Well I've been ghosting these forums for a while, wanting to get better at guitar. You guys are just great in helping people so I decided to take one of my problems over to here.

I just bought a Peavey Transtube Bandit 112 amp and thus far I am at least satisfied with the sound, but not exactly brimming with joy. I play a WIDE variety of music, although I tend to gravitate towards a SOMEWHAT heavier, metal tone, but not by much.

Yes, I hear tubes are the way to go but:

1. I'm not exactly sure what to buy.
2. I don't know if I'm ready/need to make the jump to valve amps just yet.

I've been playing for almost a year, I guess I'm okay, but I guess I need to play my riffs a bit cleaner (read: drop-dead perfect, I need to work on not making any mistakes).

Thanks in advance for any help, you guys are awesome

If you need any more info just tell me :P

EDIT: Budget is $350-400 ish.
Last edited by PureRage at Mar 2, 2008,
hmm with your bidget, i would tell you to keep the amp.

if you can spare a bit more, go for the TUBE!
trust me ive wasted 3 years w/o tube amps, and boy do i regret....
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
fender blues jr.
GREAT little amp for practice!

or if you want to be a bit louder and spend more $,

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
ive been playing for like 6 years and i still dont have a tube amp

its not that i dont want to, its that i cant afford it lol
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
If you can afford it go tube.

And don't worry LPstudio, I got my first tube amp after playing for 8 years, I couldn't afford one but then I got about $3000 for my car(really crappy car paid like $900 origianlly for it) when I got into an accident, so I spent $1000 on a new car, and $1500 on the H&K.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Lmao, gotta love spending more on gear than your car. I didn't, but I do spend more (money and time) on gear then my fiance. What can I say, guitar makes me 10x happier than she does. LOL.

Anyways... If you can't afford to go to, go with the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT. It is the best solid state amp that I've ever played. I even like it more than any tube I've ever played. You sacrifice very little in tone, and you gain just about every effect under the sun. Perfect for the multi-style player.

It is $379.00.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I'd keep it. Bandits are decent sounding solid states in my opinion and you definatly won't get a tube amp as versitile as the bandit for that price.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I'll probly get killed for saying this but maybe a line 6 spider valve 112, really great versatility with little tone sacrifice but still good if you ask me. Tis got bogner tubes.
Quote by Cool55155
I'll probly get killed for saying this but maybe a line 6 spider valve 112, really great versatility with little tone sacrifice but still good if you ask me. Tis got bogner tubes.

Duck!!! I can hear the chopping block axes a swinging.

Wish i could help you man, but i'm still learning about tubes myself. Good luck on your crusade.
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Anyways... If you can't afford to go to, go with the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT. It is the best solid state amp that I've ever played. I even like it more than any tube I've ever played. You sacrifice very little in tone, and you gain just about every effect under the sun. Perfect for the multi-style player.

It is $379.00.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. As amazing as Vox Valvetronix are, they aren't suitable for metal. If TS is gravitating towards a metal tone, he'll want something else.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Thanks for the helpful replies, guys!

Now I've been looking at the amps you guys recommended and I think a Fender amp is just too pricey atm with cash flow problems on my end.

I've looked at the AD50VT, and might infact just go with it, if I can... I'll be making a trip to a music store nearby to give it a go.

Would any of you recommend a Valveking 112 by Peavey?
to be honest, your not going to get the versatility you seek with lower priced tube amps, like the valveking without getting loads of pedals. no more than you will get with the good solid state amps.

if your really looking for a versatile tone, you've got to save
Quote by Supernaut2k
to be honest, your not going to get the versatility you seek with lower priced tube amps, like the valveking without getting loads of pedals. no more than you will get with the good solid state amps.

if your really looking for a versatile tone, you've got to save

I'm glad I got my lower $ tube amp,crystal clear but he is right,having only a 3 way tone & reverb with no gain channel I need pedals,but how much do those cost compared to spending say another $600 to buy a Fender Deluxe or something over $1000 I won't need right now. My 25w tube amp is louder than I need in my house. It's dialing the tone your looking for is the trick. Gibson actually has a nice 1 on sale for $300 new but not sure what size amp or how loud you need it to be. There are plenty of entry level tube amps to try under $400,the Valve JR./Blackheart/Gold Tone it depends on what you need them for & if you have a problem with pedals. I'm not saying I don't want a JCM800 like Angus but realisticaly in my shoes and where I play I certainly don't need a stack. I only paid $200 + 40 shipping for my 25w tube amp & it was modded & upgraded with the tags still on it like brand new. You can find deals around & I'm not 1 bit upset at what I spent. I know it's not a Orange or Marshall but it does the trick & I'm hands on learning about tube amps & pedals
Gibson SG Std / Agile 3100 LP / MIJ Ash Strat
Ibanez TSA15>1x12(G12-65)
Orange OR15H>V212(Vet. 30/ET-65)
Last edited by twisty571 at Mar 3, 2008,
Just stick with what you have, you don't really need a tube amp right now.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()