to different people, so you may be happier with a $500 second hand Kramer than a $2500 Fender Strat.
If it's more heavy rock stuff, start with something with humbuckers, like an Epiphone.
If it's more pop, country, blues or something lighter, go a Squier starter pack.

Then, once you know what you want, upgrade to a mid-level guitar (higher epiphone, Mex Fender) then once you got it going on, go a nice Gibson, Fender, Caparison, G&L, ESP or whatever may float your boat.

Jayke

+1
you should consider getting a les paul (gibson or epiphone) and a fender amp what ever your needs this combo should deliver you could get the set for about 800$ CAN
Quote by JaykeSucks

Jayke

Thanks. Most likely I will start out with things in the classic rock, bluesy type music, modern rock, nothing hardcore rock yet. I was thinking about getting an acoustic, but just like the electric. I wouldn't have a prob picking up on a squier, but just want to get a lil more knowledge in my brain b4 I go to a shop. Is there any diff between a strat made here or in another country, other then the place its made (quility of wood, materials, acces, electronics on them??? I mean I have seen the squires and starcasters for like 140$$. Are they going to play worth a damn for that?? Again thanks

John

John
Well, the Squiers aren't bad.
Nowhere near a Fender or G&L, but not bad for starting.
If you want versatility, go for something with a Humbucking bridge, and two single coils (HSS setup) pickup-wise.
Because then, if you have the need for a more grungey sound, you can just flip onto the humbucker, but you still have the bluesy cleans of single coils in the neck and mid positions.

For $140, the Squier isn't bad at all.
You can keep it for a while, and over time do it up as a backup guitar aswell.

The American Strats cost more, have better parts and are more solidly put together.
The Squiers are made in Asia somewhere and have much lower quality parts, but still, not bad at all.
So I'd say a Fat-Strat style Squier for value and versatility.

Hope that helped

Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by Fenderjack
Thanks. Most likely I will start out with things in the classic rock, bluesy type music, modern rock, nothing hardcore rock yet. I was thinking about getting an acoustic, but just like the electric. I wouldn't have a prob picking up on a squier, but just want to get a lil more knowledge in my brain b4 I go to a shop. Is there any diff between a strat made here or in another country, other then the place its made (quility of wood, materials, acces, electronics on them??? I mean I have seen the squires and starcasters for like 140$$. Are they going to play worth a damn for that?? Again thanks

John

John

If your going to a shop, play them before you buy, find your sound.
If your a total beginner, go for a cheap acoustic to learn quickly and discover if you really want to play the guitar.
Getting an electric could be a waste of time and money and space in your house if you discover you dont like playing the guitar.

Most people start on Squier Strats, although I'd recommend a cheap gibson for the sound your aiming at.
Quote by JaykeSucks

Jayke

+1
I've heard those Essex guitars are good. They're a strat made by Agile. They go on Ebay for $100. You could check out a Dean Vendetta. You can get on with a nice Floyd rose trem if you want. (with Floyd-$130, Without-90ish) Be sure you don't geta ****ty amp (Marshall MG, Line 6 Spyder,) though. Remember, your amp is the key to good tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Mar 3, 2008,
I wouldn't worry about tone TOO much, to be honest I didn't care about tone until about a year into playing, I just wanted to improve my skill.
(btw I started with a fat squier strat which I realized later was a good choice )
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/