I recently got a plywood guitar body for very cheap and plan to make a similarly cheap guitar out of it. My question is about the pickups.
What kind of sound can I best get out of a plywood body? I probably won't be able to get incredible sustain and stuff, so it wouldn't make much sense to get hi-gain pickups. That said, what type should I get that would go best with the body wood(s)?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
If you get actives, they don't rely on the body wood. They have a pre-set eq, although some have an adjustable EQ. Regular passives would not sound good in plywood.
Eh...I don't have enough money for an HSS set of actives. I was thinking of getting all lipstick pickups. Would that get a really jangly sound?
If not, could I get normal pickups and an onboard preamp unit?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
lipsticks would probably work out, make yourself a poor man's Rickenbacker (in terms of sound, at least). Danelectros were made of hardboard, after all....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yeah, I'll probably just go with those. Getting them from guitar fetish so a lipstick hb + 2 lipstick singles

this is going to be one weird guitar. Metalish jackson-looking neck (shark-fin inlays, sharp headstock) with a pointy strat-shaped body + all gold hardware, classic-looking trem and pups, and a wine red paintjob with some kind of yellow or gold design painted by my gf
bumpish.

If I wanted better tone could I use normal passive pups and add an onboard preamp?