ive only been laying guitar for 2 months so bare with me lol.
when i got my guitar the strings on it were a 8 gauge (or so i was told)
now im using 9 guage ernie ball the ones in the orange packet
to be more precise.
any way a fair few of the songs im trying to learn atm are played in dropped c some are even drop b, ive been told that 9 guage strings wont hold the tuning and some thicker sets are very hard to solo with.
so basically i need a good all round gauge that can hold regular tuning, drop d and drop c.
what would you guys recommed? also would it affect my neck if i made a jump from say 9's to 11's? any help is great thanks.
For drop B and C, you should get 12's. The heavy gauges will not effect your neck if you keep it in those really low tunings.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
For drop B and C, you should get 12's. The heavy gauges will not effect your neck if you keep it in those really low tunings.

+1
Anything lighter will just be sloppy. Anything heavier is uncomfortable.
Sorry for the double post, but my edit button does not seem to work.

Your truss rod will probably have to be adjusted, as well as the intonation. Assuming you're a newbie, you should let a pro do this (Just go to the shop were you bought your guitar). You can really f*ck up your guitar if you don't know what you're doing when adjusting the truss rod.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

x2

anything heavyer then this you run into the lows vibrating against the frets.
I play 11's in standard, I'd go 12's but I'd have to custom order a set.
For drop C. imo anything lower than D just sounds the same, but a set of 11 or 12 should do the trick.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I'd suggest using 11-54's. Thats what I generally use when I'm playing in drop C. It gives you nice stable lows and keeps the high strings thin enough to be comfortable while playing leads.
i use 10's and i play in drop B it feels alright alittle loose at first but i got used to it....and i didnt knko they made 8's
Quote by Dyers
i use 10's and i play in drop B it feels alright alittle loose at first but i got used to it....and i didnt knko they made 8's

Yeah, 8's are custom lights normally.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)