hey, I'm looking to buy a bass; my first actually. My roommate has a Schecter, and I really like the sound of it, but unfortunately, I decided to pursue higher education and therefore I do not have much money because it is funneled into tuition. So I'm looking for a bit cheaper bass, preferably 5 string, and although I try to base it too much on looks, I really like the wood finish.

Any suggestions?
Have a peek around J&B, they have some nice wood finishes and a great beginner bass range. Also take a look at one of the stickies, it has a section of begginer basses. Brands i'd reccomend for a first bass: SX, Yamaha, J&B, squier - mixed feelings about squiers, sammick[?] and maybe ibanez.
Find a used schecter? They are a great bass to grow into really. I have the custom 5 and it's awesome
Is there a big difference between active and passive pickups? If so which is preferable?

Because this might have an effect in what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure of the major difference between passive pickups and active, but I do know that the active pickups require a battery.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
If it's your first bass, generally you would get a passive. But if your coming from guitar, it doesn't really matter.
Maybe Ibanez GSR 205?
Squier P bass 5 string (Don't know if that's too expensive?)
You're a fool, fool
Thanks a bunch,
Yeah, I come from a pretty substantial pool of guitar knowledge, but even so, the required battery input of an active pickup makes me wary of them.
Quote by Demodokos
Thanks a bunch,
Yeah, I come from a pretty substantial pool of guitar knowledge, but even so, the required battery input of an active pickup makes me wary of them.

Well some basses have passive pick-ups but have an active pre-amp(my personal fav). Look into Squire and Ibanez if you are short on cash. I've seen some used MIM Fenders go for pretty cheap too. I highly recommend going to (multiple) music store(s) and playing every bass that is in your price range.... and even some that aren't. that way you choose a bass on how it plays/sounds.... or it might tell you that you need to save up for one of the ones not in your price range.