So I got 9s down from 10s and notice fretbuzz. I am only getting it on the low e. I raised the action a little bit but it only gets worse unless I raise it really high for some reason. I noticed the first fret marker has risen on the low e side and there's a small gap between the fretboard and the marker. This appears to be what's causing the buzz. How do I fix it? Obviously I could bang it with a hammer but that would probably wreck half the guitar and I don't know if that would make it stay down.

Cheers.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
A thinner gauge string will oscillate more when plucked. I think thats the term....hmm anyways a thicker gauge will actually give you less buzz cause of how the string vibrates. You'll have to mess around with the action till you find a sweet spot. Might do slight truss rod adjustments, or at least I would and see if it makes a difference just know the point where it was at when you started. a small line with a Sharpie can be used as a guide as to how much you turned the truss rod. If you can't hear the buzzing through the amp don't worry about it. Even Vai said slight buzzing can't be avoided on an electric and EVH would apparently drop his action till he heard buzzing and then back off a tad.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
A gentle tap with a rubber mallet on the offending fret will do the trick, thats how they are put in... , but make sure your guitar is fully supported, if it comes out again check with your guitar store, it will need a bit more than you can do at home, a new fret wire and re fret..

Be careful when adjusting the truss rod, if you are not sure, seek some advice..
when you change to a lighter gauge. and if you removed all the strings in doing so, there's a good chance your neck relaxed.

the fret might be a little high and with the correct tools, you can work on the fret like said.
rubber or timy hammer, a quick and careful tap in. being sure not to flatten the fret.

also, unles you are sure that the fret was level and is now raised, a slight truss rod adjustment, can fix the problem, because the buzzing wasnt there when 10s were on.

so also, fret the low E at the first fret, at the same time.
fret the low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets. 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you dont have enough bend.

if that's the case, repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The high e snapped, so that was already missing. I started on the low e and removed and replaced them one at a time.

I don't really want to screw with the truss rod since I'm inexperienced. Last option really.

The strings are about half a mm above the 7-9 frets when I do the thing.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
yeah, you can use more room, so that's going to be the problem.

you should be able to fit a credit card in that space.

anyway, work on the fret, and if you restring have the guitar store do it for you and ask them to look at the truss rod. or put on 10's.

if you decide you want to adjust the truss rod, it's a very, very small turn.
i'll explain, just let me know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

There's also a tiny of of buzz on the A. But I just realised that there's buzz on the E if you fret it all the way up to the 12th or so, but it's not bad there; it's definitely the worst open.

I'll try the fret this arvo. If it doesn't work I'll take some pics so that you can see and can help me with the truss rod.

Cheers, I appreciate it.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
I really don't believe that removing all the strings while changing them, doing a cleaning on the fretboard for example and then putting a fresh set on would throw your neck so much out of whack. The neck is not that fragile.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
I really don't believe that removing all the strings while changing them, doing a cleaning on the fretboard for example and then putting a fresh set on would throw your neck so much out of whack. The neck is not that fragile.

believe what you want, it's the truth and it happens all the time.

when you put lighter strings on, the neck relaxes. it's not "out of wack" or broken. it's just more straight or back bowed as compared to before.
and a slight turn of the truss rod can return relief to the neck and that buzz will go away.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok man, at least ur honest. but it's closing in on 20,000 posts now. when i tell you i've seen it all, that's something else you can believe.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I had my guitar teacher look at it and he said that the neck is curved up rightwards (bass string side). It is the same when I look at it.

So do you still want photos or should we get on with the truss adjustments?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Mar 5, 2008,
i don't need a photo. I am a little concerned as to why you say the neck twisted.

a good way to check, is to Fret the low E, 1st and last fret, like said, up there.

and then compare that to the space when you fret the High e, 1st and last.

but you dont have enough relief so, you can slack the strings a small bit, and using the correct sized allen wrench, you can turn the truss rod nut 1/4" COUNTER clockwise.

dont force the turn. that's a Very small amount. retune right after the adjustment, and let the guitar sit an hour or so before remeasuring.

dont adjust any more than 1/4" today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62