ok so i know that a major scale would go 1=major 2=min 3=min 4=major 5=major 6=min 7=dim and i know that a minor scale would go 1=min 2=dim 3=major 4=min 5=min 6=major 7=maj. Is this what all chord progressions are based of or can you make modes have harmony too or something?
modes are basically a major scale starting on a different note of the scale (ie dorian mode starts on the second degree). this applies to everything except for the 6th degree, where you'd substitute your harmonic or melodic minor scales normally. if you think about it this way, then the chords shift similarly too. for example, taking again dorian mode, your chords would be:
1=min 2=min 3=maj 4=maj 5=min 6=dim 7-maj
that's what diatonic chord progressions are based off of. essentially, modal harmony would be exactly the same, only having different starting points, and different harmonic centers.

still..that's if it stays strictly in the mode.

if there are accidentals there are a lot more things that chord progressions can go off of. more things than i have time to type up about in the next day...possibly week.
Quote by jomarkdave
that's what diatonic chord progressions are based off of. essentially, modal harmony would be exactly the same, only having different starting points, and different harmonic centers.

still..that's if it stays strictly in the mode.

if there are accidentals there are a lot more things that chord progressions can go off of. more things than i have time to type up about in the next day...possibly week.

thanks guys but can someone try to explain other places a chord progression could go i want to learn as much as i can