Ok so I've decided that im gonna give my old squier strat some life and give it a new paintjob and do some maintennance on it and give it a good clean.
So anyway heres the guitar, now 1 question the finnish that is on it at the moment is a like metallic sort of thing, do I need to sand the guitar down before I paint it? Or can I just paint over it?

Also can I just spray paint it? Or do I need special paint?

Edit: Also im thinking of doing a frankenstrat paintjob on it, what do you think?
HI
I assuming thats not your exact guitar or I think it looks great
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
dont do it dude !!! unless you know what your doing you'll screw up the tone of the guitar, trust me. to many coats of lacquer or paint and its shot
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Nah its not my actual guitar in the pic its more beat up etc than that.

Oh really, if I did like.. 1 coat of white all over then red over than with a few stripes of black and white, do you think that would effect the tone?
HI
Its not as easy but very doable and no you wont kill the tone if you use the proper paints and a normal lacquer clear coat. You'll have to sand down the original finish and paint till its almost bare wood but you dont wanna break the sanding sealer and whatever else they covered the wood with to protect it or you'll have to re-apply it.
Then you add 2-3 coats of primer depending how well your coverage goes. Let that dry and possibly light sand inbetween coats (when dry) to get a nice smooth finish. Once the 2nd coat of primer goes on you should be fine with not needing to sand. After that you're looking at about 3-4 coats per color, or more. Like I said depending how much coverage you get and wet sand inbetween coats to get rid of any runs or spots that aren't smooth once your coat dries. Then you're looking at about 6 coats or more of clear finish. Again depending how thick you lay it on. Better to do less paint and more coats to make sure its smooth. Then you wet sand the clear finish and buff.
Thats about as simple as I can explain it. Look at reranch.com for a great tutorial. STAY AWAY FROM KRYLON AND KRYLON CLEAR COAT!! Look into Lacquer paints and finishes. Dupli-Color and Rustoleum are safe bets if you're using rattle cans.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Its not as easy but very doable and no you wont kill the tone if you use the proper paints and a normal lacquer clear coat. You'll have to sand down the original finish and paint till its almost bare wood but you dont wanna break the sanding sealer and whatever else they covered the wood with to protect it or you'll have to re-apply it.
Then you add 2-3 coats of primer depending how well your coverage goes. Let that dry and possibly light sand inbetween coats (when dry) to get a nice smooth finish. Once the 2nd coat of primer goes on you should be fine with not needing to sand. After that you're looking at about 3-4 coats per color, or more. Like I said depending how much coverage you get and wet sand inbetween coats to get rid of any runs or spots that aren't smooth once your coat dries. Then you're looking at about 6 coats or more of clear finish. Again depending how thick you lay it on. Better to do less paint and more coats to make sure its smooth. Then you wet sand the clear finish and buff.
Thats about as simple as I can explain it. Look at reranch.com for a great tutorial. STAY AWAY FROM KRYLON AND KRYLON CLEAR COAT!! Look into Lacquer paints and finishes. Dupli-Color and Rustoleum are safe bets if you're using rattle cans.

Ohok thanks alot mate that helped alot haha, Ill have to go get the paint tomorrow then, oh and do you know around how much a soldering iron is going to cost? I need one to put the electronics back in after I paint it right?
HI
Go to Radio Shack, no more then $15. Just know how to solder, you gotta heat the object you're gonna solder the wire onto. In that case you gotta be careful with pots so you don't overheat them. Look up cold joints. You need good solder gun to make sure the connections will be done right and proper solder
Sorry forgot to mention this earlier. What you wanna use if you use rattle cans are lacquer paints. I've heard good results with those and apparently they're good for your tone
yeah i just painted the headstock on my strat. spray, wait till dry, sand, clean, spray, wait till dry, sand, clean. Keep repeating this process depending on how dark you want to get it. Then apply a clear coat, then sand lightly then another clear coat. Also i found that while i was waiting for it to dry, it would get covered in little specs of dust, so best to erect a small tent of glad wrap over it while its drying to avoid this. Good luck!!!
your gonna want to sand it... and yesh if its bare wood you can spraypaint it might not look all that super but yeah it can be done
I think the guitar looks great like it is... You could just remove the logo, and maybe paint the headstock black.

