Page 1 of 2
So I am going to guitar center with about 800 bucks this week to buy myself a new amp. I really want a half stack but with that price I cant afford a tube half stack. So would it be safe to go with a combo like a valveking 212 or maybe a b-52 and good distortion pedal or what do you think would be a decent SS half stack? If it is a combo it has to be 2-12's. Also I am needing a southern/classic rock tone. Thanks for any help.
My friend bought a Crate ss half-stack which seemed really good at the time, but now he's got a Vox AC30 he doesn't touch it.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
I am playing a Crate GLX 65 now and I hate the thing. I am getting as far away from crate as I can.
this is a good crate not like that crap ss crate.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by ebay
This is a Crate Guitar amplifier made with tubes in the pre amp and power stage of this amplifier.The amp is as loud as a Marshall of comparable wattage and has an extra gain stage that can only be used with a footswitch. The footswitch is not offered by Crate anymore and a working footswitch is manufactured by the designer of the amplifier at a seemingly reasonable cost.The designer of the amplifier is Lee Jackson an experienced amplifier designer that has work experience with many of the top name tube guitar amplifier companies.I recommend buying the foot switch for additional operation of the amplifier.The amplifier is also a good amplifier for amplified harmonica playing.This amplifier has great performance for an amplifier in the cost range in my opinion.Check out the good reviews on the web for this model.It cranks.

Wtf? Seriously, way to tell about the amp (not that it's not a good amp - I just don't know).

Also, if you want classic rock sounds, you DON'T need a distortion pedal with an amp that can do metal on it's own. Overdrive pedal is worth considering tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
you could also find a jcm800 or jcm900 slx combo in that price range.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Fama
Wtf? Seriously, way to tell about the amp (not that it's not a good amp - I just don't know).

Also, if you want classic rock sounds, you DON'T need a distortion pedal with an amp that can do metal on it's own. Overdrive pedal is worth considering tho.

What overdrive pedal do you have in mind for the sound I want. And do you guys think a VK would be to "METAL" for southern rock? I am not nuthugging the valve king its just that it is in the price range.
The crate 400 watt head or whatever it is... SS is a really good solid state amp. I played on it at guitar center and it def sounded bad ass. I use a 6505 and this thing almost sounded better. The reason it has so many watts is because its solid state and when you turn this amp up it won't sound like crap. With tube amps you don't need as many watts. Usually even a 150 watt solid state amp will sound muddy when cranked. This amp sounded perfect and the low end i could feel in my chest. Look it up. It was around 800. For a cab you could go for the behringer 400 watt cab. They make good cabs.
Does it have to be bought at Guitar Center?

I'd rather buy somewhere else. Something like a Traynor YCV50 Blue would be great for Souther Rock and Classic Rock. Best Marshall-voiced amp for under 1000 bucks. Maybe even then some.

BTW, why does have to be a 2x12"? The extra speaker doesn't make it that much louder - just a whole lot heavier.
Quote by axx123
Also I am needing a southern/classic rock tone.

You shouldn't even be thinking about a SS halfstack, so stop it!

Get yourself a Peavey Classic 50 212. You'll thank me.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Slayer566

just quit...stop posting and never come back.
If you want classic rock/southern rock for 800 dollars, look no further than a classic 30/50 or a Traynor.
Quote by paranormal5150
For a cab you could go for the behringer 400 watt cab. They make good cabs.

Sigged.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by forsaknazrael
Does it have to be bought at Guitar Center?

I'd rather buy somewhere else. Something like a Traynor YCV50 Blue would be great for Souther Rock and Classic Rock. Best Marshall-voiced amp for under 1000 bucks. Maybe even then some.

BTW, why does have to be a 2x12"? The extra speaker doesn't make it that much louder - just a whole lot heavier.

Yeah GC is about the only option I have for my area. I have a 1-12 and the 2-12 I believe will have more bottom end and sound more solid. So yeah I had rather have the 2-12.
Quote by axx123
Yeah GC is about the only option I have for my area. I have a 1-12 and the 2-12 I believe will have more bottom end and sound more solid. So yeah I had rather have the 2-12.

it does add a little bottom end, but you could also just turn up the bass for the same effect. Usually that bottom end only comes in play when you're doing the chugs. Which you're not.
i'd say either a classic 30/50 or a traynor man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
For souther/classic rock tone? Go try out a peavey classic 30. $600 new. $300 to 400 used
Quote by kool98769
it does add a little bottom end, but you could also just turn up the bass for the same effect. Usually that bottom end only comes in play when you're doing the chugs. Which you're not.
i'd say either a classic 30/50 or a traynor man.

I will for sure give the classic 30/50 a try. IF GC has them in stock that is.
If you don't need cleans you could get a Peavey Windsor half stack (tube) and you would still have some cash to spare.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Marshall DSL, Peavey's, Traynors, all good options.

The only solid state halfstack rig I would ever play is a Line 6 Vetta II or an HD-147, and those will run you the same as a professional tube-rig. Story short - stick to tube combo
Quote by soul_power
If you don't need cleans you could get a Peavey Windsor half stack (tube) and you would still have some cash to spare.

Do you think a EQ could bring the cleans up to par?
Quote by kool98769
just quit...stop posting and never come back.
If you want classic rock/southern rock for 800 dollars, look no further than a classic 30/50 or a Traynor.

he was asking about a overdrive pedel, so why don't you just take a break and learn to read then come back to post .
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by axx123

Well, that's unfortunate. GC doesn't usually stock Traynors.

They're great amps, though, and if you want Marshall-y tones (since a lot of the bands you listen to probly use some sort of classic one) the YCV50 Blue is great.

But hey, if you get the tones you want out of the Classic 30, go for it.

As for Windsor's clean, no EQ is going to help. Cleans are almost non existent on that amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, that's unfortunate. GC doesn't usually stock Traynors.

They're great amps, though, and if you want Marshall-y tones (since a lot of the bands you listen to probly use some sort of classic one) the YCV50 Blue is great.

But hey, if you get the tones you want out of the Classic 30, go for it.

As for Windsor's clean, no EQ is going to help. Cleans are almost non existent on that amp.

Still not sure on the classic 30 but I know lots and lots of people from UG say they are good amps. BUT I have not played one yet so I do not really know how they sound. The Traynors look great and would love to give one a try. I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Nashville so surely someone there will stock them. Thanks for the heads up on the Windsor.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah. Check craigslist - never know what's up for sale on there.

yea you could even snatch up a marshall jcm
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by axx123
Do you think a EQ could bring the cleans up to par?

You can get a clean out of it just by turning the gain down and rolling off the volume on your guitar but it wont be a very loud clean. Loud enough for practice and maybe jams but not gigs.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
If you get a Valveking (I would try one for your music) the 112 50 watt combo is the best bang for the buck. When you get into 212 or halfstack VK's its not as good a deal and there are other amps which can compete in its price range. If you get a 112 you can always add a 412 cab later and have the best of both worlds: combo for most gigs and half stack for massive power. Its what I do.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^If you're gonna go with a VK, I'd just grab the combo..

OK the VK 2-12 combo at my local GC is only 500. I would have room to grab some pedals and stuff with the extra cash.
Page 1 of 2