Been have this debate with my friends for a while. What do you think is best for a band, signed or unsigned? I guess they both have there advantages and disadvantages but what does everyone else think?
what do you mean? saying you are signed to a label that doesn't exist to make you stand out?
Well.

Signed (assuming by a major label, my ideal label, roadrunner) - Recording is payed for, tours are booked for you, major publicity, tons of fans through that publicity, big name bands and producers are interested in you, you can actually afford to have a decent lifestyle without having a second job, endorsements are easy to comeby, you've got extremely succesfull producers knocking at your door, Kickass tourbus instead of a crappy van, transport and roadcrews and etc all taken care of, multi national exposure is possible and likely.

unsigned. (Strictly indie, no indie labels etc.) - Book everything yourself, probobaly wont make it out of the state unless your incredibly succesfull, rely on strictly your own means to promote and record, no producers knocking at the door unless your some sort of wunderkind band, no road crews, tours where you sleep on couchs and in the back of a van with the rest of the band, no name recording studios for the most part, few if any endorsements,

I guess it all comes down to how open you are to compromise. Personally, I dont mind a succesfull producer helping out with my band, as long as we still enjoy the music.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I prefer signed bands, because I enjoy good to excellent cd quality as well as the ease of acquiring their cds. But there are a lot of unrecognized talented unsigned bands out there. It's all about the music really man, but sometimes it's hard to tell with sloppy recordings. Ehh. There are a lot of horrible signed bands though. :/

myspace.com/weasheroesband
what are advantages of being unsigned? hardcoreness?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
a lot of major label will take creative rights away from bands for their first few albums... Sony offered my friend's band a major deal, but they wanted to write most of their next album so they denied it. And for it, the next album they made KICKS ASS
Yeah.. I said signed to them.
But they came back with "Unsigned bands will make more money because there is no middle man"
But if your signed.. pretty much everything is taken care of and all you have to worry about really is playing.
Quote by lukew92
Yeah.. I said signed to them.
But they came back with "Unsigned bands will make more money because there is no middle man"
But if your signed.. pretty much everything is taken care of and all you have to worry about really is playing.

50% of sales goes to manager/label.. other 50% is split up between band
Quote by touji-za-nai
50% of sales goes to manager/label.. other 50% is split up between band

I heard that on major labels you only earn about 41 per sale, and independant about $2? As for unsigned it kind of depends.
Quote by Regression
I heard that on major labels you only earn about 41 per sale, and independant about $2? As for unsigned it kind of depends.

maybe, that sounds about right.... the gig money is an unsigned band's main income... and that aint much vs 50% of international sales
Depends, do you want to make a career out of the music? Do you want it to be actually about your music? Well really only way to make money enough to live purely off music unsigned is as a cover band, original bands without any sort of label have alot of trouble making enough money to support every member. Now a signed label, ill take it you mean major. Ok lets say you dont really have a big fan base before your signed to this label, they signed you because they want to mould you themselves. You have people who organise publicity and tours for you, they give you the money to make and produce the cd and help organise all that. Now assuming they are using you purly to make a copy band that will sell, then you loose control of your music/musical integrity. Now really as long as they arnt using you a label is easily the way to go, and even if they are a little, after a good cd or 2 then they give you more control im sure. I dont see how you could even compare unsigned to signed.