PS: I am not experienced with customizing guitars at all, so don't ask questions :P
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Thanks guys ok here what went down today,

After school I went and bought sandpaper sanding block thing, and a can of red, black, and white spray paint, oh and it's lacquer paint.
So this afternoon I have sanded most of the front, so im going to keep sanding tomorrow arvo, and I'll try pick up a soldering iron tomorrow.

So heres where im confused, when I paint it im going to spray it all white then put the tape on then spray it all red then take off the tape for the white lines, so how will I get the black lines in?
HI
Quote by StratPat
Thanks guys ok here what went down today,

After school I went and bought sandpaper sanding block thing, and a can of red, black, and white spray paint, oh and it's lacquer paint.
So this afternoon I have sanded most of the front, so im going to keep sanding tomorrow arvo, and I'll try pick up a soldering iron tomorrow.

So heres where im confused, when I paint it im going to spray it all white then put the tape on then spray it all red then take off the tape for the white lines, so how will I get the black lines in?

What look are you going for? Eddie Van Halen's? The Frankie (red, white and black) is not easy to pull off cause of the position of stape when you put the final color of paint on (red). If you're going to paint it like his Kramer 5150 then that is much easier. I'll paste you some links and visit reranch.com and read their tutorial. If you f'up just let it dry, sand and start all over
Anyways here's a basic step by step on how this guy did his own 5150, he even tells you what width tape to buy....
http://www.crazywebbys.com/~5150/index.htm

and heres a forum post on how this guys 5150 replica turned out. His job is sick, he got the relic/used look to it perfectly. Use those pictures so you know where to place your tape front and back. There are about 10 great pictures on that whole thread so go through the pages....
http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=681126

If you wanna do an even simpler job and one that not many do then do EVH's VH1 paintjob. His black and white original Frankie during their first album. Since you got a Strat shaped headstock that would look the best I think. Its easy, after you apply the primer of course you add your black coats, once thats done place your tape however you want or copy his design. Then shoot your white and get it covered well. Remove the tape and the black lines stay. Taa daaaaa Good luck man, have fun with it
Quote by DSOTM80
What look are you going for? Eddie Van Halen's? The Frankie (red, white and black) is not easy to pull off cause of the position of stape when you put the final color of paint on (red). If you're going to paint it like his Kramer 5150 then that is much easier. I'll paste you some links and visit reranch.com and read their tutorial. If you f'up just let it dry, sand and start all over
Anyways here's a basic step by step on how this guy did his own 5150, he even tells you what width tape to buy....
http://www.crazywebbys.com/~5150/index.htm

and heres a forum post on how this guys 5150 replica turned out. His job is sick, he got the relic/used look to it perfectly. Use those pictures so you know where to place your tape front and back. There are about 10 great pictures on that whole thread so go through the pages....
http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=681126

If you wanna do an even simpler job and one that not many do then do EVH's VH1 paintjob. His black and white original Frankie during their first album. Since you got a Strat shaped headstock that would look the best I think. Its easy, after you apply the primer of course you add your black coats, once thats done place your tape however you want or copy his design. Then shoot your white and get it covered well. Remove the tape and the black lines stay. Taa daaaaa Good luck man, have fun with it

Oh great! Yeah im going for EVH's, ahk I should be ok then!
Again thanks alot you've been heaps of help mate cheers
HI
Ok, so now the guitar is fully sanded, and im just wondering do I need to use and wood primer or anything like that before I start painting it?
HI
Quote by StratPat
Ok, so now the guitar is fully sanded, and im just wondering do I need to use and wood primer or anything like that before I start painting it?

Well I hope you didnt sand too much, there should be a light film of sealer on there. Anyways yea get some primer (a few layers) on there of course like I state before in previous posts. Go to reranch.com its got a whole write up of the steps. So just follow that along and you should be fine. Post some pictures too man of your progress.