My friend keep saying that tube amp sucks and solid state rocks - indeed, during a recent performance, he unplugged his guitar from the Hot Rod deluxe to that JVM someone had, before plugging into the MG50. He say that they can really fuzz and buzz a lot and blur any mistakes he may have made.

As it is somewhat of a bet of pride, I was wondering if anyone know a tube amp that would make that kind of sound to prove him wrong. The only thing I can think of is a hybrid, though he may end up saying that's not tube amp. (Plus he does own a tube-preamp hybrid, and he say it doesn't fuzz and buzz enough.)
Well if he likes useless fuzz and buzz that makes him sound crappy and will make him a terrible player by covering up mistakes, let him. You aren't going to get that kind of tone with a tube amp unless you use a fuzz pedal or slash the speaker of the amp to get a heavy fuzz sound.
Well, if you dial in an amp to sound muddy, then yes, it will blur mistakes. You can do that with almost any amp though.
I'm not sure what the question is though. You want us to name a tube amp that...what?
It doesn't really matter, nothing somebody on the internet says is going to convince him anyway.

Edit: I think I know what you mean now. A tube amp that's buzzy? The crate palominos, I suppose. I don't understand why you would want an amp that 'covers up mistakes.' First of all, playing like crap and then sounding like crap won't fool anyone. Second, why would you want an amp that encourages you to play poorly?
Last edited by Roc8995 at Mar 2, 2008,
If he wants to be a sloppy player all his life, and let him be.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Well if he likes useless fuzz and buzz that makes him sound crappy and will make him a terrible player by covering up mistakes, let him. You aren't going to get that kind of tone with a tube amp unless you use a fuzz pedal or slash the speaker of the amp to get a heavy fuzz sound.

YOU CAN DO THAT

*runs with scissors to tube amp to cut up speaker*
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
why the hell would you want a tube amp to sound like crap? useless fuzz just damages ears and blurs the good sound. thats why tube is better than solid state. well. one reason anyways.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by danyellenik
YOU CAN DO THAT

Haha yep. I believe that is how the beatles got there really heavy sound in "Happiness is a Warm Gun" I would reccomend it unless you have a random crap left over speaker that you want to get some use out of.
Before fuzz boxes and master volumes became common some early rock groups, i.e. Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin) and the Grateful Dead used to slice their speakers.
Concerning your friend a lot of jazz guitarists say the direct opposite and prefer solid state amps because the speaker cone comes to rest much sooner than tubes, producing a very clean sound.
Next time just give him a fuzz box. That way he can cover up his mistakes on any amp.
i know the exact amp that your looking for
B-52 AT series that thing gets really fuzzy on the gain 2 channel it dosent sound bad but it will cover up your mistakes
oh man you shouldnt have done that
you have no idea what youve done
know the moderaters are ganna get you for blatant flaming
take it back quick take it back EDIT EDIT before they see it
^to all:
I want to show him that tubes are good. Well, that was stupid of me for taking up such a bet... should have seen this a mile away.

New plan: hope he forget the entire thing, then recommend him a fuzz box when the next gig comes. The last thing I want is him complaining about his tone again when he got a tube amp.
Just pile on the gain to cover mistakes. It's not fooling anyone, though.
for someone who knows the electronics of guitar. do you think its possible to make a tube fuzz?? i would image the two would go very nicely cause it would make a very warm fuzz. that is if its possible.

i presume its impossible because nobody has done it.
mr_hankey i like you.

Clean playing is the only way to get anyone that knows anything about guitar playing to respect you as a player.
Quote by no_thing101
for someone who knows the electronics of guitar. do you think its possible to make a tube fuzz?? i would image the two would go very nicely cause it would make a very warm fuzz. that is if its possible.

It's not impossible, it's just a bad idea.
Quote by danyellenik
YOU CAN DO THAT

hold onto those scissors. like said, that was before there were better ways of getting those tones.

cut speakers sound pretty crappy, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by no_thing101

Electro Harmonix English Muff'n.
Quote by CanCan
Electro Harmonix English Muff'n.

That's an OD. Just because it's got Muff in it's name doesn't make it a fuzz. Not even the Big Muffs are proper fuzzes.

Tell your friend to do whatever the hell he wants.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by forsaknazrael

One good argument is that ALL his guitar heroes use tube amps.

FTW
Quote by Jestersage
He say that they can really fuzz and buzz a lot and blur any mistakes he may have made.

It's just so comical that someone's looking for an amp that masks their inability. What's the point?

I want an amp that's articulate as possible....

Then I use fuzz and delay to cover up my mistakes!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by purple tiger
i know the exact amp that your looking for
B-52 AT series that thing gets really fuzzy on the gain 2 channel it dosent sound bad but it will cover up your mistakes

You must have played a bad B-52 AT cause mine is really clear on all channels.