I can play open chords without looking, but when I am playing barre chords, or simple solos, appregios, scales etc, I need to look at the fretboard. Is that a problem? Should I try to stop looking, or does it just come with experience?
it just comes with experience

you'll relate the noise it makes (providing its in tune) to the fret number in no time

just keep practicing!
just experience. you get a feel for the fretboard after a while, and after experience sets in, its not that you choose not to look down, its that u dont have to.
dude when i started i always had to look at it but after a while you just stop, it comes naturally. dont sweat it, try standing up and playing if you usually sit down and you won't look at it so much
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
After a while it gets easy to move around without looking. It does take a little while though, to get used to it, i won't lie.
Quote by VenomSkies
just experience. you get a feel for the fretboard after a while, and after experience sets in, its not that you choose not to look down, its that u dont have to.

For how long did you play before you didn't have to look?
Depends on what I'm playing. If I've practiced something a long time, I can play it without looking at the fretboard. But, if it's something that I've just learned, I usually look at the fretboard.
I always look at the fretboard when learning something new, it becomes sort of my practice ritual. I learn what I'm playing first with looking at it, and then without. I don't know, it helps me I suppose.
if i stare at it long and hard enough it plays itself, and if it doesn't then I'll curse at it, then finally if that doesn't work I'll light some candles and sacrifice a small animal. Thats as far as i can legally say I've gone to make my guitar play
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Many profesionals look at the fingerboard.A lot of good ones.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I think it just takes time. Kinda like when you make a speech for school for example, and you read your speech several times until you know it in your head.
i look at my fingerboard when im soloing, or learning something new, but thats ABOUT it. whenever im writing, also.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Well it depends on what shoes you have, and it might be a little difficult to do it without watching. I've allways had to watch, still today o.o
For me the amount I have to look is based on complexity. Of course when I get to know a piece well, it does become easier and I don't have to look as much. So, the complexity is not just technical - it's also familiarity...
Even on stuff I've played for ages, I still look down at the fretboard every now and then to keep in check. Nothing wrong with it really, although I guess it could annoy you if you were playing live and wanted to "connect" with the crowd.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
If I'm playing something I already know, then I don't need to look. But if its something new I'm learning I do look. But for the most part I can tell how far apart the frets are. Its not just something that you can really train yourself to do, eventually you're gonna do it without even thinking about it. If the song you're playing is already familiar to you, then start at the first note and you should be able to find the other notes without looking.
I'm also more likely to look when I have to move my entire hand up or down the neck to make sure I land at the right fret...
i usually dont look but when playing Bloodmeat by Protest The Hero i need to look at the fret board while playing the tapping parts
it just takes time. after awhile you wont have to look at the fretboard, especially if you play the same song over and over again.
well your gonna have toi look until your hands become so use to the fretboard you dont have to i suggest just every now and then trying to play something you know without looking yeah youll suk but you get better if you keep at it
Looking at the neck is fine. I can't play unless I have a visual on where my hand is going, I can play without looking directly at it though. (Side vision =p)
Practice. Sometimes i find that to memorize a certain riff or whatever its better to not look.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
i used to play in the dark when i was first starting out now i barely need to look. also the muscle memory helps a lot. i need to look when i do arpeggios though.
I can play a lot of stuff without looking but I do anyway....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by XianXiuHong
So you managed to learn how to play guitar...without looking at which fret/note you're playing?

Hey if Stevie Wonder can do it, why couldn't this guy? Of course Stevie is a musical mastermind and he is probably not...
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
ive never looked at the fingerboard....ever

haha nice one.

anyway yea all these guys are right, its normal to look at first but after u play enough ur muscle memory in ur hands takes care of almost all the rest. of course when ur learning something new u'll look but u wont have to as much, its just second nature after a while.

its exactly like how u had to look down at the road to learn riding a bike but after a while u can turn ur head everywhere and even maybe do no hands or do flips! (if u can do that last one im positive ull eventually not have to look at a guitar fretboard again )
Just takes time... practice... if you have been playing a piece for awhile, you can probably play it standing without looking.... as in, if you are just learning sit and look...

Stick with it
But anyway,what's wrong with looking at your fretboard while playing?I saw a lot of greatly skilled guitarists who look almost constantly at it.You will not be better if you don't look at it (nor worse).
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I dont (always) look.

It really depends how hard the song is. If it requires a lot of concentration I will often look, it's all good posing with a guitar but when you **** up the crowd will know, it's better to play the notes right by looking at the fretboard than play them wrong without.
I practice sitting, and have developed the bad habit of crouching over my guitar, staring at the fretboard.
Quote by killatm
I can play open chords without looking, but when I am playing barre chords, or simple solos, appregios, scales etc, I need to look at the fretboard. Is that a problem? Should I try to stop looking, or does it just come with experience?

i've been playing for a while now and i still look at times, just try to give the audience an eyefull now and then