Yeah, another metalhead looking for an amp. Well sorta, I basically want a recordable amp that won't blow the walls down when I crank it. I was wondering if it will take pedals well. Also, recommendations...
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
It takes pedal well, but it is not a metal amp at all. If thats all you have to spend, look at a SS Randall or Roland instead. It's bass response is too flubby, and it doesn't have a lot of natural presence.
From what I've heard metal isn't really its territory. Maybe take a look at the Valveking Royal 8 or the JSX Mini Colossal
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Maybe, if you have a metal muff or something running into it.
On it's own, it can't get metal. Bottom line.
The peavey valveking royal 8 will have more gain on tap, and is more modernly voiced.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I was thinking of getting the head and getting a 12inch speaker cab with a niceish speaker in it.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
What is the Epi Valve Jr good for anywho? I've been eyeing it for awhile because it's a tube at such a low price.
id say its more of a classic rock amp, with a capability to do hard rock if you crank it for all the gain. but its mosly a classic rock amp IMO.

as for metal, i wouldnt say it could do it. i mean if you had a pedal to get most of your gain and such, then maybe. but then you arent getting the full character of the amp.
save up for a used crate blue voodoo, crate stealth, ampeg vl503 or ampeg vh140 combo.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
My VJ Head with 2 cabs (a 10" and a 12") is good for everything EXCEPT Metal. For Metal I fire up my old Roland with a Korg ME Pedal.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
if you play metal you will not be satisfied with this amp. I'm not sure why you are even interested in it. You probably have read this forum and the whole "tube is always better" and want a cheap tube amp because you think because its tube it's better. Thats not the case. Theres solid state amps that kill this amp especially metal wise. Tube isn't always better especially at bedroom levels. I play a tube amp in my band and for shows. But for practice and in my apartment I wouldn't go for a tube amp being an all metal player. Because there are some solid states that give a good saturated gain and good tone.
just to add another post.

ive got the head and a couple of good 1x12s and even a metal muff. it's not a metal amp.
probably not the way you're imagining it.

the other amps suggested would work better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by paranormal5150
if you play metal you will not be satisfied with this amp. I'm not sure why you are even interested in it. You probably have read this forum and the whole "tube is always better" and want a cheap tube amp because you think because its tube it's better. Thats not the case. Theres solid state amps that kill this amp especially metal wise. Tube isn't always better especially at bedroom levels. I play a tube amp in my band and for shows. But for practice and in my apartment I wouldn't go for a tube amp being an all metal player. Because there are some solid states that give a good saturated gain and good tone.

Given this, what's your best suggestion?
I put a ZVex Box of Metal in front of my VJ one time and it actually pulled of some very good metal tones. Of course a $300 pedal kind of kills the virtue of a $125 amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Valve Junior won't do metal.

If you want a low wattage amp that does metal, check out the Peavey Mini Collosal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Valve Junior won't do metal.

If you want a low wattage amp that does metal, check out the Peavey Mini Collosal.

In another topic you've just recommended a VJ to some dude looking for a small amp to play metal on?????
Another thing to consider would be a Fender Champion 600, really transparent tone and if you use the low gain input it has a lot of headroom before it starts to break up, and it's about the same price and spec as a Valve Junior. Stick a Metal Muff in front of it and you might be sorted. But the best thing to do is just try a load of amps out and see what you like best. And don't forget the humble Roland Micro Cube.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
For metal my favorite bedroom amp is the Vox XL high gain series.... I own a Kustom 16 watt solid state with an overdrive pedal to add more gain and it sounds sweet but if i could go back id get the vox xl. I tried the cube and the kustom's tone was much better. The kustom is solid state but it isn't a modeler and has analog reverb. Doesn't have that digi sound. The vox XL is hybrid. It has one tube in it.
I just ordered the VJ combo. Should have it by the end of the week. I've got some decent medal tones in my POD and that's probably the first thing I'll plug in to. The POD certainly turned my Vox DA 20 into a pretty good metal amp when I want one and it's normally not a metal amp. Hoping it does the same thing for the VJ. I'll let you guys know.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Putting a Metal Muff in front of a small tube amp is only if you're like me, and dont play metal; you just dabble. If you're a metal head, go for a Roland Cube, or possibbly a Valbee (if you can find one).
Quote by fergus74
In another topic you've just recommended a VJ to some dude looking for a small amp to play metal on?????

I'm pretty sure I recommended against it and recommended an AD15vt. You could do Metal on a Valve Junior with a pedal like a Metal Muff but it probably won't sound as good.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah you can do metal on anything but it won't sound good. If you are into metal you won't be satisfied with the VJ. I'm telling you solid state is your best bet for metal at low wattage. It's not going to sound like crap like people say. At low volumes solid state can be better.