Which pedals negatively affect tone (specifically, on tube amps)?

I've heard certain types of pedals will suck tone or create a more electronic sound (which is obviously desirable in some cases). Do these pedals defeat the purpose of getting a nice sounding tube amp?
If you have a nice tube amp with a with a great tone, why mess around with the signal? Let the guitar sound like a guitar. Crappy effects pedals can ruin a tone, some compressors, and super crazy metal distortion pedals tend to make everything sound the same. I know from experience that the Dan electro surf and turf compress does that.
I'm not really interested in metal sounds but my friend said I should get an OD pedal b/c I can't crank a tube amp in an apartment, and I was looking into fuzz pedals too b/c I like the Black Keys/White Stripes sound. Will these kinds of pedals ruin my tone?
a good quality pedal will enhance your tone and make it do things you cant with a straight up guitar and amp. crappy pedals will suck your tone and sound like ass. so some pedals are good, others arent.
So if I combined an high-quality OD pedal with a good fuzzbox, how much of the amp's character and sound would still show through? Would the sonic advantages of a tube amp over a solid-state still be noticeable?
yes, the sonic advantages would. i love using my fuzz and my od on my tube amps. the od has a very nice character to it and pushes the tubes in a pleasing way. the fuzz sounds kinda harsh and not very musical on a SS amp, but it really shines on my tube amps. its more that you lose stuff when using some digital effects with low quality AD and DA converters or analog pedals with low quality parts/shoddy construction.

the other thing is that bad pedals will kill some of your tone from your guitar due to poor bypass. too much on this board is hyped about true bypass, so any good bypass will keep your tone nice and warm
Hey, you play free rice!

I've been looking at a maestro fuzzbox, but they're pretty expensive and apparently they don't have good bypass. What would you recommend for that garage-blues rock sound?
Bump. I was looking at the keeley fuzzhead, and the OD/Fuzz combo sounds really nice and I loved the audio samples. At $200, it's pretty pricy though. Are there cheaper alternatives that are just as good or should I just wait until I have enough for the fuzzhead?

And would it work for coaxing a nice overdrive out of my tube amp without having me crank up the volume?
Quote by Definite
So if I combined an high-quality OD pedal with a good fuzzbox, how much of the amp's character and sound would still show through? Would the sonic advantages of a tube amp over a solid-state still be noticeable?

Have you ever cranked you amp up and played through it? I mean cranked! With Volume up like @ 8-9 or all the way, that is what your amp sounds like, all the characteristics should be there. Feedback ( on a tube amp ) should creep in heavy and the tone should be heavenly!
That is the sound and essence of your amps tone. Now at lower volumes OD pedals will bring out that sound plus some depending on your gain and level settings. I don't think any pedal will cover the pure sound of a tube amp, or should I say a tube amp will never sound like a solid state. I suggest you crank that suckah up, and listen to the amp and how reacts with your guitar up close and far away. Then just try to recreate those tones at lower volumes with your pedals. OD pedal with Fuzz is the only way to go if your into SRV, Hendrix etc...
type tones.