I don't play, but am trying to help my my 12 year old nephew,a lefty, who just got a guitar and is pretty jazzed to learn. It is a standard right hand guitar. He wants to restring it for left hand play, "like Hendrix."

Took him for a couple strings, and to sign him up for some basic classes, to the local long time music store. I asked the clerk his advice, he suggested keeping the guitar strung as is, and learning to play right handed.

If the "advantage" he claimed were true, it seems to me, every righty would play a left handed guitar.

So , if you have a typical right handed guitar, and are a lefty, what do you do?

Foose
I am a leftie and i play right handed - so was Michael Angelo Batio and Herman Li - two of the fastest and most skilled guitarists ever so go figure - for convenience sake he should learn to play right handed because then he can pick up any guitar and play. Learning to play right handed didn't slow me down at all, I am completely self taught.
If you play a right handed guitar as a lefty, your fretting hand is going to be way more dexterous off the bat, adversely you picking had will struggle. This makes a big deal if your playing classic Spanish stuff but can still be overcome with practice. If he has not started play with it, he might as well go right handed because most guitar are made that way and it is both easier and cheaper to find gear and play other's guitars. As for righties playing lefty guitar, playing the lefty just isn't the status quo, so no one thinks to do it.

However if he is dead set on playing like hendrix, just change the order of the strings. It won't hurt the guitar in any way. But you do lose your cut-away.
They told me the same things. I just bought a left-handed guitar, never regretted it.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Yeah, he'll like the left handed guitar BUT if he learns right handed it will overall be more helpful.

It's just much easier to watch a video and see where their hands are (if they are a righty) since the majority of players are right handed.
I'm technically left-handed, but I tend to do most everything right handed. If it wasn't for an accident when I was 8 years old that left me with a chunk of the top of my middle finger missing I would have naturally played right handed. Instead I had to go the left handed route and it sucks. If you finally find the guitar you want that is all well and good, but you are certainly limited in the choices of guitars and they seem to charge you more as well for left-handed instruments.

If he can just start out and learn right handed he'll be better off for it in the long run in my opinion.
when you turn a righty into a lefty, make sure that the nut is turned around... otherwise the string will start slipping and be out of tune in 3 seconds....
Once you turned a righty into a lefty, always give it a check-up at a local guitarstore, let 'em adjust the bridge for good intonation and keep the right tuning!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
i'm also left handed and when i was younger was just strumming some random guitar and someone said i was holding it wrong so i just firgured holding it right handed was the only and correct way to do it so its definaetly possible for a left hander to learn righty
I'm a "true" lefty, meaning that my primary hand is the left, and you would think that this would help me with fretting a guitar, but guess again. I simply cannot do it as a righty would. I have to have a lefty guitar or I can't play, simple as that. Some people are like I am, and it's all in how our brains are hard-wired from conception. My best advice is to let your nephew make the decision himself. If you force the issue, you might just cause him to lose interest in guitaring altogether. He will know which feels more natural to him. Be sure to expose him to different types of guitars. Not only left or right models, but acoustics, electrics, folk body, classical, the works. He should be able to home in on a style that he feels most comfortable with.
If he should choose a lefty guitar, please don't encourage him to attempt to play a right hander upside down. Chord fingerings are going to be very difficult, and some altogether impossible. Be sure he at least has a lefty guitar, strung properly, so that he can learn correctly. Luck to ya!
I'm left handed but play "normally". (right handed guitar)
But I use my mouse with my left hand.
im a lefty and i am broke so lefty guitars being more expencice and 95% harder to find i wish i could just rewind time. im playing hendrix style on some El Degas i found and restored yeah im comfy and play-wise it was just waaay more comfy i took righty lesons for a month(forced by my instructor) couldent get comfortable and my parent got me a left acoustic i surpassed my right skill in 3 days
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
it works for some people but I never could. You can always get a lefty guitar (its hard to find them though) or restring a right handed guitar left (ala hendrix like you mentioned)

They have a lefty section at most guitar centers. I've been to 2 and they both did so i'm assuming the other ones do as well.
to the poster of this thread
i'd tell your son to learn standard righty guitar first, as most lessons anywhere will be for the righty guitar. except private person lessons.. i meant books
There are actually instructors that force people to play right handed? That seems a bit dumb. I mean, people should try it out, but if they are not comfortable with it let them learn left handed.
umm im a lefty n i jsut picked up a right handed guitar n started playin
but if he set on playin lefty it willnt hurt him ethier way u have to work on ur muscle memory
so i dont think it matters just let him do what he wants
Quote by Ze_Metal
Yeah, he'll like the left handed guitar BUT if he learns right handed it will overall be more helpful.

