Hey all. I'm thinking of getting myself an Epiphone Valve Junior as it looks like a great little amp. It pulls off that classic and blues tone really nicely. One thing that I only just noticed is that it has no effects loop. I don't particularly know what it is (I have a rough idea), but I want to know if I need one. I partly understand that it is used for some effects like delay. Am I right? So, the question is: Do I need one? Should I look at getting an amp with an effects loop?

Thanks guys.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
You don't NEED an effects loop.

Effects loops are fairly new and modern innovations in amps. Guys in the 60's and 70's never used one. Sounded fine. great, even. Used delays, phasers, and all kinds of modulation in front of an amp. (Effects loops are great for modulation and time based modulation. Everything should be placed in front of the amp, really.)
do you need one? no, you dont. are they nice to have? yes, they are. i have an amp with (classic 30) and without (blackheart). the c30 sounds very nice when overdriven with my delay and phaser in the loop. the blackheart doesnt take those 2 pedals quite as well. but do they sound bad on the bh? no, not at all. its just a different sound. an amp without an effects loop is fine, so i wouldnt base your decision on the lack of one.
And, the VJ is such a simple circuit, a few parts and some solder will get you one. Just practice those soldering skills.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Hey jof1029 (or anyone else), this is not quite relevant to this question, but how does that Peavey Classic 30 do? It was another amp I was thinking of getting, and I wanted to know how it handled some blues and classic rock.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.