Ok i have a bass combo that allows me to disconnect the head and the cab that i bought for around 100 new and have had gathering dust in the closet for 2 years. I can't get more than 20 dollars for it so i wanted to do something else with it (i gave up bass a long time ago and have no bass playing friends).

Now i read on allmusic that the kinks guitarist dave davies slashed the speaker cone of a cab with razor blades and poked pins into it then hooked up his amp to this to get the fuzzy tone of the song "you really got me"

I wanna know if i could do this with my bass amp's speaker, if it would sound any good, and what i would actually do to the speaker.

(just tell me if it is a stupid idea, but i really have no use at all for this amp).
I thought you were going to take the preamp and overdrive it to make it fuzz.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by Dance_of_Death
Ok i have a bass combo that allows me to disconnect the head and the cab that i bought for around 100 new and have had gathering dust in the closet for 2 years. I can't get more than 20 dollars for it so i wanted to do something else with it (i gave up bass a long time ago and have no bass playing friends).

Now i read on allmusic that the kinks guitarist dave davies slashed the speaker cone of a cab with razor blades and poked pins into it then hooked up his amp to this to get the fuzzy tone of the song "you really got me"

I wanna know if i could do this with my bass amp's speaker, if it would sound any good, and what i would actually do to the speaker.

(just tell me if it is a stupid idea, but i really have no use at all for this amp).
It's destructive, and pretty much a one-way street.

By making slices in the cone, this allows air to slip through the slices and the edges of the paper vibrate, when the cone moves. It's ugly and gritty and sort of disgusting, in the way it sounds. But that might be just what you're looking for.

A razor knife or a single-edged razor blade it usually the tool of choice for this.
But I have heard of some people using a pencil and just poking holes in the cone.

Once you damage the speaker, it would be difficult to repair it, and make it work normally. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
From the sound of things, he's got another, good amp for normal use.....

I say go for it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It's destructive, and pretty much a one-way street.

By making slices in the cone, this allows air to slip through the slices and the edges of the paper vibrate, when the cone moves. It's ugly and gritty and sort of disgusting, in the way it sounds. But that might be just what you're looking for.

A razor knife or a single-edged razor blade it usually the tool of choice for this.
But I have heard of some people using a pencil and just poking holes in the cone.

Once you damage the speaker, it would be difficult to repair it, and make it work normally. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

That is pretty much what i'm looking for. I have a mini amp that i use as a fuzzbox but i can't get enough grit out of it.

My question is would it sound too deep because it is a bass speaker?

And would this be pretty much just a trial and error thing, making holes and slits until i like the sound?
Quote by Dance_of_Death
My question is would it sound too deep because it is a bass speaker?
How does is sound now? It will lose a lot of the bass, when you cut holes in it. If it's just a little bassy now, that should work out fine. But if it has no highs at all, cutting holes won't fix that. It will just be "middy".

Quote by Dance_of_Death
And would this be pretty much just a trial and error thing, making holes and slits until i like the sound?
Yup. A little at a time, until you like how it sounds.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.