It's just much easier to watch a video and see where their hands are (if they are a righty) since the majority of players are right handed.

true.

just do whats comfortable...thats what i say...even if this world is made for right handed people
Yeah I also play right handed although i'm a lefty. I decided to start out right handed because I wanted to be able to buy a more wide variety of guitars when I became better
Let him play whatever way is most comfortable to him. I'm a lefty, and I play a lefty guitar. I've never had any problems.
I'm a lefty, and I tried playing right hand.. It just wasn't for me. I practiced for about 6 months or so(I know that isn't much to begin with.). After being frustrated I tried playing a lefty, and I felt much more comfortable. I feel like I progressed much better then when I was playing a righty. I ended up returning the lefty though due to financial reasons, but I think I'm going to pick up a new lefty guitar soon.
i'm left handed and i play right handed only reason i do is because i was to lazy to wait for the store to ship in a left handed acoustic that wasn't 1200 dollars so i bought a righty i never regret it for a second and i can now do some pretty neat complex hammer-on pull-off stuff because of natural strength
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Foose
I don't play, but am trying to help my my 12 year old nephew,a lefty, who just got a guitar and is pretty jazzed to learn. It is a standard right hand guitar. He wants to restring it for left hand play, "like Hendrix."

Took him for a couple strings, and to sign him up for some basic classes, to the local long time music store. I asked the clerk his advice, he suggested keeping the guitar strung as is, and learning to play right handed.

If the "advantage" he claimed were true, it seems to me, every righty would play a left handed guitar.

So , if you have a typical right handed guitar, and are a lefty, what do you do?

Foose

I learned to play right handed. It just seems natural to me now. That way also there's way more guitars out there for me than the lefty ones. If there had a been a better selection when I was just starting, or if I would have heard of Schecter back then, then yeah I would be playing a lefty guitar.
ಥ_ಥ
tbh ima lefty i started on a right handed acoustic

coz i was horrible on it i changed 2 left

flipped acoustic strings and then got lefty electric its just a job for perseverance
I'm a "true" lefty, meaning that my primary hand is the left, and you would think that this would help me with fretting a guitar, but guess again. I simply cannot do it as a righty would. I have to have a lefty guitar or I can't play, simple as that.

Same, been existing in reverse for 16 years and I don't plan to change that.

I'd let him try a right-hander, and see how he likes it.
To be honest, I started out playing lefty, but if I could turn back time I'd just pick a right handed guitar. I get to pick from like 5 guitars in your average guitar shop instead of 100 for right handed players, and to be honest, it just sucks seeing a guitar at a friend and not be able to play a bit.
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
Im a Lefty, And I Do Play Left, I Tried A Righty For A Moth Or So, I Know thats Not long at all, And iv only been playing a guitar for like 7 months anyway... so i suggest getting a cheaper left handed, let him play for a little while, if he dosent like ti, get him a cheap right handed, if he likes it, ask him if he wants to keep it, or if he wants a better one, Chances Are he will want the better one, Then off He Goes, Onto Great Hood!

Mason Fraser
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without Insperation, A Song is Just An Empty Soul On Paper" - Mason Fraser
Epiphone SG
Ibenz - Somthing Or Other....
im left handed but never knew there was a different way to play when i first tried playing a guitar and since i have played several left hand guitars and it just never felt right so i am extremely happy i started right handed
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
I'm a lefty, but I play right handed guitars because the first one I had was right handed. It doesn't even matter IMO, when you are a beginner, because you will be clumsy and awkward either way. Just need some practice, practically anything can be taught, even writing, with your off-hand.
I've only been playing on a regular basis for about a month or so, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I am a natural lefty and have played righty since I started. I was expecting it to feel really awkward, but to my surprise it felt quite natural. Having my dominant hand on the frets just feels right, and since that's where a lot of the work on the guitar happens I think it's an advantage some leftys playing right-handed have.

Getting my strumming down with my right hand is a little bit of a struggle, but it will come with time and practice. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. If he doesn't feel comfortable playing righty there's no reason to force him to play that way.
Complete guitar n00b, and not ashamed to admit it!
I'm a lefty bassist who plays right-handed. Air guitaring and whatnot, I'd always be in a left-handed position, but when I got a bass in my hands for the first time, it was righty, my Uncle's. He taught me the basics, so I just learned to play righty. It was a struggle for a month or so, but I suppose it is for all beginners. :P I'm still working on three finger picking with my off hand, but it's not THAT bad for two fingers.
I can't use a pick for ****, but I still practice, and yes, I know using a pick on a bass is blah, but I don't care, I'd rather learn as many different techniques as I can. :P Oh, and slap bass is pretty hard with my off-hand, but that's because I developed odd habits when I first started slapping, like using the top of my thumb instead of the bone. :P
Im a lefty and I tried playing right-handed and I just cant. My left hand is very dominant so I just bit the bullet and started buying left handed guitars. Yes, the selection sucks but its the way I have to play.
Actually videos work really good when your lefty. Its like looking in a mirror when righties are playing so for me is really easy to pickup on. I have seen a few books out there for lefties. I picked up lefties chord book at sam ash once, but dont use it much as Ive gotten so use to transposing righty stuff over. If he wants to play lefty let him. Yea it can be a pain sometimes but it does keep drunk righthanded people from asking to play stairway on your good guitar.
im left handed in everything i do .. but play right handed .. and im self taught .. i found the fretting to be much easier and comfortable .. and with a little practice .. i finger style pretty well for only playing 3 months .. i think playing righty is really worth it .. convience wise and skill wise